Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hey Sark, Thanks for this Premiere Stable of QBs you Developed Here

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageHey Sark, Thanks for this Premiere Stable of QBs you Developed Here

Derek Johnson assesses the woeful situation of Washington's quarterback position.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Giving up on Karta-Samules already?
  • Options
    SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 918
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Definitely nybe.....

Shouldn't speculate on Williams. No one has any clue about him when the lights come on
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    To newcomers to our board, NYBE is Half Brain speak for "not your best effort"
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Miles shows obvious flaws in the on-field decision making aspects of the QB position - notably his inability to throw the ball in the intermediate passing game and inability to burn obvious blitzes because the defense is daring them to do so. You can grow as a QB in those areas. But what we saw yesterday was that Miles is seemingly lacking in the leadership aspects of the QB position - and that's not something that you really grow in over time. Basic leadership is something that you innately either have or don't have. And if you don't have it at the QB position, you really can't play the position at a high level regardless of your physical tools because at the end of the day, a QB is judged first and foremost on winning the biggest of games and you can't win those games if you can't lead. We saw a warning glimpse about this last week against Georgia St and speaking for myself, I probably glossed over those warning comments more than I should have. The optimistic side of me tried to look at it as a learning experience. But yesterday was the proof.

Lindquist honestly has shown all that he needed to show at Hawaii. Fair or unfair you often get 1 game to prove whether or not you have it or not at that position. Ask Nick Montana. More often than not, your initial impression is the final impression.

We don't know enough about Williams at this point. I expect that we'll know between now and the end of the season where he stands from the standpoint of being in the future picture.

The initial impressions on Miles were encouraging ... but at the same time, there wasn't pressure on him. He wasn't expected to be the leader of the team - Price was. He came into a no lose situation in the UCLA game and could cut it loose without any problem. Against Oregon St, our ability to run the ball allowed him to make throws that he's capable of making. His strengths were therefore able to be magnified and his weaknesses hidden. Over a single game here and there, you can get away with that. Over the course of a season, film of your weaknesses begins to emerge and if you can't turn your weaknesses into a strength, you've got huge problems.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,940
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    To be blunt, Miles has the look of someone who smoked a few blunts pregame (hee hee). He has that look often. This is Washington, damnit. You come here to qb, then you expect to make the NFL in a few years.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I still think it's premature to write Williams off completely, but the fact that he's 3rd in this dreck line is not encouraging. The fact that Vandy was our main competition for KJCS isn't super inspiring either. Hopefully Cam Newton 2.0 is at a JC wanting to come to UW. With our QB luck, it'll probably just be Sark 2.0.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

This is Washington, damnit.

That attitude hasn't been valid for 20 years. HTH.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,142
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    "no freshman just comes in and stars at the QB position without time to grow and learn the offense" but Troy Williams is already a bust? I know he redshirted, but come on, guy.
  • Options
    As a TCU superiority guy, what I saw yesterday with Miles reminded me a lot of what I saw with TCU the last two years with Trevone Boykin having to come in and QB due to season ending injuries/suspensions to the starter.

Many have cited TCU's move to the Big 12 for their step backwards. The biggest problem has been the QB position as Boykin was in no way ready to be a starting QB in that kind of league and as a result the team took a lot of lumps losing games by 1 score ... games like 20-17 at Oklahoma, 3 point loss to Baylor, etc. It's been the exception that TCU has been out of any game in the Big 12 ...

Without a major leap by Miles, or handing the job over to Williams at some point and him running with it, we're watching a team where we're going to have a lot of defensive football games where our success starts/ends with the OL's ability to make the RBs look good. It will be a very, very long year for most of the WRs.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,636
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I had this same thought today about sark jumping ship..he wanted the sc job.for sure but didn't think twice knowing what he had on deck at uw....the Qb position looks disastrous and the wr talent minus Ross who hardly plays on offense there is little to scare a defense...
  • Options
    Not saying that we don't have options at the WR position, but the pieces don't seem to work well together.

Both Mickens and Ross are relatively undersized WRs that are known more for their speed/quickness than they are their ability to run routes and create separation, particularly in the intermediate passing game. They are either short or long route guys.

Kasen clearly isn't 100%. He lacks top end speed but generally runs sound routes and is a guy that needs to be trusted to out physical his defender. Miles does not show an ability to trust any WR to go make a play for him - which understandably will be found frustrating by Williams.

Campbell is a better blocker than a WR - but has made a few catches this year. He is probably 50% of what Kevin Smith was.

Marvin Hall? Poor version of Mickens/Ross.

Then you think at TE, your best receiving option is Darrell Daniels - who is a converted WR. To utilize your TEs, you have to trust the intermediate passing game.

It's a hot mess right now. Miles is averaging just over 6 yards per attempt ... which really isn't that good.
  • Options
    WDWHAWDWHA Member Posts: 100
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    What's concerning is that Miles looks sloppy in so many areas, not just a few. His feet. His release point which translates to a slow release. Those are things that should have been coached when he first arrived. Those are obvious. The inability to see more than 1/3 of the field at a time comes with playing time when things start to slow down. Same with learned to step up into the pocket instead of running to the sideline.

I'm not sure how it looks on TV, but in person, the number of times he misses open WRs is significant. They can even be within the 1/3 he is seeing.

I think Peterman values not making mistakes over everything else. And I wonder if Miles missed those WRs because it's been beaten into his limited time with Peterman not to take risks. I don't know anything about the fans choice for QB (i.e. whoever Peterman has recruited and will be a frosh next year), but I'm guessing future recruits will fit the model of a certain Prosser QB who was too short/small for college FB vs. so-called athletic QBs.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Despite the supposed circling of the wagons by the team around Miles after yesterday's debacle, when was the last time you saw receivers openly criticizing a Washington QB in the game? The OL is what it is, a collection of players with lots of starts and near zero development. I doubt Peterman will stand for many more experiences like yesterday, we could see Williams start at Cal.

When Peterman was asked about Miles, there was a pause, followed by a remark suggesting that he was not thrilled with his starter. The pause was telling. I give Miles a game grade F, far worse than Lindquist's grade at Hawaii.
  • Options
    At least in the Hawaii game Lindquist gave you 1 half of play where not only could you see that he had the ability to be competent before the 2nd half started and the inexperience took over. If Miles gave you 1 half of competent football yesterday we're sitting here talking about a win yesterday.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Lindy is straight wildcat or a trickfuck sweep cross pass guy