Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

But how are unions bad?

topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
sfgate.com/business/bottomline/article/Congestion-at-West-Coast-ports-is-getting-even-6013264.php

This is fucking bullshit. These guys make about 250k a year.

It is killing my business.

Comments

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    My highly scientific googling turned up a salary around 98k, but still. The death rate for longshoremen is about 17/100000, compared to the death rate for commercial fisherman of about 200/100000. It's inevitable that dockworkers will soon be almost entirely replaced with robots, except for highly skilled managers. In that context, is 98k really that much for guys that are much more "skilled" than the old timers who used to make 45k?
    shippingwatch.com/Ports/article5762950.ece
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    thechatch spends more than that on a weekend of hookers and blow in his mansion hot tub.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    Find a new business. Sorry.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Unions are the best thing going for the middle class...and im a conservative.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    jecornel said:

Many businesses are tied to the ports.

Anything coming in from Asia is at the mercy of the ports.

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    topdawgnc said:

jecornel said:

Are you saying that a load that is unloaded 8 hours later is going to sink your business? Adapt. Not everything is about instant gratification.
    2001400ex said:

topdawgnc said:

jecornel said:

Are you saying that a load that is unloaded 8 hours later is going to sink your business? Adapt. Not everything is about instant gratification.
    Yes ... that is exactly what is happening.

I am complaining about 8 hours.

Actually reading articles is overrated:

has been delayed for more than three weeks
    What no one disputes is that the situation at the ports is approaching gridlock. According to the Port of Oakland Tuesday, 10 to 15 ships “are anchored in San Francisco Bay daily awaiting berths at Oakland marine terminals.” Truckers are becoming increasingly frustrated at the wait times of eight hours or more to get into terminals and load or unload their cargo.
  • HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    If you run a trucking business eight hours is enough to complain about as that is essentially a whole day that is wasted and the owner losing money having to pay drivers that are on standstill.

Need to automate these ports by now if they can't properly do their jobs. Sooner or later companies that send freight to west coast ports will move to other locations because their freight will be delayed because of all the strikes that go on at the ports.
    2001400ex said:

What no one disputes is that the situation at the ports is approaching gridlock. According to the Port of Oakland Tuesday, 10 to 15 ships “are anchored in San Francisco Bay daily awaiting berths at Oakland marine terminals.” Truckers are becoming increasingly frustrated at the wait times of eight hours or more to get into terminals and load or unload their cargo.

You might have trouble with critical thinking ...

it is 8 hours to get in and unload and load your truck ... it takes longer to unload 10 to 15 ships that are stacked in queue in the bay.

hth

Some of our shipments, which are coming into Kansas City are 50 days late.
  • OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    Maybe if you bought more stuff that was made in America, you could avoid having to deal with your imported shit getting hung up at the docks.

Oh, and does your anti-union schtick include the police union? Somehow I doubt that.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    OZONE said:

Maybe if you bought more stuff that was made in America, you could avoid having to deal with your imported shit getting hung up at the docks.

Oh, and does your anti-union schtick include the police union? Somehow I doubt that.

Topdawg is a high roller, everyone knows that.
    OZONE said:

There are simply items you can't buy in America, for environmental reasons those goods are gone. Maybe they will come back to Messico, but no way do your environmental lobbyist friends let certain factories get built in America again.

I don't believe in unions, period. At one time they served a purpose in this country, their time has come and gone. It shows in the dwindling numbers.

Oh, and does you buy American schtick include your personal buying habits? Somehow I doubt that.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,635 Standard Supporter

Unions are the best thing going for the middle class...and im a conservative.

In fact - you're correct if you look at things like government employees and those in the educational system.

Killer bennies, decent pay, never able to be fired jobs galore.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    PurpleJ said:

Honda is perhaps the biggest idiot ever to post here. Wow.

Perhaps?
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    The ignorance of some in this thread is funny.

I mean....really funny.
    topdawgnc said:

2001400ex said:

You might have trouble with critical thinking ...

it is 8 hours to get in and unload and load your truck ... it takes longer to unload 10 to 15 ships that are stacked in queue in the bay.

hth

Some of our shipments, which are coming into Kansas City are 50 days late.
    So your truck is sitting in the port for 50 days idle? I'm guessing no. If your trucks are moving, and your customer knows it's the ports fault the shipment is late, then what's the issue?
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Someone lacks real world experience

*swoon*