Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hey Sark, Thanks for this Premiere Stable of QBs you Developed Here

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

This is Washington, damnit.

That attitude hasn't been valid for 14 years. HTH.
    WARBTPO.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Derek - I was with you until you said "this will be the last article I write critizing him." What else are we going to talk about when things get slow?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,364 Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Derek - I was with you until you said "this will be the last article I write critizing him." What else are we going to talk about when things get slow?

Like Charlie Parker I will improvise. I'm getting tired of hearing myself complain about Sark, even though it's accurate.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I'm surprised that you are surprised that in any way, shape, or form I'm comparing the Hawaii defense to the Stanford defense.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

To newcomers to our board, NYBE is Half Brain speak for "not your best effort"

Also for our new friends, please send a private message to @IrishDawg22‌, as he has this board dialed in.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

Baseman said:

Like Charlie Parker I will improvise. I'm getting tired of hearing myself complain about Sark, even though it's accurate.
    When is the book coming out?

Not a shot at you at all. Seriously, any plans on a book about the Sark era, or is it still too soon?
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

At least in the Hawaii game Lindquist gave you 1 half of play where not only could you see that he had the ability to be competent before the 2nd half started and the inexperience took over. If Miles gave you 1 half of competent football yesterday we're sitting here talking about a win yesterday.

Miles could have easily put together one half of quality play against the Hawaii Fucking Rainbows.

Lindquist wouldn't have given one quality drive against Stanford.

Completely irrelevant comparison.
    How many competent drives did Miles have yesterday? That's what I thought.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

At least in the Hawaii game Lindquist gave you 1 half of play where not only could you see that he had the ability to be competent before the 2nd half started and the inexperience took over. If Miles gave you 1 half of competent football yesterday we're sitting here talking about a win yesterday.

Miles could have easily put together one half of quality play against the Hawaii Fucking Rainbows.

Lindquist wouldn't have given one quality drive against Stanford.

Completely irrelevant comparison.
    How many competent drives did Miles have yesterday? That's what I thought.
    One, at best.

But if you can't see UW with Miles scores way more points at Hawaii than UW with Lindquist I can't help you. And UW with Lindy doesn't score anymore points on Stanford than with Miles, and quite possibly less.
    My guess is that Miles will get the next 2 games to show that he either is or isn't the answer. I don't see him making a big enough leap forward to beat Oregon (although Casey Paus did back in the day so I guess anything is possible).

I would expect that Lindquist gets the nod if/when Miles proves he isn't the answer.

As soon as Petersen goes to Williams, he's pretty much going to lose both Miles and Lindquist.

Biggest problem with all of the above is that finding offensive leadership this year is going to be a massive struggle.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    edited September 2014
    I find a lot of people trying to state their case based on what's on the team, which inevitably causes the two camps to rally between our OL/WR/RB talent. Some blame the people around the QB, the others do not and place most of the blame on the QB. Obviously competition is part of the argument, but he hasn't even gone on the road yet. What happens on the road in the pac12?

If people can step aside for a second and watch a days worth of college football(which we all do), then come back to Miles you see a QB that couldn't start on pretty much any team on TV based on the eye test. He lacks decision making, arm, pocket presence, game/clock mgt, mechanics and something outside the eye test(leadership). I have watched a lot of college football this year and I can't think of a QB i've watched that looks more rattled, less comfortable in the pocket, or has a worse arm than Miles. I regularly see him throw balls top end HS QB's would be embarrassed to throw. On the positive side i do see him make the occasional throw which gives me a glimmer of hope. It's too bad for a 3rd year player he's so incredibly behind what I would expect for his recognition.

I likened him during the game to the guy you play on madden or Ncaa football who snaps the ball and tries to run outside the pocket and then make a decision where to throw the ball. Timing and presnap decision making defines the QB. I believe it's been stated 80% of a qb's decisions happen presnap. You CAN NOT rely on getting outside the pocket in the pac12 and regularly make decisions after the snap. .

