Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tequilla's Thoughts - Final Four / January 1st Edition

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
1) Lots of talk about Oregon this and Oregon that today. The big takeaways to me about their secret to their success is that they constantly put people in positions to make mistakes (whether it is the defense or even the officials) and that when they have a chance to go for the kill against teams, they are as dangerous as a 20-year old Iron Mike Tyson. They can play a lot of rope-a-dope but at some point they get you chasing ... and once you start chasing them and play their game, you have no chance.

2) There's a little saying down South that goes a little something like "Baylor being Baylor." They'll always fuck up because they are Baylor. They want to be Oregon. They want to be the cool kids. They aren't cool. They should have killed Sparty. But they let them hang around and gave everybody a great example of Cougin' It.

3) Props to Ohio State. I hate those fuckers ... but will give props where it is due. I didn't think Jones would play at a high level against an opponent that was far better than Wisconsin. He did. I was dead wrong about where Ohio State was as a team.

4) The performance of the SEC West is beyond stunning in this playoff go around. I do think that these teams are better than what they've shown, but on the other hand, scoreboard baby. To me this is a big reason why you need to make sure that the playoff system is expanded such that the conference champions are ALL included in the playoff system. Barring more cross conference scheduling of Top 10/20 caliber teams in the "preseason," there's too much of a risk of public perception dominating the opinions. It's by far the biggest flaw in the current system ... which is far greater than the past system.

5) The reason this system is far better is that Oregon's the best team in the country but there's no way they would have been included in the prior model as it would have been Alabama vs. Florida State. While Ohio State has some explosiveness and is clearly playing great football, I don't see them having the dominating front 7 play that they've had in the past. When they last played in the Rose Bowl, Ohio State won the game by dominating the LOS against Oregon. While I think they will be able to run on Oregon offensively, I don't see them being able to consistently slow Oregon down. Congrats to the quoooks on this board ... exciting times for you indeed.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    TCU pulled a Baylor before Baylor did.

I do agree about expanding the system, but I have no idea how Oregon is going to stop Ohio State's offense.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Someone warm the bathtub up and strop the straight edge, I just upvoted tekillya.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla was upset at the wrong team. TCU proved it belonged. I think Baylor and Michigan State did too, although Miss State or Ole Miss would have gotten the nod before Michigan State. Georgia Tech is probably better than Baylor and Michigan State, but they have 3 losses. 8 teams would have been cool and hopefully what has happened will help the expansion happen soon.
  • Options

Tequilla was upset at the wrong team. TCU proved it belonged. I think Baylor and Michigan State did too, although Miss State or Ole Miss would have gotten the nod before Michigan State. Georgia Tech is probably better than Baylor and Michigan State, but they have 3 losses. 8 teams would have been cool and hopefully what has happened will help the expansion happen soon.

How did Baylor prove it belonged? Choking a 20 point lead to the #B1G runnerup is worse than what any SEC team did in bowl season (except Ole Miss)
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Urbs scares me
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

Urbs scares me

You guys really did want Bama after all. You would have won that one rather easily, say 52-35?
  • Options
    I liked the idea that Kiffin would get cute and over-scheme or try to keep up with us in a shootout. Urbs is as good or better than Chip Kelly
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

How did Baylor prove it belonged? Choking a 20 point lead to the #B1G runnerup is worse than what any SEC team did in bowl season (except Ole Miss)
    In an 8 team playoff, Baylor belonged considering their regular season, going 11-1 with a win over TCU. Obviously they shit the bed today.
  • Options

In an 8 team playoff, Baylor belonged considering their regular season, going 11-1 with a win over TCU. Obviously they shit the bed today.
    Never mind, of course they belonged in an eight team playoff. They won the XII.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Baylor is like having an 11-1 Wazzu team in an 8-team field. They'd have done enough to be deserving. But at some point you also know that they'll find a way to fuck it up.
    All 8 teams can't be the favorites.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Baylor is like having an 11-1 Wazzu team in an 8-team field. They'd have done enough to be deserving. But at some point you also know that they'll find a way to fuck it up.
    POTD.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    On one hand, Oregon's talent and system looks more cohesive.

On the other, Urban has already won a NC (but so had Saban, Fisher).

Can Helfrich do what Chip could not?

I'm really 50/50 on it. If Ohio State can get off to a big lead, they should win comfortably. I feel like they can do it more easily than one might think.

If they keep it close, Oregon will tire them out and blow it away in the 3rd quarter like we've seen often.

But, Urban is a spread mastermind. That should help in preparation (See: Rich Rod, but with more talent).

TL;DR: Too fucking complicated, no one knows what will happen. Should be a good game though.
  • Options
    Urbz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dick Rod
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    AZDuck said:

Urbz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dick Rod

Agreed on that. It's why I think if Dick Rod is able to be Kryptonite to Oregon more often than other teams, Urban will likely be well prepared. Plus better talent.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

Urbs scares me

He should.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    With the way Mariota is playing there isn't a college defense out there that will stop him. You're literally watching the most versatile human being to ever play the position at this level. This isn't even Quooking. That fucker makes throws that require accuracy within inches all night long and when he runs he's four steps faster than everyone else.

Did you see that fucking TD he ran in? He made an FSU corner and safety look like junior high kids in the open field. One guy about blew out his knee just trying to change direction fast enough to even consider making the play. Then he just fell over backwards as Mariota was already 15 yards past him.

The biggest thing that was lost today that started to really show but was hidden by injury is Thomas Tyner is starting to become that ball carrier we all knew he could be once he got the shitty Oregon high school football out of his system. He made FSU's defense look slow and weak every single time he touched the ball.

Athlete to athlete I'll take what's coming out of the south east over the midwest. Oregon will score as much as is needed. tOSU will try to do that and fail.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I said two weeks ago Oregon was playing the best football in the land. Tonight proved it. I still think this is Oregon's year. Mariota is the reason.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

I said two weeks ago Oregon was playing the best football in the land. Tonight proved it. I still think this is Oregon's year. Mariota is the reason.

I want to believe. I really really do.

As promised, I am now on the Mark Helfrich bandwagon. But this is uncharted territory in so many ways, and we have to beat an Ohio State team that has been nothing short of awesome with its third string QB and Urbs with the headset (until he throws it into the stands)
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    tOSU will win that game.

And Mariota is not a great passer.