Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

An Apple a Day?

I read an article in the Sacramento Bee about Shaq Thompson and his training for the combine... with regards to what he has learned these past 6 weeks he was quoted as saying:

“Your body is everything. In college, it’s different. You eat what you want. No one listens to a nutritionist, but now you have to. My mom won’t believe it, but I’m eating vegetables now."

I can't believe that with all the money UW spends on its athletes and their training that they do not have even basic nutritional education and guidance. Eating an optimized diet could have as much an impact on player growth and development over a four year period as ANY type of training they currently receive.Where is the disconnect? Why is Shaq just now learning the fundamentals of nutrition?

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/prep-plus-blog/article10653902.html#storylink=cpy - clear

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    UW hired a full-time nutritionist when Petersen was hired. One of his first hires after Socha, it's a big deal to the staff and with recent rules passed they can feed all the football players all the time basically.

Maybe Shaq didn't listen to the nutritionist but it is a big deal at UW now. Glad to see he finally got the message.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    Falls on the coach.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The players aren't under supervision 24/7. And they are poor. Fast food and pizza are a staple of most 18-23 year old's diets.

Except as an athlete your aren't "most 18-23 year olds".

There really is no excuse other than Sark giving impressionable high schoolers poor eating habits.

The training table at the boathouse was great, get pretty good free food, have some fucktarded history major do your pointless classes homework on the franko-Prussian war, bang a cheerleader or volleyball player in the lockerroom downstairs.

No reason to not eat at the training table, that being said, it always seemed like the football players largely avoided it even before Sark was the coach. No idea why. Weird culture thing?
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I remember reading articles during the last offseason that Jaydon Mickens was bummed he couldn't get french fries at lunch anymore and had to each veggies.

Also, now that all the food that is provided by UW to athletes is free now, there should be more kids sticking to the meal-plan provided by Socha and the nutritionist.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Chocolate milk used to make you faster
  • Options
    CMBTvet05CMBTvet05 Member Posts: 8
    5 Up Votes Photogenic Testing 1 First Comment
    HuskyInAZ said:

In your post, you quote Shaq, "no one listens to a nutritionist." Perhaps that should be your first clue. And based on the body types of last year's OL, I'm pretty sure they ignored the nutritionist as well.

Get the right type of player, they will heed the advice of the nutritionist and reap the benefits. But at the end of the day, they are 18-23 year olds. At that age, I'd have told a nutritionist to pound sand as well.

@HuskyInAZ I hear ya but i'm suggesting that nutrition can make such a huge difference in player development and performance that it should be treated like other aspects of training. Did Shaq decide to blow off practice or not watch film? No, because it's mandatory. At the very least they should have prepared meals 5 days a week during the season. It's an expense that is necessary.

Apparently there is some sort of nutrition plan and a nutritionist but think of it this way. Arguably your biggest impact player last year didn't figure out that veggies and proper nutrition helps performance until a few weeks ago after he leaves for the draft. This is a guy who was an all in hustle type of guy who never cut corners with training or preparation and he listened to the coaches and bought in to their program. That tells me that the nutritionalist and/or the nutrition program wasn't considered an important part of training or the football program which is a shame because it's such a basic part of athletic performance and development.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    You are correct CMBVDTvet20005, an apple a day keeps the scrote doc away
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2015
    The point is that you recruit kids who get it. That includes the nutrition aspect. If not, the coaching staff has such limited time with their kids, it's a crap shoot.

It's really no different than kids buying into the weight training regimen. Some will, some won't. Sure they'll work out, but how hard, how committed?

How can a 2 star lineman become NFL starter? The best chance they have is by buying into a strength and nutrition program and fully maximize their potential. Some kids buy in, some don't. The key is to recruit kids who have a higher likelihood of buying in.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    CMBTvet05 said:

HuskyInAZ said:

In your post, you quote Shaq, "no one listens to a nutritionist." Perhaps that should be your first clue. And based on the body types of last year's OL, I'm pretty sure they ignored the nutritionist as well.

Get the right type of player, they will heed the advice of the nutritionist and reap the benefits. But at the end of the day, they are 18-23 year olds. At that age, I'd have told a nutritionist to pound sand as well.

@HuskyInAZ I hear ya but i'm suggesting that nutrition can make such a huge difference in player development and performance that it should be treated like other aspects of training. Did Shaq decide to blow off practice or not watch film? No, because it's mandatory. At the very least they should have prepared meals 5 days a week during the season. It's an expense that is necessary.

Apparently there is some sort of nutrition plan and a nutritionist but think of it this way. Arguably your biggest impact player last year didn't figure out that veggies and proper nutrition helps performance until a few weeks ago after he leaves for the draft. This is a guy who was an all in hustle type of guy who never cut corners with training or preparation and he listened to the coaches and bought in to their program. That tells me that the nutritionalist and/or the nutrition program wasn't considered an important part of training or the football program which is a shame because it's such a basic part of athletic performance and development.
    The nutrition department is a HUGE part of this program now. Not sure where this is coming from... They feed the players as much as allowed under the new rules which is basically every meal during the season, plus recovery protein shakes post practice and workouts. They can't feed them as much in offseason.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Christ

The rowing team had a nutritional program in the 1930s. Eat vegetables and lean meat. This shit ain't hard.

The problem is undoing the impulsive tendencies of kids these days and overcoming the marketing messages of the agricultural-industrial complex.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Give me a break....You can have all the nutritional guidelines you want....yo can have them at the training table and have exact guidelines for everyone. Makes a great article for SI

But when they are smoking dope on Friday night and ordering a large pizza with wings and 10 sides of ranch it all goes out the window.

These coaches have zero clue what these guys are doing and eating and anything that suggests otherwise is a bald faced lie.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

The players aren't under supervision 24/7. And they are poor. Fast food and pizza are a staple of most American diets.

• Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I remember reading articles during the last offseason that Jaydon Mickens was bummed he couldn't get french fries at lunch anymore and had to each veggies.

Also, now that all the food that is provided by UW to athletes is free now, they should STFU and appreciate it.

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    AZDuck said:
    this the same coach that does S&C for oregon? i ask because it seems like every season you guys are just plagued with injuries. why is that?