Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Upshaw leads the nation in blocks

13»

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Just for reference sake if we're really going to be throwing this shit at the wall. upshaw is 2-3 years older than hawes was when he played here. So If we're going to discuss hawes vs upshaw than we need to project hawes 2 years into what you're trying to compare upshaw to. Otherwise, we need to compare upshaw's mind blowing 5 ppg and 4 rebounds per game while at FRESNO when he was a freshman.

Nobody is saying hawes was a god, but he was very good for a frosh and for walking around half dead during the season(and he still did better than upshaw).

The jury is out on whether upshaw will develop into a player, and by god we all hope he does. But let's start comparing apples to apples if we're going to get into this pissing match.

You have never done what you are preaching with Wroten during those debates. Nobody said Hawes wasn't good. Hawes was pretty polished as a freshman though. There is no doubt he would have made moderate improvements during his time at UW, but the limitations Hawes had back then are the same limitations he has today. He's not very strong or quick and he's an average rebounder.

I get your point, but what they did at UW is all there is to judge them on. We can't use Hawes' 2nd season in the NBA against Upshaw at UW. Upshaw's freshman season is irrelevant at this point. Either he's gotten remarkably better since then or he wasn't trying at all at Fresno. I think it's probably abundance.
    I like to say the thing that makes me wrong is "irrelevant" I like to do that.

Keep cherry picking stats to make your poont.

It's entertaining.
    I guess i just don't get what comparing a stoned Upshaw at fresno as a frosh to a pretty much finished product Hawes as a frosh at UW has to do with NBA prospects. Upshaw in today's game is a far more intriguing and valuable piece than Hawes. Not a knock on Hawes, just a reality.

Also comparing Upshaw at his current age to Hawes at that age is FS because one was sitting out in college and the other was training full time getting payed to play hoop.

If Upshaw improves marginally over the course of the season (better conditioning alone would qualify here), he will be a lottery lock.
    Almost all bball players are stoned. You should stay away from that as if it's an outlier. He just got caught

What would you call upshaws redshirt year? He was being paid to go to school and practice all he wanted on his game, his body, etc. Passing classes with a 2.0 is not rocket science.

You are right, he has the chance to be in the lottery on size alone. Time will tell if he puts it together enough to warrant that pick.
    You're saying that having a redshirt year offers the same development opportunities as being a paid NBA player?

When he stumbles into his easy classes, Hawes is getting trained in world class facilities, having his body analyzed by sports scientists with PHDs, and not worrying about practice time restrictions.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

3s and layups. That's all that matters in basketball.

Somebody is paying attention. I don't think some understood the point you were making. Obviously there are many other important factors is basketball, but this is a debate in NBA analytics circles when it comes to what teams are looking for and how they run their offenses.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Doogles said:

Just for reference sake if we're really going to be throwing this shit at the wall. upshaw is 2-3 years older than hawes was when he played here. So If we're going to discuss hawes vs upshaw than we need to project hawes 2 years into what you're trying to compare upshaw to. Otherwise, we need to compare upshaw's mind blowing 5 ppg and 4 rebounds per game while at FRESNO when he was a freshman.

Nobody is saying hawes was a god, but he was very good for a frosh and for walking around half dead during the season(and he still did better than upshaw).

The jury is out on whether upshaw will develop into a player, and by god we all hope he does. But let's start comparing apples to apples if we're going to get into this pissing match.

You have never done what you are preaching with Wroten during those debates. Nobody said Hawes wasn't good. Hawes was pretty polished as a freshman though. There is no doubt he would have made moderate improvements during his time at UW, but the limitations Hawes had back then are the same limitations he has today. He's not very strong or quick and he's an average rebounder.

I get your point, but what they did at UW is all there is to judge them on. We can't use Hawes' 2nd season in the NBA against Upshaw at UW. Upshaw's freshman season is irrelevant at this point. Either he's gotten remarkably better since then or he wasn't trying at all at Fresno. I think it's probably abundance.

