Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

JJ

I think he gets a little too much shit for the hype that faggy jeans brought onto him which isnt his fault.

He was in foul trouble last night but when he was on the floor he was clearly disrupting passing lanes and playing really good defense. He is also pretty good on the offensive glass, the team suffers immensly in that category when he isn't on the floor. He was also a big reason they beat Oklahoma on Saturday.

I'm not trying to say he is anything more than a fairly average P12 player, but he does add an element to the team and is far from useless.

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I ripped him after Grambling (I know, ILTDT) but he has shown some steady improvement the past two games. Sometimes I need to remind myself that if a pro like D.Rose takes a year to get the rust off after ACL, maybe a college kid might need to have a month or so to have confidence to move again.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    He may never develop into anything but a big body that plays defense and has a very narrow offensive repertoire. But tbh, teams need a few guys like that. Romar's best teams have always relied on guards for the majority of the scoring anyways. I don't expect anything from him at this point. But if he comes out next year with the ACL injury totally behind him and is dramatically improved, I wouldn't be that surprised.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I feel he just gets an extra amount of shit flipped towards him because of something Kim GrinoldsFS said.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

I feel he just gets an extra amount of shit flipped towards him because of something Kim GrinoldsFS said.

Do i dare ask what skinny jeansFS said?
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BayDawg said:

Kevin Durant comparison.
  • Options
    HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    JJ is JJ.

FYFMFE.
  • Options

BayDawg said:

Kevin Durant comparison.
    Lol.

In chat? After 3 bottles of 2-buck chuck?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    JJ is not going to be back to normal for him until next season. Everyone who has the ACL surgery says the same thing. You "can" play after 9 months, but you don't fully get everything back until almost 2 years. Much of that is likely confidence.

Either way, if JJ can do what he does, IE hit that 15 footer, it will open up the whole middle for upshaw and the guards. It keeps people from sucking down to help when someone can nail that jumper from the key. It's no wonder that when JJ starting hitting his jumper how much better upshaw has been in the post.

JJ needs to rebound, play defense and hit the 15 ft shot at the top of the key and it will continue to do wonders for this team.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If only someone on this board had previously said JJ was a decent role player.
  • Options

Nobody took issue with that.

It was you saying he was way better than Gant that was incorrect.
  • Options

He might be. Time will tell.
    So we should let it play out?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He might be. Time will tell.
    So we should let it play out?
    TSIO

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

At this point in their respective careers, he is better than Gant. And that doesn't even account for the fact that Gant was never coming off of an ACL tear.
  • Options

At this point in their respective careers, he is better than Gant. And that doesn't even account for the fact that Gant was never coming off of an ACL tear.
    JJ is slightly better than what Gant was in his third year but that's really not saying much.

He makes a few nice passes but for someone who was a guard in high school, the guy's got butter fingers.

Watching other bench players play, I get why JJ gets the minutes he's getting this year.

This team is a disaster without NWG.
  • Options
    They are probably similar players. Both were ok shooters, soft as a babys bottom around the hoop, pretty versatile on defense.

Maybe I just dont remember very well because Ive pickled my brain but Gant just seemed like he was an explosive jumper. JJ seems like he has ankle weights on alot of the time.

Both can be important parts of a good team, as long as they arent asked to do things they arent capable of, ie Gant taking the 3 pointer at the buzzer against Cal a few years back. Still cant believe that was the play we drew up that night...
  • Options
    BayDawg said:

They are probably similar players. Both were ok shooters, soft as a babys bottom around the hoop, pretty versatile on defense.

Maybe I just dont remember very well because Ive pickled my brain but Gant just seemed like he was an explosive jumper. JJ seems like he has ankle weights on alot of the time.

Both can be important parts of a good team, as long as they arent asked to do things they arent capable of, ie Gant taking the 3 pointer at the buzzer against Cal a few years back. Still cant believe that was the play we drew up that night...

THIS

Gant was money with the base line jumper.

And an amazing defender.

JJ doesnt have a signature/go to move yet. And he's not as good on defense.

Gant was an explosive jumper. He ran the floor well and finished a lot of easy dunks as a result.

I'm too lazy to look at their block numbers, but Gant definitely made more difficult blocks (against fast breaks) whereas JJ's height advantage allows him to just stick his arms straight up and alter shots.

To me Gant's biggest strength is that he knew his role on a championship caliber team. JJ doesn't yet.

RoadDawg could be right if JJ improves a lot next year. But at this point, Gant had a better career.
  • Options

BayDawg said:

THIS

Gant was money with the base line jumper.

And an amazing defender.

JJ doesnt have a signature/go to move yet. And he's not as good on defense.

Gant was an explosive jumper. He ran the floor well and finished a lot of easy dunks as a result.

I'm too lazy to look at their block numbers, but Gant definitely made more difficult blocks (against fast breaks) whereas JJ's height advantage allows him to just stick his arms straight up and alter shots.

To me Gant's biggest strength is that he knew his role on a championship caliber team. JJ doesn't yet.

RoadDawg could be right if JJ improves a lot next year. But at this point, Gant had a better career.
    Only in his final year.

Gant wanted to be a scorer that he wasn't but he definitely played better than what stat sheet shows.

As for JJ, he does have better blocking numbers than Gant although not as flashy.

Both are similar type of players in terms of physical attributes yet different playing style on the court.

To me, if JJ can constantly play the way he did the last two games with Gant's energy, I'll be a very happy man.

Gant has won two PAC championships and three NCAA tourney appearances in Husky career, that alone separates him from JJ and his accomplishments if there's any.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I agree with most of this, but defining Gant by the success of his team is a stretch. He was always a role player, the 4th option at best on offense.

JJ will never play in the NBA, nor did Gant. But they both have/had their roles. I'm encouraged by JJ's performance vs. Tulsa. He did have a nice feel for the game and played defense. The previous game, though, he was horrible.

The biggest issue on the team this year is the play at SG. Andrews is lazy on defense and makes too may mistakes on offense. Assist to turnover ratio at 1:1, and the vast majority of those turnovers are not forced. It appears that his confidence is writing checks his play can't cash. Contrast that with DJ, who plays with little to no confidence.