Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anyone watch the SNL special?

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I can't believe the show has been on for 40 years. Overrated. There has been a lot of talent on the show over the years, but it rarely makes me laugh. Even those laughs are chuckles and not big belly laughs like those heard in the media room.

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Some if it is funny shit. But I could never watch a whole episode. That's what you tube is for, you get the funny parts without having to sit through the bullshit.

Last night did have some funny stuff tho.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    If it wasn't based in New York it would have been off the air a long time ago.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It was mostly self congratulatory but that's to be expected I suppose. I love Carrey's McConaughey so Celebrity Jeopardy was a bright spot for me. I liked TImberlake and Fallon's musical intro as well. The best parts were the clips from years past, well other than drunken Keith Richards barely being able to walk across the stage. That delivered.

Overrated show, probably, but surviving forty years is no joke.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2015
    The crowd was a little too cool for school. Whenever you get a who's who of celebrities there is going to be a stick up everyone's ass. It was an impressive list of people in one room though.

Chris Farley was my favorite comedian and he made me crack up, also loved Sandler, Bill Murray, and Ferrell.

Live TV is fucking hard, so it's no surprise that the people that excel are more "performer" than writer. You can be a brilliant writer and still have your jokes fall flat live, but the guys/girls that are just funny by nature excel. They haven't had that kind of talent for awhile, but like baseball SNL is pretty much an american pastime that survives in spite of itself.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

The crowd was a little too cool for school. Whenever you get a who's who of celebrities there is going to be a stick up everyone's ass. It was an impressive list of people in one room though.

Chris Farley was my favorite comedian and he made me crack up, also loved Sandler, Bill Murray, and Ferrell.

Live TV is fucking hard, so it's no surprise that the people that excel are more "performer" than writer. You can be a brilliant writer and still have your jokes fall flat live, but the guys/girls that are just funny by nature excel. They haven't had that kind of talent for awhile, but like baseball SNL is pretty much an american pastime that survives in spite of itself.

Farley and Sandler movies were my favorites from 6-14. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Tommy Boy, and Black Sheep were incredible. I would cry in the theater from laughing so hard. Someone in my friend group would inevitably bring some best of SNL tapes to watch and swear how great they were. Sandler, Farley, Chris Rock, David Spade. They sounded great, but they were never very funny to me, even Matt Foley and Operaman. Same for Will Ferrell when he became a favorite in my high school years.

The ones from the 70's were probably funny at the time, but comedy can become dated and I never really laughed when I watched them. I actually think the recent cast with Hader, Wiig, and Sudeikis was pretty funny from what I saw. I don't watch SNL very often though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wiig is great. I was waiting for my ex to get off work in the hollywood area about a year ago and bar hopped down Melrose until I stumbled upon the Groundlings theater. I decided to save myself another hundo at the next bar and bought a ticket to an improv show and she was the surprise guest. Absolutely hysterical and class above the rest.

That's sort of my point with performers over writers in the live setting. I agree that SNL isn't as great as you want it to be, but being raised on it adds an extra chuckle that might be absent to others.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,631
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have Chevy Chase in my 2015 death pool.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Almost Live was always a lot better IMO.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,100
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

I have Chevy Chase in my 2015 death pool.

Such fag J.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Was a solid reminder that the show was much funnier up until the late 90's.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I watched SNL like a religion during the 80's and early 90's.

Don't think I have seen more than 3 skits since.

40 years is impressive. What the fuck else you going to put on at that hour to entertain stoned high schoolers and college students.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    In Living Color >>> SNL.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

In Living Color >>> SNL.

They had a segment during the reunion show of audition tapes of people that made it and those they probably should have took on and one was Jim Carrey where he did an impression of Elvis after a nuclear apocalypse.

Fucking hilarious.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,104

In Living Color >>> SNL.

Almost Live better than both those.