Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Johnny Manziel sticking it to the NCAA

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
Interesting article

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324653004578650312328142282.html#articleTabs%3Dcomments

Interesting points made on the boreds...

Okay, I want to start a business. I want it to be non-profit so I don't have to pay any taxes. I want to create a labor force in over 120 different cities with about 200 workers in each- all at least of legal age (18 or older) and I want to pay them zero in salary. I want my free labor force to generate over 2 billion dollars a year so as President I can collect over 3 million in salary and perks. And, I do not want any competition. I don't want anyone allowed to do what I am doing. Oh, and I want to impose my own laws. If the actions of my slave labor force does not break any Local, State or Federal Laws, but threatens my ability to profit off of them, then I want the policies that I make up to over ride the exisiting laws of the land so I alone have the power to destroy the future of anyone working for me for free.

Okay, anyone have any ideas? Oh wait... It already exists. It's called... The NCAA.

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    One of the greatest episodes of South Park ever.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    jecornel said:

Interesting article

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324653004578650312328142282.html#articleTabs%3Dcomments

Okay, I want to start a business. I want it to be non-profit so I don't have to pay any taxes. I want to create a labor force in over 120 different cities with about 200 workers in each- all at least of legal age (18 or older) and I want to pay them zero in salary. I want my free labor force to generate over 2 billion dollars a year so as President I can collect over 3 million in salary and perks. And, I do not want any competition. I don't want anyone allowed to do what I am doing. Oh, and I want to impose my own laws. If the actions of my slave labor force does not break any Local, State or Federal Laws, but threatens my ability to profit off of them, then I want the policies that I make up to over ride the exisiting laws of the land so I alone have the power to destroy the future of anyone working for me for free.

Okay, anyone have any ideas? Oh wait... It already exists. It's called... The NCAA.

Not true. These guys end up with opportunities to graduate debt free, room and board free, tutors free....not to mention the networking opportunities offered to them because of what they do. If it's such a shit deal, why are guys clamoring to get in? What's next...getting rid of internships? I think they should get more money but not because they generate millions but because they aren't allowed to work. That's the real tragedy.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    TommySQC said:

jecornel said:

Interesting article

Not true. These guys end up with opportunities to graduate debt free, room and board free, tutors free....not to mention the networking opportunities offered to them because of what they do. If it's such a shit deal, why are guys clamoring to get in? What's next...getting rid of internships? I think they should get more money but not because they generate millions but because they aren't allowed to work. That's the real tragedy.
    For an elite player, it's a shit deal. These guys have no other options than to play college football. It's how they prepare for the NFL. They should be able to sign autographs and shit for money.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    They chew the players and the spit them out. Don't be fooled by the propaganda of all the tutors and debt free shit.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

TommySQC said:

jecornel said:

Interesting article

For an elite player, it's a shit deal. These guys have no other options than to play college football. It's how they prepare for the NFL. They should be able to sign autographs and shit for money.
    For the elite players its the best deal anyone in the world in college can get. College football, basketball and baseball produce what? 100 instant millionaires every year? And make more guys hundreds of thousands of dollars with the opportunity to make more. What a shitty system. Which other organization provides college students that kind of opportunity?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2013

TommySQC said:

jecornel said:

Interesting article

For the elite players its the best deal anyone in the world in college can get. College football, basketball and baseball produce what? 100 instant millionaires every year? And make more guys hundreds of thousands of dollars with the opportunity to make more. What a shitty system. Which other organization provides college students that kind of opportunity?
    College basketball players have the option to leave after one year. They can also make hundreds of thousands to millions playing overseas for a year or two if they desire. Most elite baseball players go pro right away. They have a good deal. Elite football players do not.

Football is a game where even the most elite guys aren't ready for the NFL right out of high school. Rosters spots are precious in the NFL. You can't have guys on there who can't play if/when called upon. In the NBA, the end of the bench past the tenth man hardly matters and there is the D League to stash guys who aren't ready. Not all that many elite baseball players go to college. They get big signing bonuses and go straight to the minor leagues. The guys who do play college baseball normally do because they weren't drafted high enough to justify not going to college.

How is it a good deal for football players? They have to stay three years no matter how good they are. It's a game where you can have your career ended in one play. These guys should be able to capitalize if they are generating millions. It is also the sport that generates the most money for the NCAA, and it's not even close. Like I said before, there is no other option for these guys but to play college football, unlike basketball and baseball players. It's not a good comparison.

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    How is it a good deal? Are you fucking serious? So a free ride to a school, a school that many of them would not have gotten into if it wasn't for football and getting to walk out of college a millionaire, degree or not, is a bad deal? Baseball and basketball players may have better deals but they make up .0000001% of college students. .0000001% of people in the exact same position as them have a better deal, what a cause to champion. You're such a hero. Anyone else in the top .000001% out there in need of help? Damone?

You can continue to repeat that they don't have other options but other football leagues do exist. You may not think they are good options but your beloved European basketball also isn't a good option, as the only guy I can think of that has done it will tell you http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sports/basketball/24recruit.html?_r=0 that's why no one else is selecting your great option. Of course there is always another option, don't play. If its such a hardship, such a bad deal then just don't accept it. Why, year after year, does everyone accept the deal that colleges offer if its so bad?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

How is it a good deal? Are you fucking serious? So a free ride to a school, a school that many of them would not have gotten into if it wasn't for football and getting to walk out of college a millionaire, degree or not, is a bad deal? Baseball and basketball players may have better deals but they make up .0000001% of college students. .0000001% of people in the exact same position as them have a better deal, what a cause to champion. You're such a hero. Anyone else in the top .000001% out there in need of help? Damone?

You can continue to repeat that they don't have other options but other football leagues do exist. You may not think they are good options but your beloved European basketball also isn't a good option, as the only guy I can think of that has done it will tell you http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sports/basketball/24recruit.html?_r=0 that's why no one else is selecting your great option. Of course there is always another option, don't play. If its such a hardship, such a bad deal then just don't accept it. Why, year after year, does everyone accept the deal that colleges offer if its so bad?

Plus a lot of the players grew up without fathers and this opportunity is their ticket out of the cycle.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,350 Founders Club
    Al Sharpton approves of this thread.