Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thoughts on Jonathan Smith

Comments

• Options
    MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment

As for the Smith, he is over his head. His first year at Boise St, his offense avg. 30 pts/ game, by far their lowest output in recent memory(I went back to 03'). They raised it up to 38 pts/ game in 12' bolstered by scoring 60+ against UT-Martin & So. Miss (1-11 that year).

6 years prior to Smith, Boise avg. 39+ pts/game for 6 straight years.

All you need to know about Smith is he obviously thinks Mickens > Ross & Washington > Cooper
    and after pounding down ASU's throat down the middle, you run a pitch to Shaq (with him lined up on that side of QB) on a key 3rd down at their 2.

Smith wasn't the OC at Boise, he was the QB coach there.

Robert Prince was the dreck OC in 2012, 2013.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think there is arguments on both sides. The talent isn't there to flat out win games, but the coaching isn't there at times to win the close ones.

The thing with talent is that we get a fresh batch each year to mold and configure how we see fit. The coaches, however, are paid and expected to be here for quite some time.

Sure, had we had the likes of KP, Sankey, ASJ, we may have outright won a couple more, but we had talent that kept us in the games and had us competing. We need more talent, yes, as it will help us not worry about close games. However, our coaching has shot ourselves in the foot on numerous occasions.

I do not feel the sky is falling, though the clouds are dropping and I think the gods need to claim Smith to the unemployment line.

He was a QB coach at Boise... not an OC. I'm not a fan of that little experience at the highest assistant level.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Solid poonts DJ. I'm not ready to join the lynch mob outside the stadium calling for Smith's head yet. He has been far from perfect this year, but I believe he just doesn't have the talent necessary to compete against the better Pac 12 defenses, the most glaring deficiency being at the QB position. Miles just isn't the guy, and I don't think he ever will be. It's hard to make an accurate judgement of the WR without a QB that can even throw consistently to them. I suspect there is talent there, most recently with Pettis coming on, it's just they aren't getting the consistent looks on the short / intermediate passing game.

So in short, LIPO, see how KJ Karta-Hymen-Samuals and possibly Browning pan out next year. If Smith has a competent QB to work with and can't implement a gameplan that will succeed, then I'll join the mob.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Thinking about Smith's handling of Ross, one of the most explosive playmakers in the country, makes me want to break something. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Gladstone said:

Thinking about Smith's handling of Ross, one of the most explosive playmakers in the country, makes me want to break something. Unbelievable.

The one play he was in on he quit on the play.... Not hard to see why they don't trust the guy.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have this octuple reverse we need you to run. I know it's the only play you get on offense, but it's going to be SUPER cool and totally catch the defense off guard. Oh, and don't mind that Cyler won't sell the fake.

;)

Gladstone said:

The one play he was in on he quit on the play.... Not hard to see why they don't trust the guy.
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    vadawg said:

IMO, the talent level left to Pete is way below what most people believed at the beginning of the year. Pete is trying to figure out who's going to stay with the team in the future and who isn't at this point. Everything I'm seeing on the field is experimentation to see who's worth a shit and who isn't.

And do you really think Sark would have left if he thought he'd stock piled a team with PAC 12 championship caliber players?!?! What fucking coach has EVER done that???

Fuck people, let the foundation be built before you decide the house is going to fall down! Too many fucking chicken littles around here.

The "process" detailed in the blewprints has too much Mike Riley design influence in it.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Gladstone said:

Ross' only offensive asset is his speed ... nothing else about playing WR he does very well.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    Manning's only offensive asset is his arm ... nothing else about playing QB he does very well.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Gladstone said:

Manning's only offensive asset is his arm ... nothing else about playing QB he does very well.

Are you talking about Eli or Peyton?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Ross' only offensive asset is his speed ... nothing else about playing WR he does very well.
    So Pathon? Wgaf, just give him the damn ball and watch him score
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Actually it's Cupper.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canard said:

vadawg said:

IMO, the talent level left to Pete is way below what most people believed at the beginning of the year. Pete is trying to figure out who's going to stay with the team in the future and who isn't at this point. Everything I'm seeing on the field is experimentation to see who's worth a shit and who isn't.

And do you really think Sark would have left if he thought he'd stock piled a team with PAC 12 championship caliber players?!?! What fucking coach has EVER done that???

Fuck people, let the foundation be built before you decide the house is going to fall down! Too many fucking chicken littles around here.

The "process" detailed in the blewprints has too much Mike Riley design influence in it.
    What's your position on Petersen again?
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    haie said:

Canard said:

vadawg said:

What's your position on Petersen again?
    Don't think he's reached the requisite 23 times before it's over-used. Could be getting close.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

As for the Smith, he is over his head. His first year at Boise St, his offense avg. 30 pts/ game, by far their lowest output in recent memory(I went back to 03'). They raised it up to 38 pts/ game in 12' bolstered by scoring 60+ against UT-Martin & So. Miss (1-11 that year).

All you need to know about Smith is he obviously thinks Mickens > Ross & Washington > Cooper
    and after pounding down ASU's throat down the middle, you run a pitch to Shaq (with him lined up on that side of QB) on a key 3rd down at their 2.

Fuck me. Shows how much I have been paying attention to this shit show.

Now I feel much better knowing we hired a QB coach from a Power 15 conference to be our OC.

• Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437

Fuck me. Shows how much I have been paying attention to this shit show.

Now I feel much better knowing we hired a QB coach from a Power 15 conference to be our OC.

He was being groomed for UW

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

That is an assumption. I can't recall Ross ever dropping a pass. Elite speed, ability to make people miss, good hands. There are 3 traits he does well that factor into playing WR.

Ross is already starting at CB and probably the best CB on the team. I'm not complaining about the move, but I think it's fair to say Ross' ability wasn't optimized on offense.

I haven't seen much creativity in using him. I personally think he should have been used more like DAT. Move him around, put him in the backfield sometimes with another back, sometimes by himself, in the slot, out wide. Ross mostly played on the outside, which may not be what he is suited for. I think he's more of a utility guy and a weapon then strictly an outside WR.