Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A Thought on Florida Hiring McElwain

Comments

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

topdawgnc said:

Makes me thankful UW can get Peterman and is a reminder that getting a big time coach can be tough. Florida is considered a better job than UW. McElwain was 22-16 at Colorado State, laughable compared to what Petersen did at Boise. McElwain doesn't even have close to the resume Urban Meyer had before going to Florida.

Don't read too much into this.

Remember this is the AD who hired Zook.

Yes, he did hire Meyer ... but he also hired Zook and Muschamp.
    He also hired Billy Donovan. So he's hired two of the top 3 or 4 coaches in both big revenue sports.
    So he is batting .500 at on one of the most attractive schools to coach and recruit to.

He could have had Spurrier back, but chose Meyer. I would likely have taken Spurrier over Meyer. If not for the simple fact Spurrier wasn't leaving and would have gotten the same results.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Mosster47 said:

Doogles said:

Now would be a great time for Les to jump ship. Another 8-4 season at LSU and he's done.

Why not hit the reset button and get another 4 premium paid years at the minimum.

That's a good point. Harbaugh will be placing a call as well with rumors of the 9'ers wanting to trade him for a washing machine.

Two coaches who have both shown to be successful in college with ties to Michigan should be beating down the door for the job. hen you have 100k+ seats someone with some clout with always have interest.

Florida might be fucked though.
    If Harbaugh's days with the Niners are done, he'll simply transfer to another NFL team for twice as much as Michigan could offer him. Oakland is the obvious landing spot, but almost any other team needing a coach will come knocking. No chance in hell he goes back to college for less pay and a much more rigorous schedule (offseason recruiting and all that bullshit).
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    topdawgnc said:

Makes me thankful UW can get Peterman and is a reminder that getting a big time coach can be tough. Florida is considered a better job than UW. McElwain was 22-16 at Colorado State, laughable compared to what Petersen did at Boise. McElwain doesn't even have close to the resume Urban Meyer had before going to Florida.

Both Zook and Muschamp were good hires at the time. When they started sucking, Foley wasted no time in kicking their asses to the curb. He's a great AD and it wasn't too long ago that they won the football and basketball national championships in the same year. I don't think there's a single AD in the country with a resume as good as his.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Zook could recruit.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

topdawgnc said:

Both Zook and Muschamp were good hires at the time. When they started sucking, Foley wasted no time in kicking their asses to the curb. He's a great AD and it wasn't too long ago that they won the football and basketball national championships in the same year. I don't think there's a single AD in the country with a resume as good as his.
    I think you're underestimating what Todd Turner could bring to the table.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam

McElwain is a good hire but you'd think Florida could have done better. I think its a slight reach for Florida. McElwain definitely deserves a top 25 job but don't know if he's deserving of that job.

Colorado St only had 3 wins the past 3 years before he went there. He goes 4-8-10. Their SRS was around 99-110 those three years. The past three years it went 112-70-36. These are the things that have to be weighed, nor record. Harbaugh was 17-20 after three years at Stanford. In 2012 after Arizona raped us I posted a message about potential future coaches and I included McElwain in there. He coordinated under Saban for 4 seasons and has proven himself as a head coach.

It just shows that sometimes there isn't always a perfect fit. Maybe RichRod, Graham, Freeze, etc all said no. Don James and Pete Carroll were 4th and 5th choices. McElwain has proven he's a good head coach. If he can make the transition and it doesn't go awry (like RichRod at Michigan) then I think he will do well.

This. CSU was 3-9 for the 3 years before he showed up, and then went 4-8, 8-6, 10-2. There are much worse records to hire coaches on.

You can argue they could have gone after an established coach, but if they are looking for an rising coach there aren't that many available and I'd say he looks to have as good a record as any.

McElwain is real deal. I prayed for him to come here b4 Peetis. Runs punishing downhill run game, play action passing game and awnry defense. Will kick ass in what is a cupcake SEC east conference (and west for that matter).

Will win east every year. If Pinkel can win east, McElwain just needs to show up with a whistle and he'll be in SEC title game every year.
    this is pretty much what you said about Lindquist back in August.
    In puppy's defense, did you see that deep ball to Ross?!?!?!1
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

He also hired Billy Donovan. So he's hired two of the top 3 or 4 coaches in both big revenue sports.
    So he is batting .500 at on one of the most attractive schools to coach and recruit to.

He could have had Spurrier back, but chose Meyer. I would likely have taken Spurrier over Meyer. If not for the simple fact Spurrier wasn't leaving and would have gotten the same results.
    They're winning nattys in football AND bball on his watch. I think he'll be just fine.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

Doogles said:

Now would be a great time for Les to jump ship. Another 8-4 season at LSU and he's done.

Why not hit the reset button and get another 4 premium paid years at the minimum.

That's a good point. Harbaugh will be placing a call as well with rumors of the 9'ers wanting to trade him for a washing machine.

Two coaches who have both shown to be successful in college with ties to Michigan should be beating down the door for the job. hen you have 100k+ seats someone with some clout with always have interest.

Florida might be fucked though.
    If Harbaugh's days with the Niners are done, he'll simply transfer to another NFL team for twice as much as Michigan could offer him. Oakland is the obvious landing spot, but almost any other team needing a coach will come knocking. No chance in hell he goes back to college for less pay and a much more rigorous schedule (offseason recruiting and all that bullshit).

The University of Michigan could buy the Raiders with their petty cash fund.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I've been tooting McElwain's horn for a while, and thought if WSU were smart, they would have hired him/fired Leach after their bowel last year.

He is the next generation of the James--Saban line. He had success as a coordinator at Alabama, then showed he could come in and flip the culture and run his own program at CSU.

I was worried his connections to the NW were going to lead him to Pullman or Corvallis. I will be glad if he ends up in the SEC East.

Write the check.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

topdawgnc said:

Muschamp was never a good hire. Had a great agent though.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

topdawgnc said:

Gotta admit I really liked Muschamp back in the day. He was #5 on my coaching prospects list in 2008. Here was the six guys I wanted.

Mora
    Kelly
    Graham
    Wittingham
    Muschamp
    Patterson

I'll admit I never expected Muschamp to do so poorly.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Muschamp is the reality of why you don't give people meaningless titles. Mack Brown wanted him to stay at Texas but the AD wouldn't agree to paying a coordinator what Mack asked for, so they gave him the fake position on "Head Coach in Waiting" then all these other schools started that shit too and Muschamp became a super hot commodity because if Texas wanted him at some point then he must be great now!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Why would CSU accept less?

Dude's a fucking genius for getting that big of a buyout in there in the first place.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2014
    dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Gotta admit I really liked Muschamp back in the day. He was #5 on my coaching prospects list in 2008. Here was the six guys I wanted.

Mora
    Kelly
    Graham
    Wittingham
    Muschamp
    Patterson

I'll admit I never expected Muschamp to do so poorly.

justifiable at a lower level school or mid tier power conference school. For Florida though, that was a horrible hire to take on a coordinator.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    #MyHawks will be in big trouble if they can't kick field goals.