Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to DNC or anyone who knows Bball

NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Why Da Fuq doesn't Romar start the best player on the team? Why have Upshaw warm up that athletic 7 foot body then sit on the bench and get cold and stiff and sleepy watching Kemp as the ball is forced fed into him?

Comments

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2015
    But how is Romar a bad coach?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Early in the season this was a smart move. Upshaw was still getting into shape and learning his place on the floor with the team. He needed to learn to not get into foul trouble. As the season has progressed he's seen more and more minutes. Last night he played 31 minutes(second most on the team). Starting or not starting isn't a huge deal providing he's getting good enough minutes. I would have thought he'd start by pac12 play, but i'm just happy to see his minutes up around 30 with only 2 fouls.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter who starts. This team is so devoid of shooting ability that we're going to have a long pac12 season. Last night we out rebounded a team by 13 on the road, shot 76% from the line and still got boat raced in the second half.

Somehow dorsey didn't even seen the floor, but winters got 13 minutes.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The season is over.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Brandon Roy used to come off the bench. Romar likes to keep the same starting 5 if things are working. With 2 exceptions, they have been.
  • Options
    Also, Harvey Road and I shared a good laugh together after reading the subject line of this thread.
  • Options
    HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Meh, I would keep Upshaw as sixth man.

When he gets into foul trouble early, it's GG.

Kemp Jr. still gets gassed pretty quickly.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Doesn't matter who starts, matters who gets minutes. Romar has lamost always had at least one starter who played significantly less minutes than a reserve. Not sure why he prefers it that way but I don't find it to be a problem. OTOH, having no one on the roster who can shoot is a problem.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Minutes is always more important than starting or not. Finishing is more important than starting as well.

One reason why I could see bringing Upshaw in off the bench is that you get some secondary scoring where Upshaw's first minutes in the game are after an opposing big has already got 4-5 minutes of work in the game or against a backup where Upshaw will have an even bigger skill advantage against. Given our struggles to score, it's a good way to find opportunities to get Upshaw into the game quickly with some easy looks.

Dorsey's not playing because of defense. While we desperately need his shooting ability, he's a true frosh who quite frankly doesn't play enough defense at this point. Given that this team is built off of playing strong defense, rebounding, and scoring just enough points, Dorsey's just not pulling on the same rope at this point. Not getting playing time will also get his attention in that if he wants to play, he's got to focus on playing defense.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    Tequilla said:

Minutes is always more important than starting or not. Finishing is more important than starting as well.

One reason why I could see bringing Upshaw in off the bench is that you get some secondary scoring where Upshaw's first minutes in the game are after an opposing big has already got 4-5 minutes of work in the game or against a backup where Upshaw will have an even bigger skill advantage against. Given our struggles to score, it's a good way to find opportunities to get Upshaw into the game quickly with some easy looks.

Dorsey's not playing because of defense. While we desperately need his shooting ability, he's a true frosh who quite frankly doesn't play enough defense at this point. Given that this team is built off of playing strong defense, rebounding, and scoring just enough points, Dorsey's just not pulling on the same rope at this point. Not getting playing time will also get his attention in that if he wants to play, he's got to focus on playing defense.

Two things....my inner 13 yr old brain loved the part "finishing is more important than starting....."

Second, we had 4 TO's last night, 4. Dorsey getting in the game in the second half to try and spark anything offensively would be a wise move. I know winters sure as hell doesn't deserve that much clock for his defensive or shooting so far. I don't disagree dorsey is a liability, but so are a few others on the floor. Only difference is that dorsey is at least a threat from deep.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm not saying that Dorsey shouldn't be on the court ... but there's a reason Romar isn't putting him on the court.

Personally, I think he should get some 1st half run in games and if he isn't playing defense, he hits the bench. But with the offensive limitations, you need to find some spots to get him some options.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Upshaw's playing time has been increasing. 31 minutes against Cal, which might have been a few too many minutes. Upshaw playing balls out for 25 minutes is better than playing him fatigued. He wasn't playing his typical defense in the 2nd half of the Cal game, but I understand wanting him to stay in because he is probably the best player on the team.

I think Dorsey needs to get some minutes, but make sure Upshaw is in at the same time. The best shooter can't be glued to the bench. Put Dorsey on a 4 that can't shoot or the worst perimeter player. There are ways to hide shitty defenders. That's what coaching and scheming is for. Maybe Romar thought Cal was a bad match up.
  • Options
    It's a lot easier for a 6'4 guard to come off the bench after sitting than a 7' center. I hate to point out the obvious, this ain't working, and Updhaw needs to start
  • Options

The season is over.

Bump.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    Calling MoosewhosailsRomarscockdownhisthroatincarolina someone who knows basketball is still the funniest part of this thread.
  • Options
    Upshaw starts, UW winning again? Da Fuq?