Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What Does the Wrong Coach Look Like?

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302 Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageWhat Does the Wrong Coach Look Like?

Mad Son takes a closer look at penalties to see how they reflect on how good a coach can be

Read the full story here

Comments

• CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I know many coaches don't find penalties have any correlation to winning, Petersen has said so too. Really interesting to see the data on it. I think they consider them a hindrance at times, and there are some penalties that are just stupid.

I wonder if the increased pace of play factors into the mindset of coaches not finding them to be related to winning and losing?
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Excellent read. You shit better articles than what the goons at DM write.
  • CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    I believe that all good coaches realize that if offensive holding or defensive pass interference could be called every play, it's sometimes gonna get called and they take those in stride.

Bad coaching regarding penalties shows itself as repeated false starts, illegal formations, delays of game, offsides or encroachment, and making PFs that are willful, e.g. Taunting, spearing, retaliating, etc., with no discernible improvement over time.

I bag on Peenerman all the time, penalties aren't one of the things about him I call out.

• BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    R-squared isn't an indicator of correlation. In this case It tells you how well variance in penalties (and only penalties) does to explain variance in win%. The low R2 value tells you: not very well.

There are other variables you would have to control for before making that conclusion (SOS, talent, Experience, conference, etc).
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    When I clicked on the link, I was expecting a giant pic of Willingham.

When you ran the analysis, did you also run a Spearman correlation? I saw you posted the rho squared value for Pearson (linear) correlation, but I'm wondering if you also did a Spearman to see if there is a non-linear relationship.

Edit: Idk what the data looks like, but if the data can be categorized, I'd be curious if you could stratify the data by type of penalty or when penalties occur (which down, whether it's offense, defense, etc.). I'm wonder if there's some correlation between a subset of penalties rather than penalties in general.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,171

R-squared isn't an indicator of correlation. In this case It tells you how well variance in penalties (and only penalties) does to explain variance in win%. The low R2 value tells you: not very well.

There are other variables you would have to control for before making that conclusion (SOS, talent, Experience, conference, etc).

Yes, I recognize what you are saying is technically true. I am assuming I can draw that conclusions as a practicality.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

When you first started poasting here I though you were OBK, clearly you aren't

• AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,105 Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuck, it's not often I tune in for my morning Hardcore Husky fix and leave feeling like the dumbest guy in the room. Scary. And some of you guys actually say you've been laid. This conversation makes me wonder.

Some Big Bang Theory shit on up in this bitch.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    topdawgnc said:

I don't need a chart, my eyes are as good as yours. Here's what a bad coach looks like:

Sark is a mediocre coach.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    "Block in the back, return team."

This is bad coaching, time for Peterman to get his ST guy dialed in.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    edited November 2014

Penalties are the area I am most disappointed in. Not so much holding/PI, but false starts, 12 men on the field, personal fouls. These things are coaching and in the details Petersen preaches.

It looks like Washington has improved significantly on penalties. On a per play basis (to adjust for tempo) UW is now the (edit) 4th Least penalized team in the p12. Last year they were 4th most.

teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-play?date=2014-01-06

Another interesting stat, Arizona is the 2nd in FBS in drawing penalties from opponents, and is one of the least penalized teams in the league. I think Dick Rod works refs over pretty hard.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Am I the only one who sees a hot Asian BBW spreading her legs in this chart??

• H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

Am I the only one who sees a hot Asian BBW spreading her legs in this chart??

It's a schooner.
  • TheChartTheChart Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2014
    topdawgnc said:

I don't need a chart, my eyes are as good as yours. Here's what a bad coach looks like:

Free Pub!1!!

You don't need me to tell you, but these guys do in fact suck.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    edited November 2014
    Right click, save as.

Explains most of the demise without words.