Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Now I get it

After reading and thinking about this all day I think I understand what is happening with the program:

This team was not ready to play games that count because Petersen is still installing his system.

He has been saying from day one that he was going to change everything.

He has said over and over again that he feels behind, and that this is going to take time.

We have heard that the coaches were surprised by what these players didn't know and that he is still learning about these players.

He said after the game that learning the system is more important that short term results, and that life lessons are more important than winning. (Benching Miles and Peters)

The guy doing the broadcast said we were still installing our playbook. Eastern says we looked vanilla on defense.

We have heard repeatedly that these coaches focus on technique, and are practically re-teaching these kids football fundamentals.

And the Boise system was based on multiple sets and perfect execution. It's complicated.

We all expected an instant upgrade, but that is not what Chris Petersen is all about, we - including me- just weren't listening.

I am guessing that we will continue to see improvement and growing pains. I am hoping that Petersen will have the team fully prepared in time for Stanford.

And as of right now I am still saying 11-2.

And I am still very glad Chris Petersen is our coach.

Comments

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    You're a quick one...
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,209
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    We are lucky Aubs even posts here.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sorry Aubs, this isn't quite fair to post, but it's obligatory for the sake of humor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCBpMs-9hY
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    EWU was a great opponent to play before Illinois because they gave our young secondary a ton of live action before Wes Lunt and a fairly deep receiving core come to town next week. Illinois doesn't appear to run the ball well so at least the Husky Defense has that going for it...that and the D has 10 sacks in the first 2 games .

And after the usual suspects were the top 4 leading tacklers, true freshmen and true sophomores stepped up to make some tackles with Peters on the bench:

# Washington Solo Ast Total Sacks-Yds TFL-Yds FF FR-Yds Int-Yds BrUp Blks QBH
    7 Thompson, Shaq 9 5 14 1.0-7 1.0-7 - - - - - -
    55 Shelton, Danny 8 4 12 4.0-14 4.5-15 - - - - - -
    8 Kikaha, Hau'oli 4 2 6 1.0-6 1.0-6 - - - 1 - -
    1J Timu, John 4 2 6 - - 1 - - 1 - -
    32 Baker, Budda 3 3 6 - - - - - 1 - -
    20 King, Kevin 4 1 5 - - - - - 1 - -
    27 Walker, Trevor 3 0 3 - - - 1-0 - - - -
    26 Jones, Sidney 2 1 3 - - 1

Jermaine Kelly (RS-Frosh) hasn't matched the hype so far but he's only two games into his first year playing and Kevin King (true soph) looks like he has a bright future if he can continue to put on good weight.

Less stupid penalties and Peters playing smart enough to play all 4 quarters will help things next week and it's worth pointing out that the O hasn't turned the ball over, special teams have been solid, and the OL has only given up 1 sack.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm not sure the BSU offense from the "exciting" days is what we are running. That was Harsin I believe. But what do I know, I didn't follow BSU football at all.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Don't know if you're referencing me but I don't think pointing out the positives in a dumpster fire of learning curve for the secondary isn't being a Doog. Petersen is playing whack-a-mole with the problems (namely undisciplined play and a very green secondary) that Sloppy Steve left to him so yes, he needs more time.

I expect another close victory against Illinois, probably something like 39-29. How about you?

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Iron Law #81: Aubs will say dumb shit

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    Forgot to mention one other concern besides the secondary and cleaning up the slop from the previous regime...that Kwiatkowski isn't Wilcox and may be a better DL coach than he is as a DC. Tough to compare however because Kwiatkowski has a green secondary and there's only been two games (though having Littleton on the field as rush OLB / dropping into coverage and Kikaha playing WDE seemed to be more effective than Kikaha at Buck / Rush and Andrew Hudson at DE).

Guess we'll see if there's any changes this next Saturday.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We can talk when KwiatkowskiFS stops dropping Kihaha into coverage.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

It's a scrimmage and Kwiatkowski is experimenting with the defense, seeing what works and what doesn't.

If Kikaha had 2 INTs dropping into coverage, everyone would be going fucking ballistic.

If Kikaha is dropping into coverage when Pac-12 play starts, then yes, we can bitch about Kwiatkowski
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

After reading and thinking about this all day I think I understand what is happening with the program:

This team was not ready to play games that count because Petersen is still installing his system.

He has said over and over again that he feels behind, and that this is going to take time.

We have heard that the coaches were surprised by what these players didn't know and that he is still learning about these players.

He said after the game that learning the system is more important that short term results, and that life lessons are more important than winning. (Benching Miles and Peters)

The guy doing the broadcast said we were still installing our playbook. Eastern says we looked vanilla on defense.

We have heard repeatedly that these coaches focus on technique, and are practically re-teaching these kids football fundamentals.

And the Boise system was based on multiple sets and perfect execution. It's complicated.

We all expected an instant upgrade, but that is not what Chris Petersen is all about, we - including me- just weren't listening.

I am guessing that we will continue to see improvement and growing pains. I am hoping that Petersen will have the team fully prepared in time for Stanford.

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

It's a scrimmage and Kwiatkowski is experimenting with the defense, seeing what works and what doesn't.

If Kikaha had 2 INTs dropping into coverage, everyone would be going fucking ballistic.

If Kikaha is dropping into coverage when Pac-12 play starts, then yes, we can bitch about Kwiatkowski
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much bleating for Peterman. But what the fuck else is there to do during the preseason but bitch about assistants and scheme. Looking at what Saban has done at Bama, the assistants are clearly expendable based on performance.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The dbs should work on the basics of getting off a block. A lot of work needed there.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

This took you all day?

I'm guessing the SATs didn't go too well for you huh?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

This took you all day?

I'm guessing the SATs didn't go too well for you huh?
    You don't have to take the SATs to be one of the @GreenRiverGatorz‌