Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Beno Bryant and the Concept of Paying Your Dues

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302 Swaye's Wigwam
edited August 2013 in Tug Tavern

imageBeno Bryant and the Concept of Paying Your Dues

The former Husky running back thinks back to his first fall camp with Washington, and reflects on how the changing culture of NCAA football may not always be for the best.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,350 Founders Club
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Great read as always.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    It sounds like Cal North.

All airport team.
  • Dawgedout45Dawgedout45 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the insight again Derek...please keep them coming...Can't get enough of these interviews!
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    I think the most interesting thing he says is about having a sense of urgency. That comes from the top down and from the outskirts it doesn't appear that UW has that.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,248 Founders Club

Thanks for the insight again Derek...please keep them coming...Can't get enough of these interviews!

you're welcome
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2013
    Derek, stuff like this makes this site better than any other UW football site out. I was only 4 when UW won the national title, but you better believe my dad had me watch every game from the 91 season as I got older. I still watch those tapes whenever I go home. It's how I grew up on Husky Football, and really learned about how special this place used to be.

Beno was 100% spot on when he talked about the ESPN top 100 and how back in the day you had to pay your dues. I agree with him about great talent being at UW, but the toughness is missing. Part of that is Sark and the coaches being finesse guys, but the other part of it is that football has been pussified over the past 10-15 years. It just isn't what it used to be, and these stories prove that.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,248 Founders Club

Derek, stuff like this makes this site better than any other UW football site out. I was only 4 when UW won the national title, but you better believe my dad had me watch every game from the 91 season as I got older. I still watch those tapes whenever I go home. It's how I grew up on Husky Football, and really learned about how special this place used to be.

Beno was 100% spot on when he talked about the ESPN top 100 and how back in the day you had to pay your dues. I agree with him about great talent being at UW, but the toughness is missing. Part of that is Sark and the coaches being finesse guys, but the other part of it is that football has been pussified over the past 10-15 years. It just isn't what it used to be, and these stories prove that.

Thank you
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,272 Founders Club
    Agree with RoadDawg, good job Derek, and Beno nailed it, though I do think certain coaches still knock the diva out of the player. Just my 0.02, but on the surface it appears that even today teams led by guys like Nick Saban and Bob Stoops have a lot in common with the teams Beno was part of.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,350 Founders Club

Derek, stuff like this makes this site better than any other UW football site out. I was only 4 when UW won the national title, but you better believe my two dads had me watch every game from the 91 season as I got older. I still watch those tapes whenever I go home. It's how I grew up on Husky Football, and really learned about how special this place used to be.

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,272 Founders Club

Derek, stuff like this makes this site better than any other UW football site out. I was only 4 when UW won the national title, but you better believe my two dads had me watch every game from the 91 season as I got older. I still watch those tapes whenever I go home. It's how I grew up on Husky Football, and really learned about how special this place used to be.

$75K

Sounds like some crisp fall afternoons were spent with your Dad before you went to Central.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    It seems to me Beno is saying that Husky Football has softened in the sense that the "dues" paid by pups depend on star ratings received as recruits before arriving at Montlake to become Huskies and thus........ some must from slacker art be less Huskyish. This is doubtful until we realize that based on the off-field problems of two former 5-star recruits, an endemic discipline problem in the program appears possible if not probable.
    Is Beno suggesting that "pay your dues" is a thing in all of college football now, or just at UW? If he is saying just UW, then we have a problem. If it's all of football, then so what? It makes him sounds like Gramps Bryant complaining about "kids today".

I wonder if he has seen some specific things that make him say ""If you're a (big-time) freshman, you come in and you walk around like you're an upperclassman."? Does he spend a lot of time at practice or with the players otherwise? Or is this speculation?

I don't doubt that big name freshman come in with more swagger. They are pumped full of grandiose praise, put on TV to make ther announcements, have people like SE hounding them, etc. But then again, many of these guys come in, play right away and make big contributions to their team. If they play and contribute like an upper classman, I can see why they call bullshit on being treated like something different.

• chyang888chyang888 Member Posts: 1
    @MikeDamone I think Beno is referring to that too many young football players comes into the program with a sense of entitlement and didn't have to pay their dues. It doesn't help that Media is putting them on a pedestal.

The other comment about UW is that Beno sees more finesse than toughness with the current UW players. He see the talent, but if current UW program has more of the "dirty, grimy, and gritty" mentality, there should be a "shift" with regards to the state of the program.

I agree with him.
    chyang888 said:

@MikeDamone I think Beno is referring to that too many young football players comes into the program with a sense of entitlement and didn't have to pay their dues. It doesn't help that Media is putting them on a pedestal.

The other comment about UW is that Beno sees more finesse than toughness with the current UW players. He see the talent, but if current UW program has more of the "dirty, grimy, and gritty" mentality, there should be a "shift" with regards to the state of the program.

I agree with him.

Again, is this a UW issue, or an issue in general?
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    Agree or disagree with Beno, but he's all Dawg old school.

I've had several conversations with him in the last few years. Funny as hell and he bleeds purple and gold. I always tell him he had as much to do with the national championship as anyone. The only game the 91 team was challenged in was at Cal. They had us....Beno put them away with a couple of long runs. Without him, we lose.

Beno....the little train that could.

Agree or disagree with Beno, but he's all Dawg old school.

I've had several conversations with him in the last few years. Funny as hell and he bleeds purple and gold. I always tell him he had as much to do with the national championship as anyone. The only game the 91 team was challenged in was at Cal. They had us....Beno put them away with a couple of long runs. Without him, we lose.

Beno....the little train that could.

Did You ask him about the fumble at Nebraska ?