Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW vs SDSU Game Thread!

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This team with upshaw kemp in the post could be dangerous. get JJ the fuck out of there and leave AA/anderson/NWG
  • Options
    HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

This team with upshaw kemp in the post could be dangerous. get JJ the fuck out of there and leave AA/anderson/NWG

Didn't want to rip JJ tonight with an impressive win but yeah, he's still garbage.
  • Options
    I dont' think it's wrong to question a players game. JJ has shown nothing this year to be in the starting lineup. I get romar is slowly getting upshaw up to speed, and has to watch his foul count. However, JJ will not be starting in the pac12. There is no reason to keep kemp and upshaw apart.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Time to accept JJ for what he is. Being disappointed in him means you bought a little of the hype dogs placed on him.

He is what he is. Sometimes, he can hit an open jumper and he's not totally lost on defense. The skills and guard talk is bullshit, but I did see him make a nice pass on a high low to Upshaw. What he brings is better than some of the back up bigs the past few years.
  • Options
    BrothaStringBrothaString Member Posts: 218
    5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes

I dont' think it's wrong to question a players game. JJ has shown nothing this year to be in the starting lineup. I get romar is slowly getting upshaw up to speed, and has to watch his foul count. However, JJ will not be starting in the pac12. There is no reason to keep kemp and upshaw apart.

I disagree. Kinda touched on this in the ACTUALLY doesn't suck thread in a different context. We have NO frontcourt depth. It's Upshaw, Kemp, JJ, annnnnd that's about it. I'm not counting Giles Dierckxkcxkcxkxskxc. I love when Kemp and Upshaw are on the floor at the same time, and I think it's easily our best lineup with NWG, AA, and Anderson, but it's not feasible for more than a few minutes at a time. Neither Upshaw or Kemp are able to play a ton of minutes, and I think it's better to have one of them on the floor at all times than both on the floor some of the time leaving Jarreau to play the 5 while they rest. That's a recipe for disaster.
  • Options

Time to accept JJ for what he is. Being disappointed in him means you bought a little of the hype dogs placed on him.

He is what he is. Sometimes, he can hit an open jumper and he's not totally lost on defense. The skills and guard talk is bullshit, but I did see him make a nice pass on a high low to Upshaw. What he brings is better than some of the back up bigs the past few years.

He's still a year out from surgery which means that he still has some time to really get his shit together. I'd have him be a 6th/7th man and put kemp in there. He's still a good player for the rotation, just not the leavel at which many doogs put him at.
  • Options

I disagree. Kinda touched on this in the ACTUALLY doesn't suck thread in a different context. We have NO frontcourt depth. It's Upshaw, Kemp, JJ, annnnnd that's about it. I'm not counting Giles Dierckxkcxkcxkxskxc. I love when Kemp and Upshaw are on the floor at the same time, and I think it's easily our best lineup with NWG, AA, and Anderson, but it's not feasible for more than a few minutes at a time. Neither Upshaw or Kemp are able to play a ton of minutes, and I think it's better to have one of them on the floor at all times than both on the floor some of the time leaving Jarreau to play the 5 while they rest. That's a recipe for disaster.
    I can see your poont. The only problem with this theory is there is no advantage to playing your worst lineup first as a way to conserve or rotate. Kemp/upshaw/JJ all saw similar minutes last night. 23/24/27. JJ had the most minutes, but also was the least productive out of the 3. Once we get further into the season and into league play, we can't afford to give teams 10 minutes of non upshaw on the floor to start the game. The guy changes the entire game just by standing under the hoop on defense. If we start getting down 10 in order to conserve him than this team is destined for failure in the pac12. I understand what romar's doing now, but once pac12 starts the guy needs to be starting to get this team going early. IF, he gets into foul trouble then you have to play JJ, but you can't assume he'll be any better at getting less fouls if he comes in off the bench.

JJ may play a bit better defense than kemp, which is why he may play at times, but I still see him as a great 6th man right now.

totally agree we're limited and one injury away from being a disaster. Tristian leaving really bent this team over. Even 10 minutes a game from someone with a pulse could be incredibly valuable for this team in the post.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I can see your poont. The only problem with this theory is there is no advantage to playing your worst lineup first as a way to conserve or rotate. Kemp/upshaw/JJ all saw similar minutes last night. 23/24/27. JJ had the most minutes, but also was the least productive out of the 3. Once we get further into the season and into league play, we can't afford to give teams 10 minutes of non upshaw on the floor to start the game. The guy changes the entire game just by standing under the hoop on defense. If we start getting down 10 in order to conserve him than this team is destined for failure in the pac12. I understand what romar's doing now, but once pac12 starts the guy needs to be starting to get this team going early. IF, he gets into foul trouble then you have to play JJ, but you can't assume he'll be any better at getting less fouls if he comes in off the bench.

JJ may play a bit better defense than kemp, which is why he may play at times, but I still see him as a great 6th man right now.

totally agree we're limited and one injury away from being a disaster. Tristian leaving really bent this team over. Even 10 minutes a game from someone with a pulse could be incredibly valuable for this team in the post.
    You can say the same about a lot of teams though. When Colorado lost Dinwiddie last year they nosedived, not many teams have the depth to withstand an injury from one of their key big (I know Dinwiddie is a PG).
    Gotta just hope for the best
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hopefully Romar eventually tries to get the most he can out of Kemp and Upshaw and worry about foul trouble when it happens. It means JJ's minutes will fluctuate, but all 3 guys will probably be needed for at least 20 minutes per game. UW can probably get away with Dorsey at the 4 in stretches too if they play a 2-3 zone with Upshaw in the middle.