Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Simmons Suspended by EsPN for 3 weeks

FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Not that this shocks anyone, but ESPN has gone so far from any journalistic integrity and merely is a mouth for whatever sports program they have invested. Whether that be the NFL, SEC, DUKE basketball, etc. It's a joke that someone actually said what 80% of americans think in calling out gooddell and he gets suspended for more time than Ray Rice.

deadspin.com/espn-suspends-bill-simmons-three-weeks-over-goodell-cri-1638842937

Comments

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Great hypocrisy by ESPN, as always.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Simmons is one of the few people on ESPN worth a damn. 99% of everyone else is just wasting oxygen.

So you don't suspend the cunt who tries to report of some dudes shower habits because he is gay yet you suspend a guy for saying what everyone else is thinking?

Bristol really needs a nuke.

What about his fridge habits?
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
    I'm not saying ESPN is right but they are partners with the NFL. If Simmons wants to rip Goodell with no consequences he should stop cashin them checks.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't blame Simmons for anything he said ... also don't blame ESPN for what they did because they have to protect their interests ($$$)

However, Simmons DID dare for ESPN management to do something and they did. He also said that if they did he'd respond in kind ... still waiting on that.

If Simmons is what he says he is, then he needs to act accordingly now. If he just sits back and accepts his suspension in quiet, then he'll lose a lot of respect IMO.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Simmons sucks. He can get nuked with the rest of ESPN. He's Rick Reilly part 2.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Not even close. Try again.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2014

Current Simmons sucks and has for a few years. If it was 2004, then yes, he was very good. Riley was too at one point too. Both of them are terrible on tv. Once they went to tv, both of their writing went to shit. They are both extremely arrogant. Both are whiny cunts. Both got worse as their popularity increased. They have some similarities. From the past five years, I'll give Simmons credit for his part in creating 30 for 30. Other than that, he's worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKynBzWpsrY
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Current Simmons sucks and has for a few years. If it was 2004, then yes, he was very good. Riley was too at one point too. Both of them are terrible on tv. Once they went to tv, both of their writing went to shit. They are both extremely arrogant. Both are whiny cunts. Both got worse as their popularity increased. They have some similarities. From the past five years, I'll give Simmons credit for his part in creating 30 for 30. Other than that, he's worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKynBzWpsrY
    Hipster.
  • Options
    I agree partially with roaddawg. Once all these guys try and expand their brand various parts suffer. For simmons, once he started writing, pod casting, running grantland, doing tv, etc his writing went to shit. It went from being entertaining to being like his 4th job(and it shows). He'll toss out the occasional gem still, but I rarely read his work anymore b/c it's not great quality.

I do think that simmons is still a good enough personality for podcasting and writing, but he still doesn't have the personality for TV. Reilly never did either.

I disagree with the whole partners with the NFL. ESPN is supposed to be a journalistic website. Yes, they bought the rights for the nfl, but didn't release any ability to critique it throughout the company. That's where ESPN has gone off the rails. They no longer have a voice. They are the mouthpiece of whatever rights they purchase, and then shove it down everyone's throats. ESPN should still allow their anchors and writers to discuss sports. If simmons worked FOR the NFL, then i understand it. But he doesn't
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I agree partially with roaddawg. Once all these guys try and expand their brand various parts suffer. For simmons, once he started writing, pod casting, running grantland, doing tv, etc his writing went to shit. It went from being entertaining to being like his 4th job(and it shows). He'll toss out the occasional gem still, but I rarely read his work anymore b/c it's not great quality.

I do think that simmons is still a good enough personality for podcasting and writing, but he still doesn't have the personality for TV. Reilly never did either.

I disagree with the whole partners with the NFL. ESPN is supposed to be a journalistic website. Yes, they bought the rights for the nfl, but didn't release any ability to critique it throughout the company. That's where ESPN has gone off the rails. They no longer have a voice. They are the mouthpiece of whatever rights they purchase, and then shove it down everyone's throats. ESPN should still allow their anchors and writers to discuss sports. If simmons worked FOR the NFL, then i understand it. But he doesn't

ESPN isn't journalism.

HTH
  • Options

ESPN isn't journalism.

HTH
    It used to be about journalism. It isn't anymore
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Nobody got worse when they went to TV than Rome. Rome's radio show used to be fucking gold but he's god awful on TV. He still has his moments, but I remember sitting in the back of the class in high school in like '98 with one earphone in trying to hold it together.
  • Options

Nobody got worse when they went to TV than Rome. Rome's radio show used to be fucking gold but he's god awful on TV. He still has his moments, but I remember sitting in the back of the class in high school in like '98 with one earphone in trying to hold it together.

He still has a radio show?
  • Options

He still has a radio show?

Yeah, it's gone downhill a bit, but what do you expect after like 25 years. Still has the best drops on radio though. The "blocked" and "struggggliiing" drops are all timers, it's always been one of the show's strengths and that hasn't changed.
  • Options

The other great part about Rome is his understanding that callers suck and are only to be used as props to mock and abuse

Call in radio guy is very similar to message board posting guy......well, at least i've never called a radio show
  • Options

The other great part about Rome is his understanding that callers suck and are only to be used as props to mock and abuse

He has no problem letting them know that they are ruining his show.