Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I get letters from actual champions

I took a database class from a CS professor last year. He has since moved to a different college, but when I took his class he made sure to let everyone know that he did his undergrad through phd at tOSU and is a hardcore buckeyes fan. When I would talk to him outside of class about how pathetic Oregon fans are, he would laugh and tell me how much he enjoyed telling his Portland friends about Oregon's Rose Bowl game against tOSU. I sent him an email the other day congratulating him on his school winning another Natty. Here is part of his reply:

"To hire a world-class coach, you also need tradition. Urban Meyer wouldn't have come back if it wasn't for the vacancy *at* Ohio State. There's really only about a handful of programs that carry this sort of gravitas: Texas, USC, Ala, Mich, OK, Neb, ND, ... We've all been playing good football for over 100 years, and we all have a crazed alumni and fanbase that require success. The problem with Oregon is that they've really only been relevant for the last 10 years. Their fan-base doesn't really understand how much time and effort it takes to win on the big stage on a consistent basis, and are deluded into thinking they can compete with the likes of Ohio State."

For.the.lulz.

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    IRON LAWS!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I was explaining this to my bff the other day. The guys that actually built programs into a champion like Paterno, Bowden, Osbourne, and even Don James needed twenty or more years to do it.

Guys like Saban, Carroll, Meyer, Tressel, and Stoops won one right away but they were at programs that someone else completely laid the foundation for.

Oregon started being mentioned nationally in 1998. 1994 was a cute little team that had a miracle year. Injuries stopped title runs in 98 and 2007. Besides those years and the couple years recovering from Tedford the Ducks were in the mix going into November every year. If you look at those legend coaches that built programs their trajectory is about the same as what Oregon has been since 98.

It was never going to happen overnight, but it's still on the right course.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Mosster47 said:

I was explaining this to my bff the other day. The guys that actually built programs into a champion like Paterno, Bowden, Osbourne, and even Don James needed twenty or more years to do it.

Guys like Saban, Carroll, Meyer, Tressel, and Stoops won one right away but they were at programs that someone else completely laid the foundation for.

Oregon started being mentioned nationally in 1998. 1994 was a cute little team that had a miracle year. Injuries stopped title runs in 98 and 2007. Besides those years and the couple years recovering from Tedford the Ducks were in the mix going into November every year. If you look at those legend coaches that built programs their trajectory is about the same as what Oregon has been since 98.

It was never going to happen overnight, but it's still on the right course
    . Historic programs win titles

FFY
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2015
    The professor and AuburnDawg would really hit it off. Miami has a lackluster fan base and won tons of titles. There are other programs that have everything in place to be champions if they hire the right coach.

The world class coaches go where the vacancies are. Ohio State was lucky they had an opening to hire Meyer. It was all about timing. Without sanctions, Tressell would have stayed for a few more years and Urban Meyer would be coaching elsewhere.
  • Options
    Cuogar_GoldCuogar_Gold Member Posts: 360
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Last time I checked Oregon's campus isn't located in Miami, Florida. Oregon's coaches do as thorough of a job recruiting as anybody (and when they're not they just follow Petersen's tracks), yet they still can't even touch the likes of tOSU. If Oregon played Miami when they were in their prime it would be the same embarrassing hate-fuck. I disagree with my teacher about ND being a power, they're a big time brand but not a big time team anymore. But the new playoff system has eliminated any possibility of a 2010 situation for Oregon.

The ducks are done competing for championships. The amount of talent they can bring into a small shitty town like Eugene has maxed out, and their coaches can't overcome the talent gap, as was seen in January. Mariotta was their last hope.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'll defend Oregon somewhat. The 4 team playoff allowed them to get in this year but it also doomed them to failure. They might have beat anyone in the Rose Bowl that day and won the title. Having to play again gave a big advantage to tOSU and their superior size and strength along with the SEC speed Urban has recruited

I don't think we have heard the last of the little quackers
  • Options

I'll defend Oregon somewhat. The 4 team playoff allowed them to get in this year but it also doomed them to failure. They might have beat anyone in the Rose Bowl that day and won the title. Having to play again gave a big advantage to tOSU and their superior size and strength along with the SEC speed Urban has recruited

If Adams even survives the pac-12 regular season (he might, we're all a bunch of pussies), surely Oregon will run into a Meyer or Saban that won't let him survive an entire game. Hell, I could even see a Leonard Williams/Connor Halliday type of play. That poor kid will get annihilated.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam

If Adams even survives the pac-12 regular season (he might, we're all a bunch of pussies), surely Oregon will run into a Meyer or Saban that won't let him survive an entire game. Hell, I could even see a Leonard Williams/Connor Halliday type of play. That poor kid will get annihilated.

I don't think Adams is the answer either but that doesn't mean UO won't be back in a few years to try again. They still look like the best team in the Pac12

I'd love to see Adams writhing in pain on the turf at Husky Stadium grasping his shredded knee but I'm not classy like that
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

I don't think Adams is the answer either but that doesn't mean UO won't be back in a few years to try again. They still look like the best team in the Pac12

I'd love to see Adams writhing in pain on the turf at Husky Stadium grasping his shredded knee but I'm not classy like that
    If I'm betting on P12 champ right now - it's Stanford. A lot returns. All top opponents at home (save SC). Ducks D was mediocre last year and lost a lot. They lost 3 OL, right? New Injury prone QB that doesn't show on campus until late June. Road heavy schedule: @Sparty, @Stanford, @ASU, at UW.

