Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The issue with the QBing became clear to me during the ASU game.

The offense is too fucking complicated and has no direction (well, the no direction thing was clear at UH). When Troy just played and didn't have to think too much against Oregon, he was fine. The more Miley got comfortable, the better he looked.

Toward the end of the game Troy (other than the pick 6) looked better because he was just slinging it. You can tell they put a fucking brainlock on the young QBs by asking them to be Kellen fucking Moore as a senior because that's how they think you win games. How about play to our strength as a run-first team, then start to get the play-action working with two routes and some fucking sluggos?

For Christ's sake--how fucking complicated does our offense need to be when both Cooper and Shaq were over 5ypc? Why are we doing multiple shifts and making Troy (or Miles) brain-freeze by having them have to read the entire fucking defense to throw a pass?

When I look back at Mark Brunell's first few starts, there was no way he was more sophisticated than our QBs now... it was just that the offense wasn't designed for a Rhodes Scholar senior and actually took his talents into account. I'm not willing to say our talent is shit on offense--the mind talent is the fucking problem; even fucking Sark didn't dick around this much.

The only 'high percentage' pass we throw is to the fucking sidelines to Jaydon FUCKING MICKENS!?!? Why do we ever throw it to Jaydon Fucking Mickens?

Also--great creative wrinkle bringing the Mad Swede in to just run forward. No one has been able to figure that out yet! Might want to try it 6 times so even the announcers know he's going to just run forward.

Jesus.

FJS-FYFMFE.

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Some of us knew this by the end of September.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    But how is Jonathan Smiff a bad coach?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. The passing offense is as vanilla as it gets. They aren't asking the QB's to do anything complex at all.

Brunell as a sophomore was 50 times the QB anyone as we have on this roster.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,303
    edited October 2014
    And they're bringing jake browning in in january, if you can't see Joseph Smith putting his eggs in that basket (75k) I can't help you.

They're not changing the offense anytime soon.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    yeah, but basing troy's qb abilities by stepping in and winging it against an oregon team that hadn't seen him before and had already wrapped up the game and with a very small sample size of plays versus dropping him in as a starter in a night game against a team whose first stringers are gunning for your head is a little bit different. I honestly think it was crazy to expect any type of success from Williams on Saturday night. This is one that truly does need to play out... he's a kid who was just thrust from #3 up to starter in a very short time.
  • MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724

@Meek‌ - I haven't written Troy off and I'm back from the dead on Miles. If all of your highly-sought-after QBs suck for similar reasons, then it's probably not the QBs that suck--it's the coaching.

Seriously, it is like someone complaining that all of the people they date are crazy....the common denominator is them (and likely the actual source of crazy).
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Williams looked freer the more he could play on the sandlot ...

He also was 18 of 26 ... so he wasn't a dumpster fire.

For whatever reason we can't rip throws in the intermediate or deep passing game to make it easier to run the football.

Yes, I get that we ran for 5 yards per carry. But honestly, we had one drive that really helped on that. The rest we'd get 2 strong runs followed by a run that was a loss that put us behind down/distance. Our OL or our RBs aren't good enough to tell everybody in the world that they are running the ball and get away with it.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2014
    Tequilla said:

For whatever reason we can't rip throws in the intermediate or deep passing game to make it easier to run the football.

Yes, I get that we ran for 5 yards per carry. But honestly, we had one drive that really helped on that. The rest we'd get 2 strong runs followed by a run that was a loss that put us behind down/distance. Our OL or our RBs aren't good enough to tell everybody in the world that they are running the ball and get away with it.

15-23 for 86 yards, 3 turnovers before the final drive when it was 24-10 and ASU was in prevent. There could have been two or three more INT's. He telegraphed a couple of quick slants that were jumped. You said Miles completion percentage doesn't matter (which I agree with), so why does Williams? Watch the game again and see the times he took off to run. He looked like a young QB that wasn't ready to play. If you want to blame it on the weather and coaching (both were a factor) that's fine, but he was terrible. If Miles played that game you wouldn't be saying it wasn't a complete dumpster fire.

Anyways, as bad as Williams was, this game was on the coaches. When everything on offense is a mess, it points to bad coaching. This week basically cemented what I have thought for awhile.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Tequilla said:

15-23 for 86 yards, 3 turnovers before the final drive when it was 24-10 and ASU was in prevent. There could have been two or three more INT's. He telegraphed a couple of quick slants that were jumped. You said Miles completion percentage doesn't matter (which I agree with), so why does Williams? Watch the game again and see the times he took off to run. He looked like a young QB that wasn't ready to play. If you want to blame it on the weather and coaching (both were a factor) that's fine, but he was terrible. If Miles played that game you wouldn't be saying it wasn't a complete dumpster fire.