It's entertaining.
    I guess i just don't get what comparing a stoned Upshaw at fresno as a frosh to a pretty much finished product Hawes as a frosh at UW has to do with NBA prospects. Upshaw in today's game is a far more intriguing and valuable piece than Hawes. Not a knock on Hawes, just a reality.

Also comparing Upshaw at his current age to Hawes at that age is FS because one was sitting out in college and the other was training full time getting payed to play hoop.

If Upshaw improves marginally over the course of the season (better conditioning alone would qualify here), he will be a lottery lock.
    Almost all bball players are stoned. You should stay away from that as if it's an outlier. He just got caught

What would you call upshaws redshirt year? He was being paid to go to school and practice all he wanted on his game, his body, etc. Passing classes with a 2.0 is not rocket science.

You are right, he has the chance to be in the lottery on size alone. Time will tell if he puts it together enough to warrant that pick.
    I used to party on the Ave with Bobby Jones, Jamaal Williams and a few others. Cool story, I know.

Joel Smith is the only one who I could honestly say suffered on the court due to the partying.

Smoking weed is a non-factor. It sure as hell isn't what stopped Upshaw from developing an offensive game up to this point.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

I used to party on the Ave with Bobby Jones, Jamaal Williams and a few others. Cool story, I know.

Joel Smith is the only one who I could honestly say suffered on the court due to the partying.

Smoking weed is a non-factor. It sure as hell isn't what stopped Upshaw from developing an offensive game up to this point.
    I could one up your partying story, but I won't :). I agree though. It's not a weed issue, but a motivation issue. It's also possible that Upshaw has developed since he played for Fresno State.
  • Options

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

I could one up your partying story, but I won't :). I agree though. It's not a weed issue, but a motivation issue. It's also possible that Upshaw has developed since he played for Fresno State.
    Awww c'mon. Story time!
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

Gotta burn off some steam after writing all those history papers.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

You're saying that having a redshirt year offers the same development opportunities as being a paid NBA player?

When he stumbles into his easy classes, Hawes is getting trained in world class facilities, having his body analyzed by sports scientists with PHDs, and not worrying about practice time restrictions.
    UW has pretty solid facilities, which includes a hoop and a ball. They also have one of the best medical schools in the country which offers quite a bit to student athletes.

There are not practice time restrictions on players themselves. There are practice time restrictions for players and coaches. Players can use the gym 24/7(in theory) and get better. It would be up to them to put in the effort, but they can do it. Players can also get a trainer when coaches can't help them any longer. You're telling me he couldn't set up a deal with a trainer for future earnings? Come on, this is a ridiculous argument. He had a whole year off to improve. He's looking good, but lets not act like UW doesn't afford a lot of opportunities.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

UW has pretty solid facilities, which includes a hoop and a ball. They also have one of the best medical schools in the country which offers quite a bit to student athletes.

There are not practice time restrictions on players themselves. There are practice time restrictions for players and coaches. Players can use the gym 24/7(in theory) and get better. It would be up to them to put in the effort, but they can do it. Players can also get a trainer when coaches can't help them any longer. You're telling me he couldn't set up a deal with a trainer for future earnings? Come on, this is a ridiculous argument. He had a whole year off to improve. He's looking good, but lets not act like UW doesn't afford a lot of opportunities.
    What's ridiculous is you expecting comparable development between being in college versus being in the pros. Who provides better competition, little Jimmy Cornell at the rec cen or Demarcus Cousins? No matter how much you try to marginalize the time commitment required for the classroom as a D1 athlete, it is still a significant portion of the gig to stay eligible.

Of course he can improve in college, and I think he has considering his fresno numbers to now, but just stop trying to defend the idea there's not a significant advantage in development opportunity in the NBA.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm a big Upshaw fan but let's not get carried away here yet. Small sample size.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2014

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

Will Conroy called me a n---- once.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

What is "what happens when you cross a Kim Grinolds wet dream and a Ruth Robbins fantasy?" Alex.
  • Options

Doogles said:

It's entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MLKn4kNPM