I see the ducks going 9-3 or 10-2. That may win the league, but CFP? No. If Helfrich goes CFP this year I'll be thoroughly impressed, but I'm expecting a lot of 4th quarter tears from the players and sandy labias from AZQook in 2015.

Sorry, not sorry.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oregon's not going anywhere. They have proven they are serious about winning.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    As of right now, Oregon can beat any team in the country on any given day. However, doing that in consecutive weeks? Not so much. Oregon has put themselves in position to win a title, but a lot of things would have to go their way. It's not impossible, but improbable. Teams like Ohio St., Florida St., Alabama, LSU, basically any other upper level SEC team can when a title with multiple injuries at key positions. Oregon doesn't have that depth. Basically Oregon, will have to go the entire season unscathed to even have a chance. In 2010 Oregon almost did that. Let's also not forget, If it wasn't for a fluky run late in the game, it might have gone into OT. Yes Oregon was dominated, but they still had a chance to win that game.
  • Options

Oregon's not going anywhere. They have proven they are serious about winning.
    Texas is serious about winning too.
  • Options

If I'm betting on P12 champ right now - it's Stanford. A lot returns. All top opponents at home (save SC). Ducks D was mediocre last year and lost a lot. They lost 3 OL, right? New Injury prone QB that doesn't show on campus until late June. Road heavy schedule: @Sparty, @Stanford, @ASU, at UW.

I see the ducks going 9-3 or 10-2. That may win the league, but CFP? No. If Helfrich goes CFP this year I'll be thoroughly impressed, but I'm expecting a lot of 4th quarter tears from the players and sandy labias from AZQook in 2015.

Sorry, not sorry.
    FREE PUB!!!
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

Ah yes, Oregon's 2007 NC. The one where their fans conveniently forget they gave up 26 points per game in conference play. But Dixon's knee is why they didn't win the NC.

Did I say they would win one in 07? No, I said injuries were the reason they weren't a contender in November. That's what you have to be to win one. Just as the very first playoff showed us the best team doesn't always win the title. Under the BCS Florida State and Bama would have played for the title last year and Oregon would have played tOSU. Who gives a fuck who wins the pillow fight for the "National Championship" and tOSU beats Oregon so the talking fuck bags say the cliche "Ohio State probably deserved a shot but Oregon just wasn't there this year." Which would have all been bull shit.

How many times was this fuck up made since 1998? Probably more than we'd like to believe.

Now more than ever being a contender in November is the only thing that matters. The chances of winning a championship have now doubled which is enormous for a program like Oregon.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Ah yes, Oregon's 2007 NC. The one where their fans conveniently forget they gave up 26 points per game in conference play. But Dixon's knee is why they didn't win the NC.

Did I say they would win one in 07? No, I said injuries were the reason they weren't a contender in November. That's what you have to be to win one. Just as the very first playoff showed us the best team doesn't always win the title. Under the BCS Florida State and Bama would have played for the title last year and Oregon would have played tOSU. Who gives a fuck who wins the pillow fight for the "National Championship" and tOSU beats Oregon so the talking fuck bags say the cliche "Ohio State probably deserved a shot but Oregon just wasn't there this year." Which would have all been bull shit.

How many times was this fuck up made since 1998? Probably more than we'd like to believe.

Now more than ever being a contender in November is the only thing that matters. The chances of winning a championship have now doubled which is enormous for a program like Oregon.
    Injuries stopped title runs in 98 and 2007.

Thats what you said. Title run is quite a leap from contender status.

Oregon has had an amazing 6-8 year run. I'll have to check with my metrics guy as to how it stacks up versus the dynasties over those periods. Its almost a statistical aberration that they did so well yet didn't win a NC.

The playoff now changes the dynamic but Oregon's biggest problem is Helfrich is a fucking egghead who will steer Oregon's regression.
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Oregon has had an amazing 6-8 year run. I'll have to check with my metrics guy as to how it stacks up versus the dynasties over those periods. Its almost a statistical aberration that they did so well yet didn't win a NC.

The playoff now changes the dynamic but Oregon's biggest problem is Helfrich is a fucking egghead who will steer Oregon's regression.

Being in the Top 10 going into November is a title run. When they were only picking two no one had any real control other than to be on the dance floor when the music started. Now it's even more of a chance.

Helfrich has shown no signs of regressing Oregon at the end of year two. You know what you have in a coach after year two. Just like you will with Peterman this year. UW doesn't have to be great but they shouldn't be calling fake punts in tight games at home and sleep walking into bowl games. Maybe have a QB that looks like a QB.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Being in the Top 10 going into November is a title run. When they were only picking two no one had any real control other than to be on the dance floor when the music started. Now it's even more of a chance.

Helfrich has shown no signs of regressing Oregon at the end of year two. You know what you have in a coach after year two. Just like you will with Peterman this year. UW doesn't have to be great but they shouldn't be calling fake punts in tight games at home and sleep walking into bowl games. Maybe have a QB that looks like a QB.
    Even Todd Turner thinks you need to raise your standards.

• Options

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

We'll always have the HTBMC SRS Natty.