Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thoughts on Jonathan Smith

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited November 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
I realize that I'm the only one in the Western Hemisphere defending Jonathan Smith at all, and that my words are bound to be misunderstood by some.

I agree there's a chance that Smith is a problem and in over his head. I do find it to be a puzzling hire given his resume. It also doesn't help matters that he doesn't look like a commanding leader, to say the least.

But my position of not completely rushing to judgment is based on two main factors. First, the decisions about which personal to use stems from Petersen's philosophy of OKG's and Smith has to adhere to that. Second, as the Huskies were running the ball down UCLA's throat and got inside the red zone, how do we know that Smith didn't have another off tackle play dialed up for Shaq, when Petersen intervened and told him it seemed like a grand time to run consecutive fly sweeps? We don't know what is going on there. For all we know, Petersen might have been the problem there.

When I was a teenager I used to get mad at Gary Pinkel for being so conservative, not understanding until later it was the Don James philosophy that led Pinkel to be that way. It's in that spirit that I'm trying to LIPO a bit before seeing if these disturbing offensive trends we are seeing stem from the OC or head coach. And at the end of the day, the head coach is the one who hired the OC.

So I guess that's all I have to say on the matter.

Comments

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    You don't win over 80% of your games for being stupid.

However,

It is starting to appear as if Peterman forgot how to coach.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    A thoughtful, reasoned (yet technically unsound) post.

It won't do very well in this forum.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Petersen said way back that he doesn't like to interfere with the coordinators during the game. Maybe he should reevaluate that stance.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not that I watched much of the game, but I'm pretty sure UW got its ass kicked in all three phases by UCLA.

Let's all blame the OC for that.

Lost in all this is that Shaq and the block by Clay on the Ross return were the only two instances where UW looked as tough or tougher than UCLA.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    While I don't think Smith has done a great or even good job at OC this year, I'm not going to trash him to no end like many are doing. With the clusrerfuck at OL, RB, and QB that he was left with I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this point and LIPO. I don't think he's coaching Cyler to be slow and dumb. I don't think he's coaching DiAndre Campbell to drop the ball, and I don't think he's coaching Mickens to run backwards. In a way, he's playing Texas Hold 'em and keeps getting dealt 2s and 7s non-suited. I'll give him another year or two to get his system in place and to get the Sark stink off.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Boise use to make unconventional, seemingly high risk play calls on a regular basis when their offense was rolling. I'm not talking about specific, high profile ones that have gotten all the publicity (hook and ladder, statue of liberty) but routine play calls mixed into routine drives. They would pull strange plays out of nowhere and pull them off more often than not.

I don't think Petersen is involved in specific play calls, but I think it's a reflection of his offensive philosophy. I'm personally not concerned about it anymore. When the personnel and the training match the philosophy it will start working. I'm still confident that it will eventually match even though the process of getting there is more painful than I was prepared for.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Smith is just the most visible part of the problem...the entire offensive staff is a bit of a head-scratcher:
    - Strausser (OL) - seems legit...no problems there.
    - PaoPao (TE) - brand new coach and hold-over from Sark...not saying he's a bad coach but a newbie.
    - Pease (WR) - Experience coach with a really checkered history, including his 2 year pissing match at UK as the OC and his 2 year failure as Florida's OC. Suppose to be a good recruiter, but not sure on his coaching or his personality.
    kentucky.com/2012/09/19/2342968/john-clay-hefty-lefty-still-throwing.html
    cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24310386/ap-florida-coach-will-muschamp-fires-offensive-coordinator-brent-pease
    - Bhonaphala (RBs) - College DB who's coached with Peterson and been his recruiting guy...my guess is a decent coach (assuming someone other that Shaq learns how to run) but one focused mostly on recruiting

and finally Smith (QBs/OC) -

Its not just that Smith is inexperienced and doesn't seem to know how to adapt his people to what he wants to do (still amazed in a driving rain and 30mph winds they gave TW his first start instead of starting Lundquist and running the read-option Swede 50 times...difference between inflexibility and trying to find any way to win). The entire offensive staff doesn't have a lot of history/experience with the exception of Pease, and his is pretty checkered with his time and UK and UF. He also seems to be a pretty strong personality, so not sure how he and Smith work together especially as the offensive gets more inept week-to-week (and I'm assuming the others aren't really focused on overall strategy).

