Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Who has looked the best in the first 2 scrimmages so far?

A lot of "this player has looked bad" so far so I thought it would be nice to acknowledge who has been tearing it up so far.

Defense: Danny Shelton - Looks nearly unstoppable at times. Conditioning was always his big issue, he stays on the field for a lot more snaps now and it clearly shows. 25 tackles and 6 sacks in 2 games. Not much more needs to be said.

Marcus Peters - When he isn't doing his best Sark impression on the sidelines he has been a monster. Sticks to guys like glue.

Offense: John Ross - SoDawgFS says he looks worse this year. 3 touchdowns on 6 touches total seems pretty good to me. Sark would try and force the ball to him last year and it usually ended up in only a couple yards. I think Petersen has used him extremely well so far and given him the ball when you forgot about him. I hope his touches go up but I am not going to argue with how effectively Petersen has used him thus far.

O Line in general - I haven't really honed in on specific players but they seem to be much less tissue paper like so far.

Lavon Coleman - Really like this guy at RB and his style of running. Admittedly I am on the "I don't get the DW hype" bandwagon but I think over the season Coleman will clearly be the #1 RB with Dwayne being the complimenting back.

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    34 for 196 >>> 22 for 73
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    When Kikaha hasn't been dropped in coverage he has been a beast. Mickens seems to have learned how to catch.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    I think Timu and Shaq have been good so far. Of course, there are opportunities for improvement.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    edited September 2014
    DEFENSE

Kikaha (When Rushing)
    Shelton
    Peters (Minus Tantrum)

OFFENSE

Ross
    Coleman

Everyone else hasn't looked good for a two games in a row at least. Cyler and Shaq looked about like you would expect last week.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,921 Founders Club
    I really like Coleman. I'm hearing he lacks breakaway speed (not as important as some make it out to be and it's too early to say anyways), but he shows good vision in picking out holes and hitting them hard. It will be interesting to watch his development, and I agree with you that he will become the #1 back. Gotta see how he plays over the course of a season, though.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Coleman looks great so far. He's definitely the #1 back right now. He's more of a natural back than Washington. I still think Washington can be a huge asset as the #2 back. That was a big time run he had for a TD in the second half. Hopefully he can keep developing his field vision and awareness. If he can, he will be great. If he can't, he will be just a specimen. Either way, it will be interesting. Between Cyler, the two main RB's, and the OL, our rushing attack can do some serious damage.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    Guys I'm bullish on besides those mentioned:

-Darrell Daniels: yes only 3 catches for 25 yards but I think he'll get more targets as the season goes on.

-Cam Van Winkle: Coons was so solid and Van Winkle hasn't looked shaky as a newbie (2-2 on FGs so far).

-Sidney Jones: school of hard knocks for him but he gave a knock himself (FF on a kickoff) and despite being a true frosh, I've seen worse coverage in past years from upperclassmen. I think he has a bright future and as a lower rated 3 star, he's probably playing better than a higher rated 4 star who is a year older (Kelly).

New coaching impact I love: no turnovers and only 1 sack given up. After two games last year (albeit against BSU and @Illinois), we had 3 turnovers and 3 sacks given up.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    HFNY said:

-Darrell Daniels: yes only 3 catches for 25 yards but I think he'll get more targets as the season goes on.

-Cam Van Winkle: Coons was so solid and Van Winkle hasn't looked shaky as a newbie (2-2 on FGs so far).

-Sidney Jones: school of hard knocks for him but he gave a knock himself (FF on a kickoff) and despite being a true frosh, I've seen worse coverage in past years from upperclassmen. I think he has a bright future and as a lower rated 3 star, he's probably playing better than a higher rated 4 star who is a year older (Kelly).

New coaching impact I love: no turnovers and only 1 sack given up. After two games last year (albeit against BSU and @Illinois), we had 3 turnovers and 3 sacks given up.

Is CVW doing kickoffs too? I think we've been getting better kickoffs so far, a couple touchbacks.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

HFNY said:

Is CVW doing kickoffs too? I think we've been getting better kickoffs so far, a couple touchbacks.
    Vizcaino is handling kickoffs and has a pretty good leg.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    Abundance.

HFNY said:

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    HFNY said:

Downvoted for calling out Van Winkle when he missed a fucking extra point ... could have been the fucking ball game with the way that game was going.

Agree on DD as well ... his hands are looking to be pretty good and he's a physical freak at that position ... love seeing him get the ball in space on play action passes. Lots of upside for him in abundance.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Hawaii and Eastern Washington looked the best.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    edited September 2014
    Thompson played great against EWU. Didn't fully appreciate it until I watched again on the DVR. Guy was everywhere.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    The RT on Shaq's TD run absolutely pancaked his guy and talked mess to him after. Beautiful.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Gladstone said:

The RT on Shaq's TD run absolutely pancaked his guy and talked mess to him after. Beautiful.

The blocking on that play was text book.
  • Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    mikkkkkkkens blows goats
  • kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596

HFNY said:

But how are his hips?
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    I'm still on the DW bandwagon, dude is a homerun threat.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,905 Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Where I come from, we call that abundance.