Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

OL two-deeps next year

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
Dreckfest or ok because they have another year with Strausser? Ivan will get also really really really get ahold of them after the bowel game.

LT: RS-JR Eldrenkamp / RS-Frosh Matt James (will be bad if he has to play since he probably won't be ready)

LG: RS-SR Charles / RS-Frosh John Turner?

C: RS-SR Tufunga / RS-Soph Crane

RG: RS-JR Brostek (or Tufunga) / RS-SR Ross Dolbec OR RS-Soph Andrew Kirkland (Tufunga could also be an option here if Crane starts at Center).

RT: RS-Soph Shelton / RS-Soph Kirkland?

RS-JR Cory Fuvai will probably still on the roster but won't see the field unless in an emergency. Walk-on Ross Dolbec will be a RS-SR and I think he earned a scholarship one season, maybe he'll factor in at RG if Brostek can't secure the starting spot.

RS-Frosh Sosebee sounds like he could be a big OG down the road but like Matt James, he probably shouldn't get many reps next year.

If the starting OL consists of Eldrenkamp, Charles, Tufunga, Brostek, and Shelton, that will mean the OL will be starting 4 guys who already have starting experience (all except for Eldrenkamp). Tufunga just started his 2nd game @ Colorado and Shelton has now started 7 or 8 games. Brostek started one or two games as as true frosh in 2012 and may have started 1 in 2013 (I can't remember for sure though).

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    Will Henry Roberts be ready to rumble?
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    My guess is that he'll be ready to compete for the LG spot as a RS-Frosh in 2016. Sounds like Trey Adams and Jared Hilbers are the OTs in the class and Roberts is a very agile OG but maybe he'll play LT.
    jecornel said:

Will Henry Roberts be ready to rumble?

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2014
    Petersen praised John Turner earlier this year. I think he's the freshman they are highest on.

Tufunga, Charles, and Shelton are almost certain to start. The other two spots could be almost anyone.

I do think they will be a dreckfest, at least until later in the season, where they might be average. They almost certainly won't be good.
    I totally agree but apparently he has his eyes on Evan Hudson's position. Dissly seems like a better fit there though.
    TTJ said:

Caleb McGary is born to be a LT.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    Peterman is going to earn his money getting both line units to perform next year.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Dont be surprised to see Shelton at LT. Hes are best lineman next to Charles.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Peterman is going to earn his money getting both line units to perform next year.

No shit. The whole DL is gone. A couple of the young guys are playing well there but 4 guys are going to jump from part time player or RS year to starting roles. The DL is going to be younger and less experienced than the OL.

But yeah, I believe the OL will suck and the DL will be passable. That's the pattern and I'll never predict otherwise again until I see it happen. UW's OL has sucked for too long.
    For sure, I could see that happening.

I'm most concerned about losing Hatchie now since it already feels like we lost Riva.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    jecornel said:

chuck said:

Swaye said:

No shit. The whole DL is gone. A couple of the young guys are playing well there but 4 guys are going to jump from part time player or RS year to starting roles. The DL is going to be younger and less experienced than the OL.

But yeah, I believe the OL will suck and the DL will be passable. That's the pattern and I'll never predict otherwise again until I see it happen. UW's OL has sucked for too long.
    Vitae Vea should be a great addition and Qualls should be a nice player. I am actaully looking forward to how the D-line develops. Kikaha obviously is a huge loss, but I think this group could be pretty decent next year. Greg Gaines is highly regarded and Dissly has already shown a great motor.
    Four more reasons McGary should play LT.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2014

He's not our 2nd best lineman. Atoe was playing RT and Criste RG for at least part of yesterday's game. Shelton and Atoe are the worst OL on the team. Pressure on the QB has frequently came from the right. Shelton might turn out to be a good one, but he's small and lacks strengths.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    The DL has the personnel to be a dominant force in the coming years. Qualls and Mathis are starting to show a bit as others have noted. Vea is a natural replacement for Shelton and Dissly, McGary, Gaines, Johnson are some excellent looking prospects.

Surely the D will take a step back next season but perhaps with some coaching and proper development the back 7 can be almost as good as it is now. Look at ASU's D. Lost 10 starters and was a dreckfest to start the year but has slowly gotten better. Theres no reason we shouldn't have the same type of expectation for next seasons D.

The DL has the personnel to be a dominant force in the coming years. Qualls and Mathis are starting to show a bit as others have noted. Vea is a natural replacement for Shelton and Dissly, McGary, Gaines, Johnson are some excellent looking prospects.

Surely the D will take a step back next season but perhaps with some coaching and proper development the back 7 can be almost as good as it is now. Look at ASU's D. Lost 10 starters and was a dreckfest to start the year but has slowly gotten better. Theres no reason we shouldn't have the same type of expectation for next seasons D.

I'm pretty confident in Petersen's recruiting and development on the DL and secondary in particular. You're probably right. OL take longer to develop, and while Sarkisian left a couple of good prospects on the DL I'm not sure he left anything on the OL.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    would it really be THAT bad to have Garnett, Banner and Williams on campus... with Peterman as coach... competing in that group?

would it really be THAT bad to have Garnett, Banner and Williams on campus... with Peterman as coach... competing in that group?

Don't worry about that class. The next year is going to be a bumper crop instate.

Wait...
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793

Ill go on record that the defense will be a top 5 unit in the conference next year.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

Ill go on record that the defense will be a top 5 unit in the conference next year.
    Would not surprise me. Nice group of LBs and DBs returning. And a strong looking corps of young DL waiting their turn.