Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The issue with the QBing became clear to me during the ASU game.

2»

Comments

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

@Meek‌ - I haven't written Troy off and I'm back from the dead on Miles. If all of your highly-sought-after QBs suck for similar reasons, then it's probably not the QBs that suck--it's the coaching.

All of the qb's have easy to see flaws. But yes right now coaching is the biggest issue on offense.
    Are we talented? No. But there is no excuse for being as bad as we are
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2014

Tequilla said:

Is there a single positional group on this offense that is PAC average?

You should have paid more attention to what I said versus what you think I said. First, there were a couple of instances during the game where we went more up-tempo and I thought Williams looked better in those situations. The more he thought the more he paralyzed himself. Second, I never said that Williams was good ... I said he wasn't a dumpster fire ... you should learn the difference.

It was a 10-10 game in the 4th quarter. Defense gets a stop and life is good. They didn't. Such is life.

Look through the constants of this season in conference play: Offense struggles to score, defense generally giving a chance to win the game. The only game the offense looked reasonable in was against Cal - and they are probably one of the 2-3 worst defensive teams in the conference. It just is what it is at this point ... a total shit sandwich.

We've seen 3 QBs this year and it looks like we have 3 QBs that are drastically struggling to make basic throws required at the PAC level. Miles is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt on the season - but only 6 per attempt in conference play.

What have we seen at RB that gives you any confidence moving forward? Coleman is averaging 4.1 yards per carry. Washington 3.8. I agree that we need to see more of Cooper - but can he give you a 25 carry game?

Our best option for sure on offense is John Ross but how do you get him the ball? If he was a high end WR then I think it'd be a lot easier to get him touches. But my sense is that he's good at running drags and go's and doesn't have a lot of nuance in his receiving game. Mickens averages under 9 yards per attempt. In my mind there's not a single quality option in the passing game. When you have QBs that have their own limitations in place and then combine that with WRs that don't possess the kind of size/speed combination to cause defenses trouble, you're asking flawed QBs to have to fit balls in that they aren't capable of fitting in. What you get is a paralyzing passing game. That's what we have.

This team is a slug it out, play good defense, play good special teams, and hopefully find a score or two along the way out of those two units to help the offense. If anything in that combo breaks down, we're in big trouble. We got the defensive score Saturday. Special teams in general wasn't good - Durkee was TERRIBLE. Getting a FG blocked hurt big time.

It's easy to blame the coach and say that these guys need to get coached up and get better. But there's very few guys slotted correctly on this offense right now and that doesn't get fixed by coaching some of these guys up. Right now we just flat out don't have good enough players on offense.

More fluff, Tequilla. A week ago you placed the majority of the blame on Miles. I read exactly what you wrote, and saying Williams wasn't a dumpster fire is FS. He was. We all know the circumstances and he is a young QB, but it was what it was. Now, we have no QB and the rest of the talent sucks and what can the coaches do?

Was talent the reason we only beat Hawaii by one? What about the Eastern game? Please don't go into a tl,dr post about why those games were so close. We all watched them. We are 1-3 in Pac 12. We lost two winnable games that with better coaching could have been wins. At some point, it's on the coach, Tequilla. Nothing has really changed long term wise, but he's not getting it done so far this season. Simple fact. Keep blaming everyone else though.
    Roaddawg calling out tequila is comedy gold.

"Take your own advice, dig a little deeper, and take a peek at UW's schedule. Then go look at how those teams have been playing on defense. If we keep playing good defense and take care of the ball we will win a lot of games." -Roaddawg 2 weeks ago.
    Well I would expect more than 3 points scored by the offense against ASU. If you want to get technical, we didn't take care of the ball the past two losses. We didn't play good defense against Oregon. I underestimated how bad the offense really was or at least has been so far. But I thought we were going to lose to Cal and get plungered by ASU? Saving a direct quote from a few weeks ago is kind of creepy. You care that much?

We've all been wrong about plenty of stuff. My issue is Tequilla keeps blaming everything but the coaching. New excuses every week.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2014
    It's tough to play QB in that kind of weather, especially for a first start. It wasn't his fault we lost the game, the talent around him is not very good, and the coaching seems to be suspect. I just don't know what you saw to want to see Williams again. He has a stronger arm than Cyler, which is great, but that's about it. He's not a better runner, he stares WR's down the whole way, and he was as bad against the blitz as Miles. He could have thrown two or three more picks. Hartivgson dropped a short hitch that could have been caught, but was thrown at his knees from five yards away.

