Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Griswold is also incredibly stupid re: basketball

After Romar and company got their buttholes plugged by the Arizona schools in front of tiny crowds, Kent went after the real problem with UWbasketball, the marketing department. Without NBA in town there is, apparently, NO EXCUSE for UW not selling out all their home games.

One poster ventured a guess that maybe, just maybe, people don't like to pay money and spend hours of their weekend watching a team with no star players and terrible fundamentals lose by double digits.

It seemed like a logical conclusion but Kent dismissed this as a lame and lazy excuse from someone who obviously didn't understand how things work.

I'll update everyone when Kim makes his "get Alex Akita and the Balla Twins involved" response....or he might just jump straight to blaming Petersen.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I thought for sure this was going to be about the DawgPack.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club

One poster ventured a guess that maybe, just maybe, people don't like to pay money and spend hours of their weekend watching a team with no star players and terrible fundamentals lose by double digits.

dig deeper
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I was just about to say that it's about time that KJV starts blaming and deflecting everything away from Romar and onto everybody else. It's clearly the fans' fault that the team is losing because of a lack of support.

Anybody that can't see that this was a flawed team to start the year that had a nice stretch due to Upshaw being able to find ways to erase their flaws/mistakes but finally started to get exposed for what they were (being highly mediocre) early in the conference season and then Romar deciding to get out in front of it all by dismissing Upshaw so that the average idiot would blame the dreckfest on Upshaw's drug problems and not on the fact that Romar's recruiting for YEARS has been terrible and that's before talking about player development, preparedness of his team, or in-game coaching ever comes to the table that Romar's been lacking in for at least 81% of his tenure, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    the marketing department organized the blackout vs Arizona. All that work, all the fans who worked to show up were blessed with a god awful performance than just showed the difference in the top of the pac12 and the base.

If anything, kem should be blaming the basketball team and the architect for laying an egg when they had a chance to get more butts in the seats by being even slightly competitive or entertaining.
  • Options

the marketing department organized the blackout vs Arizona. All that work, all the fans who worked to show up were blessed with a god awful performance than just showed the difference in the top of the pac12 and the base.

If anything, kem should be blaming the basketball team and the architect for laying an egg when they had a chance to get more butts in the seats by being even slightly competitive or entertaining.

Now you're twisting
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A shitty basketball team can't compete with a sunny weekend in February, I went to the game but really thought about just staying home and cleaning the gutters instead. When fans would rather do chores than go to the games, you have a problem. When you've lost the students it's game over. Walking over to Hec Ed there were tons of students out running, playing soccer, playing football etc.. yet only 25-30 of them bothered to show up for the game. Marketing? The team does their own marketing by losing constantly and based on attendance I'd say they're succeeding.
  • Options
    section8 said:

A shitty basketball team can't compete with a sunny weekend in February, I went to the game but really thought about just staying home and cleaning the gutters instead. When fans would rather do chores than go to the games, you have a problem. When you've lost the students it's game over. Walking over to Hec Ed there were tons of students out running, playing soccer, playing football etc.. yet only 25-30 of them bothered to show up for the game. Marketing? The team does their own marketing by losing constantly and based on attendance I'd say they're succeeding.

I played 54 holes of golf this weekend ... the only time I thought about the Dawgs yesterday was in wondering how much they lost by without even knowing the outcome yet.
  • Options
    The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The guy just fundamentally does not understand sports. He was making the same kind of arguments with Husky stadium the last few years. He seriously believes a random ad campaign, a couple YouTube videos, and cheerleaders throwing t-shirts at half time is gonna turn hundreds of people into fans.
    He simply does not get it.
  • Options

The guy just fundamentally does not understand sports. He was making the same kind of arguments with Husky stadium the last few years. He seriously believes a random ad campaign, a couple YouTube videos, and cheerleaders throwing t-shirts at half time is gonna turn hundreds of people into fans.
    He simply does not get it.

People hate bandwagon fans, but in general what fills seats is winning. There are rarities in sports such as Nebraska where they fill the stadium regardless, but anyone who really believes that marketing would fill the void of dreck performance on the field/court is, well, kemFS
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

People forget that sports is entertainment and that you go to be entertained (for the most part). If you aren't offering an entertaining product, you better be winning. If you aren't winning, you better be offering up a damn entertaining product that provides hope for the future. If you are doing neither ... you've got problems.

I was thinking more like blow jobs and cocaine, but hey, who's asking for much
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They're about to have the same problem football did in 2007-2008 where fans just drop the tickets because they're feeling like the AD doesn't care about winning. Given Romar has been successful in the being great five years ago doesn't earn you a lifetime pass to get paid for delivering a sub-mediocre product.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2015
    section8 said:

I went to the game bc a friend had free tickets and noticed the same thing. Tons of people were outside around lower campus.

The only time the crowd got excited was when they were shooting t shirts into the crowd.

At halftime they had some 4th graders playing a game on the court. I told my friend that it was as entertaining as the real game.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

I was just about to say that it's about time that KJV starts blaming and deflecting everything away from Romar and onto everybody else. It's clearly the fans' fault that the team is losing because of a lack of support.

Anybody that can't see that this was a flawed team to start the year that had a nice stretch due to Upshaw being able to find ways to erase their flaws/mistakes but finally started to get exposed for what they were (being highly mediocre) early in the conference season and then Romar deciding to get out in front of it all by dismissing Upshaw so that the average idiot would blame the dreckfest on Upshaw's drug problems and not on the fact that Romar's recruiting for YEARS has been terrible and that's before talking about player development, preparedness of his team, or in-game coaching ever comes to the table that Romar's been lacking in for at least 81% of his tenure, then I don't know what to tell you.

I agree with the rest of your poast, but that's some serious bullshit.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club

I wonder how Griswold would explain the Seattle Mariners phenomenon. Here's a team where all they do is marketing. They personally cater to the game attendee who does not care about the outcome of the game, and their attendance is abysmal.

I guarantee that if someone started a thread a week from now on dawgman questioning why people don't attend mariners games, Kent would say something like "who wants to go watch bad baseball? Until they fix the team, no one will want to waste their day going."

I heard a Mariner radio spot the other day, where some actor is pretending to be a business owner who bought four season tickets and then took a client to the game and got more business (or something like that). He was like, "Shazam! The tickets already paid for themselves."

I found it off-putting in the sense that this is not what going to a ballgame on a summer evening is supposed to represent.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,833
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I was surprised how much noise they made when the team was down double digits to AZ. Something was fishy.