Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is Petersen the perfect coach for Washington?

13»

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    I'll take it that you originally meant it as a whoosh towards those who just want to beat Oregon rather than win the Pac-12 and we can leave it at that.
    dnc said:

HFNY said:

Haha, care to elaborate? Who cares if we beat Oregon and go 5-4 in conference? Wouldn't you rather go 8-1? I just want to win the Pac-12 North and of course beating Oregon would really help but I'd rather lose to Oregon and win the Pac-12 North than beat them and finish 2nd or 3rd in the North.

This is again assuming you weren't trying to whoosh in your original post...

dnc said:

HFNY said:

This has to be whoosh, right? I'd much rather lose to Oregon and go 12-1 since we'd still have a shot to win the Pac-12 (Oregon usually Coug's it and gets manhandled by Stanford or drops a game on the road before their skill guys cry croc tears on the sidelines).

dnc said:

whlinder said:

It depends if he wins a Rose Bowl sooner rather than the 5 year plan.

What's the Rose Bowl equivalent now? Win the Pac-12? Win a New Years bowl from the big 6 or however many bowls there are? Make the playoff?
    Beat Oregon nothing else matters.

You're the worst kind of Husky fan.
    Might want to lurk awhile, shoot IrishDawg a PM, yadda yadda yadda

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    HFNY said:

I'll take it that you originally meant it as a whoosh towards those who just want to beat Oregon rather than win the Pac-12 and we can leave it at that.

dnc said:

HFNY said:

Haha, care to elaborate? Who cares if we beat Oregon and go 5-4 in conference? Wouldn't you rather go 8-1? I just want to win the Pac-12 North and of course beating Oregon would really help but I'd rather lose to Oregon and win the Pac-12 North than beat them and finish 2nd or 3rd in the North.

dnc said:

HFNY said:

This has to be whoosh, right? I'd much rather lose to Oregon and go 12-1 since we'd still have a shot to win the Pac-12 (Oregon usually Coug's it and gets manhandled by Stanford or drops a game on the road before their skill guys cry croc tears on the sidelines).

dnc said:

whlinder said:

What's the Rose Bowl equivalent now? Win the Pac-12? Win a New Years bowl from the big 6 or however many bowls there are? Make the playoff?

Might want to lurk awhile, shoot IrishDawg a PM, yadda yadda yadda

Kudos

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

That's great that you think UW is such a great university.

UW and UO are more alike than UW and Berkeley or UW and UCLA or UW and any other school except WSU.

HTH.
    Tequilla said:

That's a great post ...

I don't think that upper campus is as against football success as others want to believe ... but at the same time, I absolutely do think that they want to win "the right way." Most of the power brokers look at the UW as a world class institution (and rightfully so) and they don't want the football program to be full of thugs and messing up that image. It's far better when the program is full of good kids that keep their name out of the police blotter.

Thinking back how everything went down with (praise be to) PatHadenFS thinking he pulled the wool over our eyes by taking Sark, the thing that never gets talked about enough in my mind is how Pool Boy never publicly worked hard to try to get him. In fact, what came out publicly right after the firing was Pool Boy telling the team that it was his job to go get them a CHAMPIONSHIP level coach. Behind the scenes, there's been a lot of (alleged) feelings that the Athletic Dept (and I'm assuming as a by product upper campus) was getting very tired of Sark's act of having to cover up his indiscretions, used car salesman tactics, and in general keeping him from making the school look like an ass.

Pool Boy used to be a strong spokesperson where you saw him in the news all the time talking about the football program, etc. Now? Haven't really heard much from him at all since Petersen's been here. It's as if he's comfortable with the fact that he has a grown up in charge of the program that he can just turn the keys over to and know that his vision and values match those of the University of Washington and as a result, he can go back to his cabana and get some R&R in.

The other thing though that was missing from the post though was that it was Petersen who pursued this job as much as anything else. Pool Boy (probably rightfully so) didn't even think about Petersen given the number of jobs that he had turned down. The perception was always that Petersen was never going to leave Boise. But in listening to Petersen talk, it seems quite clear to me that THIS was the job that he wanted because he knew it had the perfect mix of expectations combined with values of any job that he could have (save for maybe a place like Stanford).

