Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coach Pete Yr 1 Summary

IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited December 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Miller is a goof ball, but he actually sums it up pretty well:

Ted Miller: It's not unfair to say Chris Petersen's first season was underwhelming, even disappointing. He inherited talent that hinted at 10 wins in the regular season and he won eight. He didn't beat a ranked team and the Huskies struggled against overmatched foes. While he's not one to navel-gaze in front of the media, my guess is Petersen will be as self-critical about himself and his staff as any message board.

So why be optimistic? Well, Petersen went 92-12 at Boise State and won two Fiesta Bowls, a record that far surpasses Dan Hawkins or, really, any coach outside of a Power 5 conference. There's a reason folks so celebrated his hiring. The guy is smart. He's detail-oriented. He has a system. Some of the things that cost the Huskies this year -- such as giving mouthy, me-first cornerback Marcus Peters the boot -- probably will pay off in the long term as Petersen establishes his culture.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10

He goes a bit off course about the OKG theory, but other than that I think he is spot on.

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

In hindsight ...

We expected the defensive front 7 to be good - it was.

We were scared shitless about the secondary - it turned out to be better than we expected.

We were worried about our receiving options and Kasen's health - it was warranted.

We expected that we'd find a relatively seemless transition from Sankey to the next RB in line - it took longer than we anticipated.

We expected that the OL would be the strength of the offense - it was wildy inconsistent for much of the year.

We expected Cyler to be able to step in and perform at an average or better level in this conference (comparable to the 5-4 records that Keith Price would put up) - turned out that him missing Spring Practice hurt him far more than anticipated as the play for most of the year was uneven at best and terrible at worst.

Is that disappointing. On one hand, yes. On the other hand, the improvement in many key aspects of this team from the start of the season until the end was refreshing and if it continues into the future, then it's very probable that Petersen is the right guy for the job.

What? Who said that?

We returned the same OL gave up 36 sacks last year, and they were changing their scheme from zone-block to man-block.

Who actually thought the OL would be a strength this year after sucking the past 13 years?
  • Options
    sjdsjd Member Posts: 270
    5 Up Votes Testing 1 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

In hindsight ...

We were scared shitless about the secondary - it turned out to be better than we expected.

We were worried about our receiving options and Kasen's health - it was warranted.

We expected that we'd find a relatively seemless transition from Sankey to the next RB in line - it took longer than we anticipated.

We expected that the OL would be the strength of the offense - it was wildy inconsistent for much of the year.

We expected Cyler to be able to step in and perform at an average or better level in this conference (comparable to the 5-4 records that Keith Price would put up) - turned out that him missing Spring Practice hurt him far more than anticipated as the play for most of the year was uneven at best and terrible at worst.

Is that disappointing. On one hand, yes. On the other hand, the improvement in many key aspects of this team from the start of the season until the end was refreshing and if it continues into the future, then it's very probable that Petersen is the right guy for the job.

What? Who said that?

We returned the same OL gave up 36 sacks last year, and they were changing their scheme from zone-block to man-block.

Who actually thought the OL would be a strength this year after sucking the past 13 years?
    That was the narrative from media types during the Fall training camp...ESPN bloggers included (Hi Ted).
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I doubt Sark would have won more than 8 games either. He could have very easily lost to Eastern and Hawaii. He wouldn't have recruited the solid punt return guy because he would have been in Boise. Our back four would have been a mess because Baker would have been playing at ucla or the ducks. Jones at Utah. And Sark would have never allowed John Ross to play db where he was needed at the end of the season.

The idiots that don't get the OKG thing are just that, every coach has their own okg thing...sarks are a list from rivals or scout where Peterman actually evaluates kids based on skill/need and finding the right fit for his vision.

I hated sark. I'm glad he's gone. But they already were playing John Ross at Nickel back last year. Its not that innovative of a thought.

Sark likely would have gone 5-4 cuz that's what sarks do.

Petersen was disappointing this year. But I am still glad he's our coach. The hire was about getting to the top of the conference and if we take a step back for a couple of years so be it. Still frustrating though.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The encouraging thing for me is that for the first time in over a decade, there was only 1 game where we were truly plungered - and that was against a team who will probably win the national championship. In the UCLA game, we spotted them 14 points right away and then played them even the rest of the way.

While I'm not happy with 8 wins, I'm going to give Peterman the benefit of the doubt in his first year. He has already proven the fucktards wrong about "not being able to recruit with the big boys" and, though he would never say it himself (even though he kind of did), there's a very good chance that the team he took over was a dumpster fire from a culture and coaching standpoint. Quite simply, you're not going to win the conference with a secondary full of true freshmen, one of the worst qbs in the league, and a pedestrian 3-man platoon at running back.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Quite simply, you're not going to win the conference with a secondary full of true freshmen, one of the worst qbs in the league, and a pedestrian 3-man platoon at running back.

If only UW had even a pedestrian group to platoon at receiver. Miley might have moved up from one of the worst qbs in the league to being one of the best of the worst qbs in the league.

The offense was a dumpster fire for a lot of reasons. You could throw all of the typical offensive concerns into a hat, pick one, and it would have applied to UW this season.
  • Options
    claychaclaycha Member Posts: 662
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Def would have been the year the AD office got picketed to fire that fat fuck Sark (redundant) 2013 was the year I discovered the FireCoachSark web. Thank Sweet Baby Jesus he moved on.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

In hindsight ...

What? Who said that?

Some thought they were ready to rumble.
    Ossai. Enough said about that.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The biggest disappointment was learning how gaping the talent deficiency was in certain key positions due to poor recruiting and development of earlier classes.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Ted Miller is a fucking egghead.

Says the guy who loves SRS.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    4-5 > 5-4 > 5-4 > 5-4 > 5-4
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The encouraging thing for me is that for the first time in over a decade, there was only 1 game where we were truly plungered - and that was against a team who will probably win the national championship. In the UCLA game, we spotted them 14 points right away and then played them even the rest of the way.

While I'm not happy with 8 wins, I'm going to give Peterman the benefit of the doubt in his first year. He has already proven the fucktards wrong about "not being able to recruit with the big boys" and, though he would never say it himself (even though he kind of did), there's a very good chance that the team he took over was a dumpster fire from a culture and coaching standpoint. Quite simply, you're not going to win the conference with a secondary full of true freshmen, one of the worst qbs in the league, and a pedestrian 3-man platoon at running back.

UW played Alabama?
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2014

4-5 > 5-4 > 5-4 > 5-4 > 5-4

I guess the proves...