Everyone thinks I love Miles. I don't. He's very, very mediocre and his ceiling doesn't look very high. I just accept that he's very likely the best QB on the roster. Yeah, we haven't seen much of Williams, but we haven't seen Lindquist much either. Miles was always the back up behind Price and the fact that he sat out all Spring and was handed the job week 2 is an indictment on the other two QB's. Same with Lindquist starting week one over Williams. It's safe to say Williams has a long way to go and Miles taking care of the ball gives the team the best chance of winning.
    HFNY said:

Williams sucked but I'd love to see him get a chance to start against a D like Cal's....well Colorado is just what the doctor ordered but Miles will get the start again. We already know what Miles can do against bad defenses like Cal's (24 points) but what about Williams?

Smith doesn't seem to understand that taking a shot deep is ok even if it is incomplete. If both safeties are always 10 yards away from the LOS instead of 1 or both being 15-20 yards deep, it's that much harder to run the ball.

Our read-option sucks and the lack of creativity / flow is compounded by the injuries and relative lack of talent on O compared with top half Pac-12 teams.

FYFMFE

Tequilla said:

You should have paid more attention to what I said versus what you think I said. First, there were a couple of instances during the game where we went more up-tempo and I thought Williams looked better in those situations. The more he thought the more he paralyzed himself. Second, I never said that Williams was good ... I said he wasn't a dumpster fire ... you should learn the difference.

It was a 10-10 game in the 4th quarter. Defense gets a stop and life is good. They didn't. Such is life.

Look through the constants of this season in conference play: Offense struggles to score, defense generally giving a chance to win the game. The only game the offense looked reasonable in was against Cal - and they are probably one of the 2-3 worst defensive teams in the conference. It just is what it is at this point ... a total shit sandwich.

We've seen 3 QBs this year and it looks like we have 3 QBs that are drastically struggling to make basic throws required at the PAC level. Miles is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt on the season - but only 6 per attempt in conference play.

What have we seen at RB that gives you any confidence moving forward? Coleman is averaging 4.1 yards per carry. Washington 3.8. I agree that we need to see more of Cooper - but can he give you a 25 carry game?

Our best option for sure on offense is John Ross but how do you get him the ball? If he was a high end WR then I think it'd be a lot easier to get him touches. But my sense is that he's good at running drags and go's and doesn't have a lot of nuance in his receiving game. Mickens averages under 9 yards per attempt. In my mind there's not a single quality option in the passing game. When you have QBs that have their own limitations in place and then combine that with WRs that don't possess the kind of size/speed combination to cause defenses trouble, you're asking flawed QBs to have to fit balls in that they aren't capable of fitting in. What you get is a paralyzing passing game. That's what we have.

This team is a slug it out, play good defense, play good special teams, and hopefully find a score or two along the way out of those two units to help the offense. If anything in that combo breaks down, we're in big trouble. We got the defensive score Saturday. Special teams in general wasn't good - Durkee was TERRIBLE. Getting a FG blocked hurt big time.

It's easy to blame the coach and say that these guys need to get coached up and get better. But there's very few guys slotted correctly on this offense right now and that doesn't get fixed by coaching some of these guys up. Right now we just flat out don't have good enough players on offense.

More fluff, Tequilla. A week ago you placed the majority of the blame on Miles. I read exactly what you wrote, and saying Williams wasn't a dumpster fire is FS. He was. We all know the circumstances and he is a young QB, but it was what it was. Now, we have no QB and the rest of the talent sucks and what can the coaches do?

Was talent the reason we only beat Hawaii by one? What about the Eastern game? Please don't go into a tl,dr post about why those games were so close. We all watched them. We are 1-3 in Pac 12. We lost two winnable games that with better coaching could have been wins. At some point, it's on the coach, Tequilla. Nothing has really changed long term wise, but he's not getting it done so far this season. Simple fact. Keep blaming everyone else though.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Tequilla said:

Roaddawg calling out tequila is comedy gold.

"Take your own advice, dig a little deeper, and take a peek at UW's schedule. Then go look at how those teams have been playing on defense. If we keep playing good defense and take care of the ball we will win a lot of games." -Roaddawg 2 weeks ago.
    Well I would expect more than 3 points scored by the offense against ASU. If you want to get technical, we didn't take care of the ball the past two losses. We didn't play good defense against Oregon. I underestimated how bad the offense really was or at least has been so far. But I thought we were going to lose to Cal and get plungered by ASU? Saving a direct quote from a few weeks ago is kind of creepy. You care that much?

We've all been wrong about plenty of stuff. My issue is Tequilla keeps blaming everything but the coaching. New excuses every week.
    I haven’t been wrong. Ever.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,536 Swaye's Wigwam
    Was a pretty certain I'd have some poast in here like 'The offense only sucks because of Miles. Its hard. Beat for Pete.'