Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mike Riley - new HC at Nebraska

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Yep, and Dennis Erickson also added 3 more after taking over Riley's program. I know everyone mocks the "didn't have to deal with a ranked Oregon State" bullshit from tLPT, but Oregon state was really really bad before the RileyEricksonRiley days.

Still not a great hire. Riley was pretty bad this season and he'll be 62 next year. It is the Big10 though. Any fucktard can make a bowel in that conference.
    If it was Riley's program after two years then it was definitely Erickson's program after four years.

So you can subtract back out the three winning seasons Riley had in the first four years after taking over for Erickson.

#Beavermath
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    I guess we have heard our last "Isn't interesting that we are both employed?" circlejerk interview between him and Softy.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Is this supposed to be some amazing stat? He's coached at OSU for 14 years. If he was the average OSU coach you would expect 5/14 based on that tenure length. Should Nebraska be happy with someone who was above-average at OSU?

Somebody tell me how many 1-15 seasons the Chargers have had since joining the NFL.
    Uh, no, that OSU's had 14 winning seasons since 1968.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712

Is this supposed to be some amazing stat? He's coached at OSU for 14 years. If he was the average OSU coach you would expect 5/14 based on that tenure length. Should Nebraska be happy with someone who was above-average at OSU?

Somebody tell me how many 1-15 seasons the Chargers have had since joining the NFL.
    47 seasons not 37 my bad. So on average you'd expect 4 winning years out of 14.

My point which was not made very well is why should standing out against crappy OSU coaches of the past qualify you to be hired by Nebraska? Did OSU even try at football in the 1970s?

• Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

47 seasons not 37 my bad. So on average you'd expect 4 winning years out of 14.

My point which was not made very well is why should standing out against crappy OSU coaches of the past qualify you to be hired by Nebraska? Did OSU even try at football in the 1970s?

It doesn't qualify you, I agree.

Just pointing out prior to Riley they went about 25 to 30 years without a winning season. 0 for 30 does not come out to 1 every 4 years. Historically beavs are the worst team in pac10/12. Riley and Erickson were significantly above average for them in terms of wins.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    Standard Supporter
    The shine has obviously come off Riley.

I did see one blurb that over the last 7 years, Riley's teams were +17 in turnover margin while Pelini's were -33. Riley was also 6-2 in bowls while Pelini was 4-3 (not sure if that's a big enough sample size though).

From my parents' basement, I will be watching how this unfolds intently. Riley's best years were 2003-2012 and that happened to coincide with Washington fucking things up and WSU going back to being WSU. Stanford getting better.

Well since 2010, WSU has still sucked but Washington has been decent (and taking the next step since December of 2013), Oregon went from very good to great, and Stanford is still good (may or may not be starting to slip though) so life had gotten significantly more difficult for Riley / OSU.

But the good thing for Nebraska (and Riley) is that Riley doesn't have to continue trying to take a bottom Pac-12 program to the top and only has to take Nebraska from good to great. Can he do that in 5 to 7 years? Honestly the challenge isn't as steep as it was at OSU and he'll have more talent / resources to compete against teams that mostly have lesser talent / resources.

So now that Riley finally will have the Jimmy's and Joe's, will his X's and O's prove to be up to the task? Tough to say so LIPO.

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    black eye for the p12, imo.

dean of the p12 coaches bolts for the B0G?

im pretty fucking sad about this.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    One thing to also keep in mind here ...

Riley is very respected in Texas (particularly in the Hill Country / San Antonio area) and that's a huge historical recruiting ground for Nebraska.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Chip hill spotted in Corvallis , just what I'm hearing.
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Pac 12 North just got better
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I want to know what Kim says about this. How long do we have to wait for his wise words?
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I thought this was a whoosh when I first saw it
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

The more I think about this, the more dumbfounded I am. This is fucking Nebraska man. Maybe I am living in the football past but places like Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC and Ohio State should never have to scrape the bottom of the shit barrel for a coach.

As I said, PatHadenFS has some serious comp. Fucking idiots. Both of them. Praise be to Allah.

This. I know it's not 1990 anymore, there are scholarship limits, more parity, blah blah blah, but N should be able to get a really good coach with that Big Ten money. They were the team of the 90s for Christ sake. They were really close to winning four national titles. It's better for college football if Nebraska is on top than teams like Baylor, TCU, and Oregon. No offense...
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

The more I think about this, the more dumbfounded I am. This is fucking Nebraska man. Maybe I am living in the football past but places like Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC and Ohio State should never have to scrape the bottom of the shit barrel for a coach.

As I said, PatHadenFS has some serious comp. Fucking idiots. Both of them. Praise be to Allah.

This. I know it's not 1990 anymore, there are scholarship limits, more parity, blah blah blah, but N should be able to get a really good coach with that Big Ten money. They were the team of the 90s for Christ sake. They were really close to winning four national titles. It's better for college football if Nebraska is on top than teams like Baylor, TCU, and Oregon. No offense...
    Lol. It's far better that the dinosaurs die off. Nebraska basically became a zombie when it went from the Big 8 to the Big XII North and its Texas recruiting took a hit. Then that became a kill shot when it moved to the Big Ten.

TV can work miracles, but it can't get a bunch of Texas kids in Lincoln to play live at "home" in a road conference game in front of mamma.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,348
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pretty sure I just heard a big "Hip hip hooray!" from Beaver fans.
  • Options
    Citrus4TroogsCitrus4Troogs Member Posts: 248
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    ....where the N stands for knowledge
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Nebraska fans are in the bargaining stage of grief right now. Riley beat Pete Carroll and USC once way back in the day. He does things the right way. Oregon State is the worst situation in college football (just forget about Dennis Erickson winning the Fiesta Bowl there). He will bring over good assistants. This is a good hire!
  • Options
    Citrus4TroogsCitrus4Troogs Member Posts: 248
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Nebraska fans are in the bargaining stage of grief right now. Riley beat Pete Carroll and USC once way back in the day. He does things the right way. Oregon State is the worst situation in college football (just forget about Dennis Erickson winning the Fiesta Bowl there). He will bring over good assistants. This is a good hire!

Well, Riley did pioneer the In-N-Out team motivation tactic a few years ago that Sark has since mastered; not sure what the Lincoln equivalent of the chain would be.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Well, Riley did pioneer the In-N-Out team motivation tactic a few years ago that Sark has since mastered; not sure what the Lincoln equivalent of the chain would be.