Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

To Fellow TBS'ers: Re-Ranking Recruiting Classes Survey Request

Comments

• Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam

@Section8 will you want in on the survey? You responded but have not indicated.

Sure, sign me up.

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You're a doog if you give Callier a 3. He was a backup his whole career. A fucking backup for his entire career. That's not a 3. A 3 is a 'solid starter who may get some honorable mention All-Conference recognition'.

When the fuck did Callier even sniff All-Conference? When did he start and then not get replaced by someone else almost immediately?

If you are a 5th year senior and you can't clearly beat out DWash and Lavon Coleman you are not a 3.

Vince Weathersby was a 3. Caller is a 2. It's easy. He's the definition of a 2.
  • Options

Should I post after the fact how everyone voted, or should it be kept secret? I think I should post the survey results after. That way @Dennis_DeYoung can yell at all of you idiots.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL IDIOTS EXCEPT ME!!! I THOUGHT THAT WAS OBVIOUS!!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I think it's fair to have a master list by players.

In looking back at Callier's stats, I think it's probably more fair to judge him as a 2 than a 3. He wasn't worthless as a player (that a 2 would suggest that he was), but he also was nothing more than a role player (which wouldn't make him a 3). If you mark him as a 3, then what you are saying is that he performed his role well (barring the injuries). If you mark him as a 2, you are saying that he was never a starter. I tend to be a little more kind to players that performed the role that they were asked to perform and not hold it against them if they weren't a front line player - not everybody will be that player.

Bottom line is that he's a bit of an in-between from a judgment standpoint ... just like he was as a player.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    Tequilla said:

In looking back at Callier's stats, I think it's probably more fair to judge him as a 2 than a 3. He wasn't worthless as a player (that a 2 would suggest that he was), but he also was nothing more than a role player (which wouldn't make him a 3). If you mark him as a 3, then what you are saying is that he performed his role well (barring the injuries). If you mark him as a 2, you are saying that he was never a starter. I tend to be a little more kind to players that performed the role that they were asked to perform and not hold it against them if they weren't a front line player - not everybody will be that player.

Bottom line is that he's a bit of an in-between from a judgment standpoint ... just like he was as a player.

A 3 IMO is a legitimate starter. Everette Thompson (low 3) or John Timu would be 3's. Callier was never a starter and has hardly even played since his sophomore year.
  • Options
    I respect @Tequilla‌ for reconsidering.

It's tempting to sneak players up because you kind of like them or you remember them, but Hatchie is the definition of a 3 in my mind... and he started 3 years!
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I respect @Tequilla‌ for reconsidering.

It's tempting to sneak players up because you kind of like them or you remember them, but Hatchie is the definition of a 3 in my mind... and he started 3 years!

It's all very fascinating to see how different people rate different players, I'm already contemplating how to rate certain players that are being discussed. Should be pretty fun to see the results. And also, the goal for this will be to see if we can determine how well coaches develop talent. I think this will be a fun experiment to do every year before signing day.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,626
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yes post results by all means. I want to argue with Dennis.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Yes post results by all means. I want to argue with Dennis.

Well, good luck with that. I tend to win arguments.

Ask Tommy Shaw! Oh wait, he joined my band, kicked me out and took the name of it professionally. Dammit.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2014
    My big question is this - are we ranking players based on their display of talent, or their on field contribution? Given the Callier debate as our key example, I think in his opportunities he displayed easy three star talent, bordering on four star (he averaged over 5 yards per carry for his career). OTOH, for a combination of factors (here for arguably the greatest back to back run of RB's in UW history, injuries) he didn't get on the field much, so his actual contribution was certainly just that of a 2 star.

I know in the OP it says "All we will be doing is re-ranking players based on their play at UW during their career, however long or short it may be." but that still leaves it open ending. Are we ranking their talent, or re ranking their contributions, or is that in the eye of the beholder?

IMO, the first question is far more compelling than the second. But I'm probably up for it either way. I certainly don't think HH should be doing anything just because it's the way Doog Baird used to do it.
  • Options
    dnc said:

My big question is this - are we ranking players based on their display of talent, or their on field contribution? Given the Callier debate as our key example, I think in his opportunities he displayed easy three star talent, bordering on four star (he averaged over 5 yards per carry for his career). OTOH, for a combination of factors (here for arguably the greatest back to back run of RB's in UW history, injuries) he didn't get on the field much, so his actual contribution was certainly just that of a 2 star.

I know in the OP it says "All we will be doing is re-ranking players based on their play at UW during their career, however long or short it may be." but that still leaves it open ending. Are we ranking their talent, or re ranking their contributions, or is that in the eye of the beholder?

IMO, the first question is far more compelling than the second. But I'm probably up for it either way. I certainly don't think HH should be doing anything just because it's the way Doog Baird used to do it.

Well, no matter what you can say about Dick Baird—he was a pretty decent recruiting coordinator. Also, I'm pretty sure that came from DJ in terms of honesty in evaluation. I remember him saying they looked for objective markers.

Also, I can't imagine how you would 'rate talent'. I mean, does Kasen get a 5 because he had some amazing plays? That's a really weird idea.

I'm surprised I'm surprised about the love for Doog-favorite Callier here, but I guess with the dm.c exodus there are a lot of Doogs here these days. Callier and the FLY SWEEP in our amazing moral victories under Sark were so awesome!!! Except for he was never any good.

Can I give Troy Williams 4-stars because what I think his talent was?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Also, what's this grade inflation shit already? 1 is worthless. 2 is career backup or crappy starter. 3 is solid starter with maybe some all conference mention. 4 is all-conference. 5 is all-american.

I'm on a personal mission to destroy Jesse Callier, apparently.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    I don't think I want to do it based on talent alone, it will be a formula up to you might be the best way to say it, like Chuck said above. I want to find a way to see who develops players the best, and I think the best way to look at that is by looking a lot at their contribution to the team, and yes in some way it will be also by evaluating their perceived talent in the eye of the beholder.

I think the problem with doing it on talent alone is what do you do with the guy that sits on the bench. He might be a super talented player but we don't really get to see him play because he is stoopid or something. When it all comes down to it I think the ratings would be similar anyways whether you base it on talent or production the numbers would probably come up the same.

I don't know, it's a good poont DNC, but I don't think I'll rate on talent, but it will play a part in some way.
  • Options
    If you think Callier is good, you're a Doog. Jay Barry was about 40x better than Callier. Name one big play Callier made against a decent opponent.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I look at a 3 rating as being that of what I would consider an average conference player.

If you're a 2nd stringer on an upper conference team but would have been a starter on a bottom end of the conference team, you're probably a 3 in my book.