My biggest concern with Miles is his inability to recognize defenses and properly go through a progression. His arm is something which could be hidden if he makes proper reads and releases the ball on time. Sadly, Miles is regularly late even when he finally does recognize a route. I do not see miles succeeding here only b/c he's in his 3rd year and would not be playing if we had any semblance of a QB on the roster. If you can't recognize defenses or be comfortable in the pocket by your 3rd year...............Guys are gonna be rattled, but not 85% of plays.

The only saving hope I have for Cyler is that part of this is peterman and smiths fault based on playcalling and pounding in that he be mistake free. Maybe he's playing scared. He's so incredibly scared to throw an INT he can't pull the trigger. The turn over mantra sounds to me as if someone is trying to paint lipstick on a pig. We don't have a QB who can throw it downfield and won't stay in the pocket so we're stuck trying to cover it up. I personally don't buy it b/c he should still be able to make progressions and make reads presnap more than 10 or 15% of the time.

As many of you have said though, how bad are our options if the current form of cyler is the best we have on the roster?
    If you have a QB that is capable of making big time throws to the point that you know you'll get some turnovers once in a while, you focus more on teaching them the when/where of when to push the envelope versus when to dial it back. QBs like Brees, Favre, Marino, etc. made/make plenty of mistakes pushing the football but they also are some of the most successful QBs because they are willing to make throws that so many are afraid to.

Given how Miles is playing, he can't make turnovers. The only reason we had a chance to win the game yesterday was because he didn't make any turnovers.

I don't care if a QB wants to live outside the pocket and scramble provided they can make plays when they do so. Miles doesn't run fast enough or with enough conviction to create explosive plays on the scramble. It'd be ok if he scrambled if he was an accurate thrower on the run - but he's less accruate when he is on the move because of his terrible mechanics. There was a throw where he scrambled, approached the line of scrimmage, forced the Stanford DB to respect his ability to run leaving a wide open WR on the sideline and he airmailed the throw by 10 feet.

The play calling can always improve almost regardless of the team and situation. It's easy to second guess it. But we know that Petersen knows what he is doing. His track record suggests as much. For the most part, in games against the best competition, his reliance on trick plays has been by far the exception and not the rule. So if you are seeing vanilla game plans, vanilla play calls, and calling terrible fake punts at the wrong time and wrong place, that's about as glowing of an indictment on what he thinks about the QB position and his ability to lead.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited September 2014
    Tequilla said:

And? What the fuck is your point? Come on Tequilla. Casey Paus played a good half against Oregon too. At least in the Eastern and Illinois games Miley played fairly well and wasn't a reason we almost lost. Miles has a much better track record of playing competent football than Lindquist. This is now the second coaching staff that prefers Miles to Lindquist. There is a huge difference between Stanford and Hawaii.

Tequilla said:

And? Miles has a much better track record of playing competent football than Lindquist. This is now the second coaching staff that prefers Miles to Lindquist.
    I don't envy Petersen at all right now.

Personally, I was 100% wrong about Miles. Where I thought that he'd show growth year over year and embrace the opportunity he's proving on the field that he's not in a position to play at this level.

I don't disagree that Lindquist has his own warts. I do believe that he'll get the next crack at things before Williams does. Because once you go to Williams, you've lost both Miles and Lindquist.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223

Tequilla said:

And? What the fuck is your point? Come on Tequilla. Casey Paus played a good half against Oregon too. At least in the Eastern and Illinois games Miley played fairly well and wasn't a reason we almost lost. Miles has a much better track record of playing competent football than Lindquist. This is now the second coaching staff that prefers Miles to Lindquist. There is a huge difference between Stanford and Hawaii.
    Are we arguing that miles is better than lidy, or that miles should be a pac12 starting qb right now? I agree with you on the former, and not the latter. At this point of his career, miles is nowhere near a pac12 starter. Maybe the developed version could be, but he's nowhere near that level today. Unfortunately we don't have a better option
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    You don't like who Sark left Peterman at QB yet fail to acknowledge the empty cupboard Owen left Sark... agenda?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

This whole thread is Tequilla Long, Don't Read now.

Or we could try and get to 11, 298 posts by responding in one liners all day.
    Quantity is quality.

Learn how to deal with 21st century attention spans.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Anyone suggesting lindquist should start if miles has another bad game.

Gasoline. Match. Lite on fire. Eod