Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

My Seattle Times experience a couple days ago

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
It's morning and I'm at a coffee shop. I grab a Seattle Times. On the top of the front page it says "Romar Running out of Time - Jerry Brewer"

I think to myself, "This has to be a bullshit headline. There is no way in the world that Jerry Brewer is putting the pressure on Romar. It just can't be true. He doesn't have it in him."

I open up the paper, and sure enough, there's a big headline saying we need to have patience with Romar, and then Jerry starts off writing about his "soft spot" for Romar and how he needs to be given more time. I didn't finish the article and so I don't know if Jerry blames the mouth-breathing heathens on the internet like he did when he was defending Willingham.

Back at our first Taki Tiki gathering, Koopdog told me that Jerry's articles always felt "squishy" and "soft" to him. And that sums up this town's inability to demand excellence and results, personified through the wretched reasoning of Jerry Brewer. (I'm sure Jerry is a really nice guy, but that's not what I'm addressing here).

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    I knew Larry when he was Big Sky High School as a transfer student, drooled over his Porsche 968 on draft day....there is no way in fuck, UW couldn't have hired anyone from Montgomery's coaching tree starting with Krysco. Watching UTah climb to the Pac 12, they will beat Arizona, is heartbreaking as a UW alum and fan. At this point and time, I say fuck it, clean house start over, hire new, build up. Hire Romar as the fucking athletic director
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    It's not simply missing the tourney.

It's being really bad.

There's a reason he's called Rollball.

If we are simply looking for a "good guy" Im sure we could get one cheaper.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

It's morning and I'm at a coffee shop. I grab a Seattle Times. On the top of the front page it says "Romar Running out of Time - Jerry Brewer"

I think to myself, "This has to be a bullshit headline. There is no way in the world that Jerry Brewer is putting the pressure on Romar. It just can't be true. He doesn't have it in him."

I open up the paper, and sure enough, there's a big headline saying we need to have patience with Romar, and then Jerry starts off writing about his "soft spot" for Romar and how he needs to be given more time. I didn't finish the article and so I don't know if Jerry blames the mouth-breathing heathens on the internet like he did when he was defending Willingham.

Back at our first Taki Tiki gathering, Koopdog told me that Jerry's articles always felt "squishy" and "soft" to him. And that sums up this town's inability to demand excellence and results, personified through the wretched reasoning of Jerry Brewer. (I'm sure Jerry is a really nice guy, but that's not what I'm addressing here).

#BringBackOurKoop
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    When most of your big name players would rather go to a HS game than watch you take on a Top 10 team at home - you've hit the downward slope and the landslide is starting
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Quincy was in the house last night. Probably thinking what the fuck happened.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Romar's teams haven't performed up to their recruiting class rankings in years. Why should anyone expect different next year?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

Romar's teams haven't performed up to their recruiting class rankings in years. Why should anyone expect different next year?

Exactly. Darin Johnson was a big top 100 recruit. He shows the athleticism, but clearly is lacking the guidance to build any confidence in his game. That's on Romar.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    Doogles said:

TTJ said:

Exactly. Darin Johnson was a big top 100 recruit. He shows the athleticism, but clearly is lacking the guidance to build any confidence in his game. That's on Romar.
    All hype, no game. DJ is the prototypical Romar player.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    TTJ said:

Doogles said:

TTJ said:

All hype, no game. DJ is the prototypical Romar player.
    YLTCHDJ

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    TTJ said:

To add to that, the last time Romar had a recruiting class of this magnitude, it was the Hawes, Pondexter, Oliver, Nelson group. Those players looked completely lost in the year they all played together and only one of those guys stuck around past that year.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Linking the psychology of one fucktarded newspaper columnist to an entire city is FS, but I otherwise agree with any and all Brewer slander.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223

TTJ said:

To add to that, the last time Romar had a recruiting class of this magnitude, it was the Hawes, Pondexter, Oliver, Nelson group. Those players looked completely lost in the year they all played together and only one of those guys stuck around past that year.
    I would wager that after year one, two of the 4 will be at UW. I think murray will go pro from everything i've seen or heard from people who have a clue. I think Chriss could possibly go pro as well, just depending on how the season goes. Thybulle and crisp will be at UW, but I don't think either plays much as a frosh after preseason.

I could very well be in the minority, but I am utterly convinced that dime and duruisseau will be disasters just based on romar's history of adding these guys. I have seen zero about them, but there hasn't been one good player he's pulled in of these types. Unless you count Giles dunk last night
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

TTJ said:

I would wager that after year one, two of the 4 will be at UW. I think murray will go pro from everything I've seen or heard from people who have a clue. I think Chriss could possibly go pro as well, just depending on how the season goes. Thybulle and crisp will be at UW, but I don't think either plays much as a frosh after preseason.

I could very well be in the minority, but I am utterly convinced that dime and duruisseau will be disasters just based on romar's history of adding these guys. I have seen zero about them, but there hasn't been one good player he's pulled in of these types. Unless you count Giles dunk last night
    The way that class played out was pretty disappointing. Oliver and Nelson both played well at other schools (albeit at a mid-major level). If they had stuck around they could have been a very strong core group with Pondexter. Hawes going pro wasn't a shock, but Nelson and Oliver had zero patience. Not everyone plays a lot as a frosh. And neither of them were NBA material.

Of the 4 frosh coming next year, Chriss will have the easiest path to playing time thanks to our lack of bigs. As long as he's as advertised, it's his job to lose from day 1. Shit, even if he's average, he'll still start by default. No idea if he's NBA ready. Doubt he leaves after one year.

Murray is the most talented. He'll log major minutes. He should be a starter. 1-and-done status tbd. I think he stays at least 2-3 years, unless he totally dominates as a frosh.

Crisp's playing time depends on NWG and AA. If Goss goes pro (rofl) then Crisp plays a lot. If not, he is probably the first guard off the bench to give NWG/AA a break. He has the potential to steal minutes, but not from NWG and likely not from a senior AA. He stays all 4. A starting job is his as soon as AA graduates/NWG goes pro.

Thybulle is the least likely to play right away. He has to fight Murray/Dorsey/DJ/Winters for the 3/wing spot. He'll be here 4 years too unless he transfers to get playing time. If we have to play a smaller lineup, he could get run as an undersized 4 for his athleticism/strength. His defense could earn him PT.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Not sure how Murray does not start at the 2, regardless of NWG's "potential" of leaving early. Also, I hope both Dime and Chriss are upgrades from Durant.

DJ has been so overrated. He is a complete pussy. If he can't shoot, he is worthless.

And I see Thybulle stepping in for Anderson at the 3. I hope to Allah he is better than Dorsey.

But then again, when Romar is the coach, I'm confident he can fuck it up.......again.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Linking the psychology of one fucktarded newspaper columnist to an entire city is FS, but I otherwise agree with any and all Brewer slander.

passive aggressive
  • Options
    Founders Club
    One thing that's funny is that in daily conversation people keep asking me what I think of Romar... and the reality is I'm probably in no position to judge because I've seen one Husky game in the last four years.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

passive aggressive
    How so?
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318

One thing that's funny is that in daily conversation people keep asking me what I think of Romar... and the reality is I'm probably in no position to judge because I've seen one Husky game in the last four years.

I've seen many games. Feel free to tell them he sucks next time.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I've seen many games. Feel free to tell them he sucks next time.
    When he lost Bone and Dollar, something happened to the fundamentals