Just a weird group of folks together...you'd think Peterman would be hands on and would get involved with the offense more to right the ship but can't say I've seen that.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    vadawg said:

IMO, the talent level left to Pete is way below what most people believed at the beginning of the year. Pete is trying to figure out who's going to stay with the team in the future and who isn't at this point. Everything I'm seeing on the field is experimentation to see who's worth a shit and who isn't.

And do you really think Sark would have left if he thought he'd stock piled a team with PAC 12 championship caliber players?!?! What fucking coach has EVER done that???

Fuck people, let the foundation be built before you decide the house is going to fall down! Too many fucking chicken littles around here.

18 - 20 games......
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

vadawg said:

IMO, the talent level left to Pete is way below what most people believed at the beginning of the year. Pete is trying to figure out who's going to stay with the team in the future and who isn't at this point. Everything I'm seeing on the field is experimentation to see who's worth a shit and who isn't.

And do you really think Sark would have left if he thought he'd stock piled a team with PAC 12 championship caliber players?!?! What fucking coach has EVER done that???

Fuck people, let the foundation be built before you decide the house is going to fall down! Too many fucking chicken littles around here.

USC is a better job to 99% of people who follow college football. And he got a raise. And he's from the greater LA area. That is why Sark left.

I agree about the experimentation. It's at least true to some extent. It doesn't make the struggles any less maddening. Or maybe it's a precursor of how it is going to be. If it is a problem, axe Smith now instead of going through another year or two of this shit.

It's not being a chicken little. This all in or all out shit with coaches is fucking stupid. Why can't we just be all in on winning? Nobody is calling for him to be fired, but right now, Petersen sucks. If/when he wins, he's great. The dig a little deeper and wait for the foundation or for Petersen to get his own guys is the same shit we heard with the last couple coaches. The only difference is Petersen has a far superior resume.
    I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but the bolded part is a big fucking deal.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    vadawg said:

This post smells a lot like the 0-12 talent argument. There is not a huge talent gap between UW, Stanford, UCLA and ASU. Stanford and ASU came down to a couple of brain dead play calls at key times. And IF you play UCLA with Peters and Hau'oli the entire game, I think talent wise it is a very close game.

TSHBO for some time now, so I guess we get to wait until next year to see if Coach Pete can live up to his reputation of a "great" coach, or if the Boise St "Big Boy" curse is alive and well.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Smith needs to get the QB and WRs timing corrected.

Go watch some of Baylor's offense, they have their timing down correct. UW has better athletes than Baylor.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,846
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

vadawg said:

18 - 20 games......
    I like to AuburnDoog the goal poasts away from 15 games. I do that.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    As for the Smith, he is over his head. His first year at Boise St, his offense avg. 30 pts/ game, by far their lowest output in recent memory(I went back to 03'). They raised it up to 38 pts/ game in 12' bolstered by scoring 60+ against UT-Martin & So. Miss (1-11 that year).

6 years prior to Smith, Boise avg. 39+ pts/game for 6 straight years.

All you need to know about Smith is he obviously thinks Mickens > Ross & Washington > Cooper
    and after pounding down ASU's throat down the middle, you run a pitch to Shaq (with him lined up on that side of QB) on a key 3rd down at their 2.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    The talent problem is that the talent of the team is very concentrated. Certain guys had to stay healthy so that the team as a whole could make progress. Against UCLA there was no Kikaha, Peters, Riva or Charles. Take away these guys and the team looks worse in any scenario even though some young guys are probably getting better.