Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wilner Woodshed's the Pac12 Network

The Pac-12′s financial future: Comparing TV revenue to the SEC and Big Ten

I don't really give a shit about this stuff, but I know some out here like to beat this up.
In two years, the Big Ten will have a new Tier I deal, and it’s expected to be a whopper.

At that point, the cycle will be complete. All the leagues will have renegotiated their deals in the era of soaring rights, and the Pac-12 could very well be in the same position it was five years ago relative to the SEC and Big Ten:

That position is millions of dollars behind on a per-school basis.

Comments

• CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Back to where it all started.

I don't really think this is a story, anyone with half-a-brain knew that this would happen once every other conference got their new TV deal. TV executives aren't dummies, they know people in B1G and SEC country will pay/watch way more content than PAC12 people. It was just a matter of time til this happened and everything is right back to where it is supposed to be.

Only thing this really effects is schools like: OSU, Utah, WSU and the Arizona schools to an extent because they aren't getting as much as their peers, they don't have as much to spend (besides UA Bball), and no one really gives a rip about them. Add that to the fact that cost of attendance is going to take millions out of their pockets each year, along with full-time nutritional staffs, paying for food, etc. and those are some big new costs coming up for the smaller schools.

If anything this is good news again for schools like USC, UCLA, UW, UO because of their built in advantages.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,299
    But but but people like watching replays of softball classics during prime time
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,731
    Do the other conference networks suck as much as the pac12 network? P12 is root sports level or worse
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    phineas said:

Do the other conference networks suck as much as the pac12 network? P12 is root sports level or worse

I would do Ashley Adamson in a heartbeat.

In.a.heartbeat.

• RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

phineas said:

In.a.heartbeat.

My nuts on her chin...
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    I can watch every network except the pac12 network
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

phineas said:

In.a.heartbeat.

My nuts on her chin...
    Relevant:

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    The bottom line is that most of the schools in the Big 10 and SEC are totally invested in everything about their schools ... in the PAC we have so many other interests that we're not invested in sitting down on Saturday afternoon and planning our time around the baseball team.

Think about it this way ... LSU fills up 10k per game for baseball. PAC schools? Not so much. That's one of the biggest differences.

Of course, the other primary difference is that those outside of the West Coast could care less about the PAC for the most part ... whereas people from around the country have ties to the Big 10 and SEC.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

WTF?!? I mean WTF!!!!

I drop an Ashley Adamson reference and it gets one upvote and one WTF!.

Somebody else drops pics of Larry Fucking Scott and they get two Awesomes.

That's just wrong.

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Tequilla said:

The bottom line is that most of the schools in the Big 10 and SEC are totally invested in everything about their schools ... in the PAC we have so many other interests that we're not invested in sitting down on Saturday afternoon and planning our time around the baseball team.

Think about it this way ... LSU fills up 10k per game for baseball. PAC schools? Not so much. That's one of the biggest differences.

Of course, the other primary difference is that those outside of the West Coast could care less about the PAC for the most part ... whereas people from around the country have ties to the Big 10 and SEC.

Why would you want to watch college baseball when you could in the mountains, on your boat, chilling on the beach, etc.
  • SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,450

WTF?!? I mean WTF!!!!

I drop an Ashley Adamson reference and it gets one upvote and one WTF!.

Somebody else drops pics of Larry Fucking Scott and they get two Awesomes.

That's just wrong.

Mine moves

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    In two years, the Big Ten will have a new Tier I deal, and it’s expected to be a whopper.

At that point, the cycle will be complete. All the leagues will have renegotiated their deals in the era of soaring rights, and the Pac-12 could very well be in the same position it was five years ago relative to the SEC and Big Ten:

Until it's the P12's turn to renew, when it will again (briefly) have the most lucrative TV deal. Then the SEC will trump it, then the BTen will trump that, and so on ad infinitum. The key word here is "cycle."

How is any of this evidence of Larry Scott's incompetence? At least he's got the Pac in that top 3 group, well ahead of the B12s and ACCs of the college world.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    TTJ said:

How is any of this evidence of Larry Scott's incompetence? At least he's got the Pac in that top 3 group, well ahead of the B12s and ACCs of the college world.

Are you new or related to Fleenor? The Pac12 network sucks.

HTH

Tequilla said:

Why would you want to watch college baseball when you could in the mountains, on your boat, chilling on the beach, etc.
    You realize you just proved my point?
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    MisterEm said:

Are you new or related to Fleenor? The Pac12 network sucks. HTH

Meh. There's a lot of things I'd change if I was running the network. But it's making money for the league.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Tequilla said:

Jesus Christ.

This is about as stupid a fucking statement as I have ever seen you type.

Are you saying people from the Pac don't ever leave the west coast?

Jesus.
    No - what I'm saying is that we don't quite have that built in gung ho unbridled support and interest in ALL of the programs and going ons as those in other parts of the country. Those in the SEC tend to revolve around what is going on with their schools.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,161

So if you’re scoring at home, we have these projections for TV-related revenue for 2017-18, on a per-school basis:
    SEC: $35.6 million
    Big Ten: $33 million
    Pac-12: $22.95 million

shit guys, in poor flyover states, they have nothing but football so it make sense they get more scrilla.

if im larry scott (which im glad im not), im not overly pissed here*.

if im mike slive im thinking "we only get $2.6mm more than the b0g? what the fuck am i doing wrong? what the fuck is jim delany doing right?"

*$10mm less per school for the p12 vs the b0g is a shit deal, i aint sayin its not.