Anyways, as bad as Williams was, this game was on the coaches. When everything on offense is a mess, it points to bad coaching. This week basically cemented what I have thought for awhile.
    I still like Williams better than Miles, but it's so hard to tell who the F to like because the fucking game-plans make no goddamn sense.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,599
    No matter who the QB is, they should look better against Colorado's leaky anus of a D.

Would also be great to get back 40% of our OL (Riva and Charles). Maybe our top 2 RBs too.

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    I like to call an offense with 3 passing plays overly complicated.

I like to do that.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    That is a lot of wasted key strokes when the TSIO.
    Is there a single positional group on this offense that is PAC average?

You should have paid more attention to what I said versus what you think I said. First, there were a couple of instances during the game where we went more up-tempo and I thought Williams looked better in those situations. The more he thought the more he paralyzed himself. Second, I never said that Williams was good ... I said he wasn't a dumpster fire ... you should learn the difference.

It was a 10-10 game in the 4th quarter. Defense gets a stop and life is good. They didn't. Such is life.

Look through the constants of this season in conference play: Offense struggles to score, defense generally giving a chance to win the game. The only game the offense looked reasonable in was against Cal - and they are probably one of the 2-3 worst defensive teams in the conference. It just is what it is at this point ... a total shit sandwich.

We've seen 3 QBs this year and it looks like we have 3 QBs that are drastically struggling to make basic throws required at the PAC level. Miles is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt on the season - but only 6 per attempt in conference play.

What have we seen at RB that gives you any confidence moving forward? Coleman is averaging 4.1 yards per carry. Washington 3.8. I agree that we need to see more of Cooper - but can he give you a 25 carry game?

Our best option for sure on offense is John Ross but how do you get him the ball? If he was a high end WR then I think it'd be a lot easier to get him touches. But my sense is that he's good at running drags and go's and doesn't have a lot of nuance in his receiving game. Mickens averages under 9 yards per attempt. In my mind there's not a single quality option in the passing game. When you have QBs that have their own limitations in place and then combine that with WRs that don't possess the kind of size/speed combination to cause defenses trouble, you're asking flawed QBs to have to fit balls in that they aren't capable of fitting in. What you get is a paralyzing passing game. That's what we have.

This team is a slug it out, play good defense, play good special teams, and hopefully find a score or two along the way out of those two units to help the offense. If anything in that combo breaks down, we're in big trouble. We got the defensive score Saturday. Special teams in general wasn't good - Durkee was TERRIBLE. Getting a FG blocked hurt big time.

It's easy to blame the coach and say that these guys need to get coached up and get better. But there's very few guys slotted correctly on this offense right now and that doesn't get fixed by coaching some of these guys up. Right now we just flat out don't have good enough players on offense.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Tequilla said:

You should have paid more attention to what I said versus what you think I said. First, there were a couple of instances during the game where we went more up-tempo and I thought Williams looked better in those situations. The more he thought the more he paralyzed himself. Second, I never said that Williams was good ... I said he wasn't a dumpster fire ... you should learn the difference.

It was a 10-10 game in the 4th quarter. Defense gets a stop and life is good. They didn't. Such is life.

Look through the constants of this season in conference play: Offense struggles to score, defense generally giving a chance to win the game. The only game the offense looked reasonable in was against Cal - and they are probably one of the 2-3 worst defensive teams in the conference. It just is what it is at this point ... a total shit sandwich.

We've seen 3 QBs this year and it looks like we have 3 QBs that are drastically struggling to make basic throws required at the PAC level. Miles is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt on the season - but only 6 per attempt in conference play.

What have we seen at RB that gives you any confidence moving forward? Coleman is averaging 4.1 yards per carry. Washington 3.8. I agree that we need to see more of Cooper - but can he give you a 25 carry game?

Our best option for sure on offense is John Ross but how do you get him the ball? If he was a high end WR then I think it'd be a lot easier to get him touches. But my sense is that he's good at running drags and go's and doesn't have a lot of nuance in his receiving game. Mickens averages under 9 yards per attempt. In my mind there's not a single quality option in the passing game. When you have QBs that have their own limitations in place and then combine that with WRs that don't possess the kind of size/speed combination to cause defenses trouble, you're asking flawed QBs to have to fit balls in that they aren't capable of fitting in. What you get is a paralyzing passing game. That's what we have.

