Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The U part 2

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,988

Randy Shannon had no balls. Told players and coaches to stay away from Shapiro, yet still let him throw parties and financially support players. And run thru the smoke.

Randy Shannon a bitch. If he actually didn't want to give access to Shapiro he could have cut the guy off.

I'm guessing it's not that simple. You can't be there with them all the time.

I fault Shannon for a lot of things but not this. He had a good sniffer and good street sense. But he can't be evrywhere.
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,033
    How the fuck is Shalala still the president?
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Just finished watching it, amazing. 30 for 30 is a godsend of a show. Would love to see them do UW football from James hiring onward through the upper campus betrayal and Willingham driving the stake into the heart of the program.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

That loss to Miami still haunts the UCLA program. I couldn't watch it tonight.

A hurricane make up game after UCLA rang up 20 consecutive wins against a shit team. Win and they are playing Tennessee in the BCS title game and McNown probably wins the Heisman. Instead they blow a late lead, and got screwed on a fumble call (pre-replay). Lost the game. No title shot. Shit the bed in the Rosebowl vs Ron Dayne a month later.

The UCLA program went into a tailspin after that game aided by two fucktarded hires and Pete Carrolls reign. They just now are emergin from that nightmare.

That game did knock UCLA for a loop, but being objective, the underlying problem was that UCLA played shit defense.
  • steelheader2steelheader2 Member Posts: 368
    Loved Miami since mid 80's. In today's playoff system the final 4 matchups in 2000 would have been #1 Oklahoma vs UW and then #2 FSU vs Miami re match. That would have been unreal.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    The "fluke" at UW was funny. They bitched because they were behind #2 FSU in the polls (who they beat) yet were ahead of #4Washington who they lost to.
  • steelheader2steelheader2 Member Posts: 368
    Miami also beat #2 Virginia Tech though. True on being ahead of UW who they lost to.

That loss to Miami still haunts the UCLA program. I couldn't watch it tonight.

A hurricane make up game after UCLA rang up 20 consecutive wins against a shit team. Win and they are playing Tennessee in the BCS title game and McNown probably wins the Heisman. Instead they blow a late lead, and got screwed on a fumble call (pre-replay). Lost the game. No title shot. Shit the bed in the Rosebowl vs Ron Dayne a month later.

The UCLA program went into a tailspin after that game aided by two fucktarded hires and Pete Carrolls reign. They just now are emergin from that nightmare.

That game did knock UCLA for a loop, but being objective, the underlying problem was that UCLA played shit defense.
    exactly. giving up 300 yds. to one running back, even though it was Edgerinn James, says you can play defense.
  • RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    1 loss OSU was pretty darn good, and arguably as impressive as Miami's win vs VT.

The season ended with 4 1 loss teams. We were 1 of them, we defeated 2 others, and the 4th lost to a team we defeated.
    edited December 2014

The "fluke" at UW was funny. They bitched because they were behind #2 FSU in the polls (who they beat) yet were ahead of #4Washington who they lost to.

yes, mensa, we are aware of the hypocrisy. it's been discussed. it's also what you do. can you recall a team, ever, saying, "yeah, we have the same record, yeah, we beat the team that's playing for the title and yeah yeah yeah, but really this other team should be there over us."???? I can't. ever. everyone makes their case. coaches too.

i mean, what the fuck are they supposed to say? they're sitting their and they know all too fucking well that they shit a national title away in Seattle earlier in the season because they know all too fucking well that nobody can beat them at the point.

of course Washington had a better claim ... all that said, if there'd been a playoff, Miami would have run away with it. I know like I know I'm breathing that they would have deplungered Oklahoma.

toward the end of the season they were rolling.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    I remember when Butch turned North Carolina into a power house too!!!

Here's the truth about Butch Davis: He had two good recruiting classes that someone else won with. End resume.

It's funny to watch all this dooging for mediocre. That's the best defense talent wise you've had since 1991 and you finished 8th. Remember how long it took Chip kelly to turn Oregon around? They went from a shit show blowout loss to BYU to being the best team in the country in one off-season when he was the fucking OC! Great coaches do great things with talent, period.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,549 Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Here's the truth about Butch Davis: He had two good recruiting classes that someone else won with. End resume.

It's funny to watch all this dooging for mediocre. That's the best defense talent wise you've had since 1991 and you finished 8th. Remember how long it took Chip kelly to turn Oregon around? They went from a shit show blowout loss to BYU to being the best team in the country in one off-season when he was the fucking OC! Great coaches do great things with talent, period.

Peternorth still has time to accomplish that before he's seen as a failure. Wow, Chip turned Oregon around fast, faster than Saban even.

Whoop dee fucking doo.

1 loss OSU was pretty darn good, and arguably as impressive as Miami's win vs VT.

The season ended with 4 1 loss teams. We were 1 of them, we defeated 2 others, and the 4th lost to a team we defeated.

agreed. i always forget about them.

the REAL title game was probably Miami and Oregon State (which is weird to think about, but they were good and at the end of the season as dangerous as anyone).

agreed, good point.
    Mosster47 said:

Butch can flat out fucking recruit. Doing at Miami, even at that level, is one thing. But making UNC one of the most talented teams in the country is an entirely different matter, and really drives home the point.

Game day coach? There have been plenty better. But when it comes to recruiting I've not seen anyone do what he did at those two stops.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320

agreed. i always forget about them.

the REAL title game was probably Miami and Oregon State (which is weird to think about, but they were good and at the end of the season as dangerous as anyone).

agreed, good point.
    Good point, considering that Washington beat OSU by three at home which is what people were claiming was an irrelevant margin this year with TCU and Baylor
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Mosster47 said:

Butch can flat out fucking recruit. Doing at Miami, even at that level, is one thing. But making UNC one of the most talented teams in the country is an entirely different matter, and really drives home the point.

Game day coach? There have been plenty better. But when it comes to recruiting I've not seen anyone do what he did at those two stops.

Who gives a shit? Lane Kiffy can recruit like a mother fucker too, but he's a terrible coach. So, should a program hire Butch for two years then can him for a football coach? Using Butch Davis as a reason why you are mediocre is to say you're expecting to underachieve, but Peterman won't recruit anywhere near the level Butch would.

I think you all need to LIPO. As of right now you finished 8th with a historically talented defense, which isn't impressive in any way. That's all you or anyone else knows. No reason to be excited or to be too down.

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Who gives a shit? Lane Kiffy can recruit like a mother fucker too, but he's a terrible coach. So, should a program hire Butch for two years then can him for a football coach? Using Butch Davis as a reason why you are mediocre is to say you're expecting to underachieve, but Peterman won't recruit anywhere near the level Butch would.

I think you all need to LIPO. As of right now you finished 8th with a historically talented defense, which isn't impressive in any way. That's all you or anyone else knows. No reason to be excited or to be too down.

Yes. I would tell any program that was down and looking for a coach to hire Butch Davis. He's not a great game day coach, but he's not Ron Zook either. Just a matter of degree.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,664 Standard Supporter

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Yes. I would tell any program that was down and looking for a coach to hire Butch Davis. He's not a great game day coach, but he's not Ron Zook either. Just a matter of degree.

Bull Moose listening?