Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Press Conference

2»

Comments

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320

This press conference is why I think we'll be in great hands. I don't think Peenerman gives two shits about winning this year. He wants to establish his way to do it, which I respect even though it's keeping T.R.O.Y. on the bench when he should OBVIOUSLY be playing. #iknowmorethanpete

The interesting thing is, when those balls were in the air for Pettis (#balljoke), I had faith he was going to catch them--unlike Wossy or anyone else we have. To me, that was a moment where I realized Peenerman was going to blow it up and play the guys who he can trust.

Also, I'm hearing Pettis is kind of like Shackleford of the Coney Island Shacklefords (#lightskinnedWRs).

Also, Shaq's a fucking beast.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    And now for the premium Caple content
    Quoting Chris Petersen on Shaq Thompson, the Heisman Trophy, UCLA and much more
    (On big plays, does that give you more confidence to open things up more) “When the stuff you’ve got in the game plan starts hitting and creating some momentum, it gives everybody confidence (that) we’re doing some things. I think the better team you play, the margin for error is so close. And that’s one of the things our guys need to continually understand that, ‘open’ against a good UCLA team is going to be very small. You’ve got to throw an accurate pass and the receiver’s got to make a tough catch. And that’s good … that’s how it’s going to be. It’s not going to be like practice where guys are running open and open by three yards. That’s not realistic. That’s the mentality we’ve got to get in terms of making plays.”
    ¿da fuq?
    (Have you crossed paths much with Mora, and did you know you have his dream job?) “I met him for the first time this year. Some of the meetings we had, and that’s it.”
    (Is John Ross not giving the effort in practice? Is that why he’s not being targeted?) “No. It’s nothing with that. John had been banged up a little bit over the couple weeks and we always go back to when guys can practice full speed and practice hard and all those things, it will show up eventually. Whether it’s our running backs or our tight end – that’s part of the game. You’re going to have to play a little bit banged up and hurt. But if you can’t practice to improve, it usually shows up. I think there’s some of those things going on at a lot of positions. But how many games have we played now? That’s where we are. This is the tough part of the season, this is where the tough guys show up.”

(More on that) “It’s really a challenge. Because it’s hard to practice, let alone practice when you’re not 100 percent. Some guys are better at it than others. Those that can be better at it…it shows up on game day. If you don’t take a lot of reps and all those things…I don’t believe in those guys that hey, I’m a gamer. Just get me to the game. And I know guys can have a good game and those rare things happen – but that’s rare. The guys that can have a little fortune and stay healthy and those guys that can have a lot of toughness and work through hurts – and some guys are injured. We make a difference between that. When you’re injured, you can’t go. You’re going to hurt your team, you’re going to hurt yourself. You might set yourself back. That’s why we’ve got a great medical staff to differentiate between he needs to slow down, he’s a not-go, we need to get him healed up. At this point if you’re playing all healthy, you oughta go to Las Vegas and let it ride because you’ve got a lot of luck on your side.”
    (Ever used facepaint as a motivational tool?) “We’ve done it.

(Even with your coaches?) “I don’t know about that. I know this – you’re always trying, I always think we’re trying to educate our guys. I want to educate guys. You want to motivate them, and motivate them … sometimes it’s in fun ways, sometimes it’s imagery, it’s whatever. And so, hey, whatever works. You’ve just got to gauge your team and if that fires guys up, we’ve done that in the past ourselves. The kids get into it. Do they get into it, do they buy in, are they in on it? They are, you go.”

(Did you win?) “We did.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afsCkt7KneQ
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    I was disappointed we didn't hear how cool this week of practice would be knowing we were bowling.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I was disappointed we didn't hear how cool this week of practice would be knowing we were bowling.

6-7 is not guaranteed a bowl.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Kikaha though quiet is a funny guy.
  • SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 941

This press conference is why I think we'll be in great hands. I don't think Peenerman gives two shits about winning this year. He wants to establish his way to do it, which I respect even though it's keeping T.R.O.Y. on the bench when he should OBVIOUSLY be playing. #iknowmorethanpete

The interesting thing is, when those balls were in the air for Pettis (#balljoke), I had faith he was going to catch them--unlike Wossy or anyone else we have. To me, that was a moment where I realized Peenerman was going to blow it up and play the guys who he can trust.

Also, I'm hearing Pettis is kind of like Shackleford of the Coney Island Shacklefords (#lightskinnedWRs).

Also, Shaq's a fucking beast.

Free pub
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    When Pete speaks in public, what he says reveals a lot less than what he doesn't say.

It's pretty clear this guy just isn't going to rip one of his players in the media. Team business stays internal. Even when discussing the off-season suspensions, or the Peters suspension, does anyone recall him making any really harsh public remarks about those guys? I don't.

Here, Pete is asked about Ross's practice habits. He doesn't pan the kid but immediately jumps to how hard Pettis has been working. Same basic pattern whether he's addressing Daniels, Kasen, Coleman, Washington, Beaver, Riva: "...Yeah, it's hard, we're just gonna keep trying to work those guys in..." Unless you're a total fucktard, that pretty much tells you everything you need to know.
  • drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    Ok, "need more Shaqs" is code for "needing more bullets". That's the first time he has coded Willingham.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,379 Founders Club
    droggins said:

Ok, "need more Shaqs" is code for "needing more bullets". That's the first time he has coded Willingham.
    Don James once told me that if he could have 100 Dave Hoffmanns on his team that would be ideal. He wasn't speaking from just talent or bullets, but from the standpoint of 100% dedication to the team and the insane work ethic.

Coach Pete might have been alluding to that as opposed to "need more bullets."
  • SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    droggins said:

Need more shaq's is definitely akin to needs more bullets, but that's hardly the first time he's gone Willingham. He's going molder of men and OKG in the same vein as well. He's probably going to suddenly senior Ross and he's only a soph.

In all seriousness, he's much closer in tone to Willingham than Sark or Neuheisal, so you will see some similarities. Though I prefer the Riley comparison.

In terms of wins and losses, nothing unexpected has happened yet. His and the team's reactions when something does (good and bad) will be telling.