In the end, we're lucky that we have Petersen as our coach and absolutely agree with the notion that there's a greater than 81% chance that this will be his last job in college football.

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    HFNY said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

dnc said:

whlinder said:

You almost lost to Hawaii and EWU. You aren't winning the PAC 12 North. Get some perspective. Your focus should be on winning the Apple Cup.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

You need to be willing to sell the soul of your university and piss off the academics if you want to become a big time program.

Stanford disagrees
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

You almost lost to Hawaii and EWU. You aren't winning the PAC 12 North. Get some perspective. Your focus should be on winning the Apple Cup.

If we beat Stanford and whOregon (LOL!), we'll win the Pac-12 North.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,520 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

UW and UO are more alike than UW and Berkeley or UW and UCLA or UW and any other school except WSU.

HTH.

Tequilla said:

That's a great post ...

I don't think that upper campus is as against football success as others want to believe ... but at the same time, I absolutely do think that they want to win "the right way." Most of the power brokers look at the UW as a world class institution (and rightfully so) and they don't want the football program to be full of thugs and messing up that image. It's far better when the program is full of good kids that keep their name out of the police blotter.

Thinking back how everything went down with (praise be to) PatHadenFS thinking he pulled the wool over our eyes by taking Sark, the thing that never gets talked about enough in my mind is how Pool Boy never publicly worked hard to try to get him. In fact, what came out publicly right after the firing was Pool Boy telling the team that it was his job to go get them a CHAMPIONSHIP level coach. Behind the scenes, there's been a lot of (alleged) feelings that the Athletic Dept (and I'm assuming as a by product upper campus) was getting very tired of Sark's act of having to cover up his indiscretions, used car salesman tactics, and in general keeping him from making the school look like an ass.

Pool Boy used to be a strong spokesperson where you saw him in the news all the time talking about the football program, etc. Now? Haven't really heard much from him at all since Petersen's been here. It's as if he's comfortable with the fact that he has a grown up in charge of the program that he can just turn the keys over to and know that his vision and values match those of the University of Washington and as a result, he can go back to his cabana and get some R&R in.

The other thing though that was missing from the post though was that it was Petersen who pursued this job as much as anything else. Pool Boy (probably rightfully so) didn't even think about Petersen given the number of jobs that he had turned down. The perception was always that Petersen was never going to leave Boise. But in listening to Petersen talk, it seems quite clear to me that THIS was the job that he wanted because he knew it had the perfect mix of expectations combined with values of any job that he could have (save for maybe a place like Stanford).

In the end, we're lucky that we have Petersen as our coach and absolutely agree with the notion that there's a greater than 81% chance that this will be his last job in college football.

You're really Quooking it up now. Arizona > Oregon
  • 79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 713 Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

The rose bowl is still the fucking rose bowl. Don't act like Oregon players
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,959
    edited September 2014

AZDuck said:

HTH.

Tequilla said:

That's a great post ...

You're really Quooking it up now. Arizona > Oregon
    wouldn't go that far. the zona schools are straight dreck. Oregon is really right in the middle of the pack academically between two pretty clearly separate groups in the old pac 10: furd, cal, ucla uw on the one and wsu, osu and the zonas on the other. colo and utah are kinda in the middle there with oregon.

it ain't sayin' much but it's what they got.

and on undergraduate admission stats, which is the proxy for a school's selectivity and what most of us mean when use the imprecise term "academics", he's actually kinda right: uw is closer to oregon than they are to that upper group when it comes to admission numbers, though no question uw's numbers are better than oregon's. uw admission % this year was back up in the low 70% after dropping to the mid 50s for a while during that demographic crunch. to put that in perspective, Cal is at like 17% and Furd is like 6%, and Cal gets close to 100K applications, as does UCLA, which of course is what helps drive that low % but it also gets them insanely high test score and GPA numbers.