Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A little perspective on the Miles/Williams debate

WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
edited October 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Before:

After:

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited October 2014
    This would be more relevant if the masses were calling for Gurgles Lindquist or Kijana Carter-Samuels.
  • UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member Posts: 3,475
    Hope springs eternal, Williams >>>> Miles
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    It was only a little over a month ago that people thought Kirk Cousins was better than RG3.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793

It was only a little over a month ago that people thought Kirk Cousins was better than RG3.

This.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Cousins biggest problem is that he turns the ball over too much - you can work at fixing that.

He's completing close to 62% of his passes, averaging almost 8.4 yards per attempt, and has a rating of over 86 - which while isn't great isn't just ridiculously terrible either. It's a better rating than Nick Foles for example who many think is a great QB.
    Tequilla said:

Cousins biggest problem is that he turns the ball over too much - you can work at fixing that.

He's completing close to 62% of his passes, averaging almost 8.4 yards per attempt, and has a rating of over 86 - which while isn't great isn't just ridiculously terrible either. It's a better rating than Nick Foles for example who many think is a great QB.

Cousins is terrible. He was terrible before this season and he's terrible this season.

He got benched for Colt Fucking McCoy for a reason.

He'll never start another NFL game.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    But Williams is a better runner, more athletic, and has a stronger arm than Miles so how is the statuesque Cousins a good example?

I think the Nunes / Hogan comparison is more apt...Nunes was highly recruited yet clearly wasn't the answer when they lost to us up here in 2012 so they went with RS-Frosh Kevin Hogan who has won a bunch with them.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    Tequilla said:

Christ.

Who cares if He has 15 ypa if he throws it to the wrong fuckin team 3 or 4 times per game.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited October 2014
    I'd rather have Williams throwing 2 picks a game, which coaches could eventually correct vs Miles being afraid to take any chances, which the coaches can't correct.
    HFNY said:

But Williams is a better runner, more athletic, and has a stronger arm than Miles so how is the statuesque Cousins a good example?

I think the Nunes / Hogan comparison is more apt...Nunes was highly recruited yet clearly wasn't the answer when they lost to us up here in 2012 so they went with RS-Frosh Kevin Hogan who has won a bunch with them.

You can find examples of both cases. We'll know the case when/if Williams gets extended playing time in a real game.
    edited October 2014
    Tequilla said:

Nick Foles in 2013: 64%, 2,891, 9.12, 27 TD, 2 INT, rating of 119.2. Gee, I wonder why people think he is a really good QB?

Tequilla said:

Nick Foles in 2013: 64%, 2,891, 9.12, 27 TD, 2 INT, rating of 119.2. Gee, I wonder why people think he is a really good QB?
    He got lucky with a whole slew of dropped int's. His regression this year was obvious.

Foles is nothing special but much better than Cousins
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Fuck Perspective
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    My point on Cousins isn't that he's the greatest QB in the world ... but it's clear that he's got talent but needs to find ways to harness the talent. Benching him probably isn't a bad idea in the grand scheme of things. And let's be honest, the Redskins for the most part are terrible and have been for a while for a number of reasons.

I'm ok with Williams making a few mistakes if he's making some plays going with it such that the good >>> bad. It's part of the learning curve.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
    HFNY said:

You guys are overthinking the poast, it's not a player comparison. The point is that a backup that looks good briefly and people think is the answer can fall apart quickly. 3 weeks ago everybody said he was better than RG3, now he's holding Colt McCoy's jock. The Devil's advocate would say at least they saw what they had though.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,093 Swaye's Wigwam
    How come this thread doesn't mention Billy Joe Hobert?
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

I'd rather have Williams throwing 2 picks a game, which coaches could eventually correct vs Miles being afraid to take any chances, which the coaches can't correct.

2 picks a game but what else? If he's throwing 20-30 for 250+ with 2 picks then thats tolerable. However, I don't think he's capable of that. People are just assuming he will have better stats than Miles. He might get to that point at the very end of the year but I'm guessing he's not close to that yet.
    Exactly, I'm pretty sure I know what we have with Miles after his 1 1/2 games last year and 6 games this year: a guy who can manage the offense and play decently against teams like Cal and Illinois but a QB who struggles against better competition (he struggled mightily against Stanford and @ Oregon this year...also threw 2 INTs in subbing for Price @ UCLA last year and had 4 rushing attempts for -4 yards).

HFNY said:

You guys are overthinking the poast, it's not a player comparison. The point is that a backup that looks good briefly and people think is the answer can fall apart quickly. 3 weeks ago everybody said he was better than RG3, now he's holding Colt McCoy's jock. The Devil's advocate would say at least they saw what they had though.
    And this year he has 28 carries for just 10 yards. Maybe the staff will give him 1 more half of football against a rebuilding Pac-12 D in ASU's (I still think Oregon's D is average) before turning to Williams.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter

McCoy > Cousins > RG3