This team is a slug it out, play good defense, play good special teams, and hopefully find a score or two along the way out of those two units to help the offense. If anything in that combo breaks down, we're in big trouble. We got the defensive score Saturday. Special teams in general wasn't good - Durkee was TERRIBLE. Getting a FG blocked hurt big time.

It's easy to blame the coach and say that these guys need to get coached up and get better. But there's very few guys slotted correctly on this offense right now and that doesn't get fixed by coaching some of these guys up. Right now we just flat out don't have good enough players on offense.

It hurts.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2014
    Tequilla said:

More fluff, Tequilla. A week ago you placed the majority of the blame on Miles. I read exactly what you wrote, and saying Williams wasn't a dumpster fire is FS. He was. We all know the circumstances and he is a young QB, but it was what it was. Now, we have no QB and the rest of the talent sucks and what can the coaches do?

Was talent the reason we only beat Hawaii by one? What about the Eastern game? Please don't go into a tl,dr post about why those games were so close. We all watched them. We are 1-3 in Pac 12. We lost two winnable games that with better coaching could have been wins. At some point, it's on the coach, Tequilla. Nothing has really changed long term wise, but he's not getting it done so far this season. Simple fact. Keep blaming everyone else though.
    You're right ... Miles hasn't been good enough. I said that. Still believe that.

I want to see Williams play another game at some point without shitty wind conditions to see if he can stretch the field a bit - something that Miles has not shown an ability to do.

At any point in the last month plus have I said anything about this team being an offensive force with a QB change? Absolutely not. What I've been saying is that this team needs more from the QB position and if Miles can't give that to you, then I'd rather go down trying to find someone that can do better than just sit around and watch us not be good enough.

The OL is what it is - that's not changing.

The RBs are what they are - that's not really changing either.

The WRs are what they are - probably not changing there either.

Only position where you could find something that could spark tangible change at this point is the QB position. Didn't work on Saturday. Maybe it won't work. But it is what it is.

There have been some play calls that I think you'd want to have back. That's true with any situation.

6 weeks ago many wanted the defensive staff fired. Anybody saying that now?

Not saying that the situation is perfect, but it's far from ideal.

Yes, we've had 4 conference games. One an easy win and one a blowout loss. The other 2 games we've had chances to win at home in the 4th quarter and lost both games. Yes, that's frustrating. But at no point in either of those two games did I think that we did enough to win the game. We've scored 23 points in those 2 games - 14 of which came directly from the defense.

I don't think we need to play a perfect football game to win games. But we have to play very good football to win. We can't make debilitating mistakes. We have a very limited margin of error to win games. That's just what it is at this point.

We all like to throw out behavioral biases on this board - particularly confirmation bias. But at this point, there's a lot of anchoring going on here. Lots of people think that this team is something different or better than what they are. 8 games into a season you pretty much are what you are ... I don't care who is coaching this team you aren't going to get much more out of it than you are seeing right now.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Tequilla said:

More fluff, Tequilla. A week ago you placed the majority of the blame on Miles. I read exactly what you wrote, and saying Williams wasn't a dumpster fire is FS. He was. We all know the circumstances and he is a young QB, but it was what it was. Now, we have no QB and the rest of the talent sucks and what can the coaches do?

Was talent the reason we only beat Hawaii by one? What about the Eastern game? Please don't go into a tl,dr post about why those games were so close. We all watched them. We are 1-3 in Pac 12. We lost two winnable games that with better coaching could have been wins. At some point, it's on the coach, Tequilla. Nothing has really changed long term wise, but he's not getting it done so far this season. Simple fact. Keep blaming everyone else though.
    Roaddawg calling out tequila is comedy gold.

"Take your own advice, dig a little deeper, and take a peek at UW's schedule. Then go look at how those teams have been playing on defense. If we keep playing good defense and take care of the ball we will win a lot of games." -Roaddawg 2 weeks ago.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,599
    Williams sucked but I'd love to see him get a chance to start against a D like Cal's....well Colorado is just what the doctor ordered but Miles will get the start again. We already know what Miles can do against bad defenses like Cal's (24 points) but what about Williams?

Smith doesn't seem to understand that taking a shot deep is ok even if it is incomplete. If both safeties are always 10 yards away from the LOS instead of 1 or both being 15-20 yards deep, it's that much harder to run the ball.

Our read-option sucks and the lack of creativity / flow is compounded by the injuries and relative lack of talent on O compared with top half Pac-12 teams.

FYFMFE

Tequilla said: