Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Area of concern

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club
We're only averaging 2.8 yards per carry against a dreadful Cal defense. (35 carries for 99 yards)

Comments

• WedgwoodDawgWedgwoodDawg Member Posts: 184
    Doesn't college factor in QB sacks against the running game?
  • FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    yes, sacks go against the running yardage, specifically against that of the QB
  • WedgwoodDawgWedgwoodDawg Member Posts: 184
    DJ are you factoring total yards rushing or RB yards? I though the running game looked decent today. Of course I am SQC hammered right now.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    The running game isn't very good. When is the last time a RB had a 20+ yard run?
  • VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    Defense and 5-1.

Each week I'm seeing some improvement, but it's hard to get run production out of a shitty line and just serviceable RB's. Next year loom for some Freshman in the starting roles. This year we can only hope the team gets better each week and we get to a bowl game. It is what it is.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    Teams are loading the box and daring Miles to beat them (obviously). I thought Washington had a better game today. If Miles keeps playing decent it'll open things up.
  • The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521
    The offense:
    Scored 6 points against the Pac-12's best defense.
    Scored 24 points against the Pac-12's worst defense, including 10 pts off short field given by the D.

So yeah, even if I saw improvement today, and there is more room for improvement during the season, this is where we stand. A mediocre offense which is gonna need the defense to show up like today to win the other conference games.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Cal's been decent against the run all year today ...

Running sets up the pass ... all is good in the UW world right now.

Fuck the idiots (read LPT) that thought that that Cal would carve our asses up.

Thanks Vegas ... EASY MONEY!!!
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,083
    I'd like to see Miles run more by design to relieve some pressure on the throwing game, when he scrambles he seems to lose more yards than he gains.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club
    biak1 said:

I'd like to see Miles run more by design to relieve some pressure on the throwing game, when he scrambles he seems to lose more yards than he gains.

As soon as he takes off with throwing as still an option, I feel very uneasy.
  • VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    Our defense will have to hold the opposition in check and give the offense a chance against the better teams. I too hope the offense under Miles improves some, but I think our season record is on the back of the defense.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Vegasdawg said:

Our defense will have to hold the opposition in check and give the offense a chance against the better teams. I too hope the offense under Miles improves some, but I think our season record is on the back of the defense.

And special teams ... but in total ... fucking this.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Coleman and DW went 26 for 116. Not great but good against a team that is half decent against the run.

Pac12 stats against the run show Utah, Stanford, UW, Arizona, Cal, Oregon as the top 6. After next week, there are 6 games left and only 1 of those teams has a rush defense in the top half of the conference. Getting Riva back might also help the run game.

I agree with VegasDawg…the defense will have to stand up against the best offenses.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    Seems like most everyone sees this the way I do. The running game is OK. Just OK though. Overall the offense is just not real good. Mediocre I guess. There really aren't any playmakers on it outside of Ross. Both RBs have some nice features, but have something missing from their game and seem to come up a yard or two short on plays that Polk and Sankey (and plenty of other complete RBs) always got the extra yard. Mickens is just decently quick and very unphysical, Campbell is slow as mud as is K. Williams. I like the receiving talent at TE and we're going to see some big plays from Perkins and Daniels over the course of the season. Someone needs to pick it up outside and Miley needs to stop retreating and taking an extra 8 yard loss every time a blitz gets home up the middle.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    I would like to see them work more on the zone read and option plays. I have much more confidence in that right now than putting it on the QB's shoulders and making him throw. Cal's defense sucks, so I'm not reading much into Miley's performance.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    I'm starting to think Peterman was a good hire.

If we are worried, he sees it and is game planning.

For the first time in years I am looking forward to seeing how we stack up against Oregon.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    topdawgnc said:

For the first time in years I am looking forward to seeing how we stack up against Oregon.

Oregon seems to have gotten healthy on UCLA, we might be catching them at the wrong time.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

topdawgnc said:

Oregon seems to have gotten healthy on UCLA, we might be catching them at the wrong time.
    Disagree. They'll be overconfident.