Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What if the Pick Had Never Happened.

A fun read, which has likely been read by many here.

Found it as DJ had jogged my memory about a great coach, Ground Chuck.

benzduck.com/journal/2013/9/17/what-if-the-pick-had-never-happened.html

Comments

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,549 Founders Club
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Chuck Know was a good coach. His 7-11 playoff record with no Super Bowl appearances prevents him from getting the "great" label.

He also loses points for having PatHaddenFS as his starting QB.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468

John Saunders: You weren’t just coming in and taking over a program that was storied and had stumbled on hard times. You were taking on a program that had stumbled into some scandal. You cleaned ALL of that up, and your reward was to get fired.

Willingham: That’s life, you know, and that’s what I prepared myself for when I took over the job. They say that the microscope is big there. No question about that. But I prepared myself for all of that, and as an African-American coach, your position is somewhat tenuous. There are not a lot of guarantees, as a matter of fact, there are not a lot of coaches getting positions, period, okay, so tenuous may be an understatement.

Saunders: You weren’t given the five years that other coaches got to demonstrate those skills. Do you think it is in part because you’re an African-American?

Willingham: I’ve always said that in this country there is no absence of racism, okay, we’re all aware of that, it’s been here for quite some time, okay. And to think it would NOT factor in may be naive on my part. But the people that really know that answer are the ones that we need to talk to.

Saunders: In my mind, I thought it was handled terribly and I thought what they did was wrong and unfair.

Willingham: Well then the question then becomes, if that is true, what is the responsibility of the individual? If they’re wrong, they have to live with that. But I must handle Tyrone Willingham in the right manner. Regardless of what they do, you are to handle yourself as a true professional, a true man of integrity.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    AZDuck said:

Here's the thing. You can't control what others do, but you can control what YOU do. This applies to football programs as well as individuals.

The Pick was rightfully a big deal. Sometimes teams thrive on emotion and momentum, and that play gave Oregon the momentum to win the Pac-10 for the first time since the Eisenhower Administration, which led people like Phil Knight to take an interest in the program, etc. etc. etc.

UW and its fans need to rise to the occasion. For the better part of a century UW was unchallenged in the Northwest. Now you have a rival, who can and will beat your ass. This will not change. If Helfrich flames out, we will get another coach. The institutional commitment is there (more or less, Rob Mullens is kind of a dickhead, but he isn't REALLY in charge).

People who pine for the days when UW was in its "rightful" place atop the Pac NW are being douchebags. They probably are actual douchebags. You should squeeze their bellies and see if a vinegar-and-water mixture comes out of their mouths.

Just be better than us. It isn't THAT hard. Fucking Alabama has two top ten powers in one inbred state. Surely Oregon and Washington can support two national powers.

Thanks Tequila South
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Chuck Know was a good coach. His 7-11 playoff record with no Super Bowl appearances prevents him from getting the "great" label.

He also loses points for having PatHaddenFS as his starting QB.

Somehow this post is awesome for this thread.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Don't be hurtful
    topdawgnc said:

AZDuck said:

Here's the thing. You can't control what others do, but you can control what YOU do. This applies to football programs as well as individuals.

The Pick was rightfully a big deal. Sometimes teams thrive on emotion and momentum, and that play gave Oregon the momentum to win the Pac-10 for the first time since the Eisenhower Administration, which led people like Phil Knight to take an interest in the program, etc. etc. etc.

UW and its fans need to rise to the occasion. For the better part of a century UW was unchallenged in the Northwest. Now you have a rival, who can and will beat your ass. This will not change. If Helfrich flames out, we will get another coach. The institutional commitment is there (more or less, Rob Mullens is kind of a dickhead, but he isn't REALLY in charge).

People who pine for the days when UW was in its "rightful" place atop the Pac NW are being douchebags. They probably are actual douchebags. You should squeeze their bellies and see if a vinegar-and-water mixture comes out of their mouths.

Just be better than us. It isn't THAT hard. Fucking Alabama has two top ten powers in one inbred state. Surely Oregon and Washington can support two national powers.

Thanks Tequila South
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,549 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

Here's something else: when I was in grade school and middle school, Oregon was just an afterthought. I didn't hate them... people in western Washington honestly didn't care. I remembered James losing them a couple times in that late 80s, and that was annoying, but not much more.

Then the pick happened, but the hate on our end really didn't start until '95 and '96. I'd call it more of a dislike though. I think it ramped up in the early 2000s with Ontario Smith and Joey Hetherington. That also coincided with all the crass commercialization, 467,000 uniforms, and heavy Phil Knight involvement. It is just gotten bigger since then. A number of programs benefited from scholarship reductions in the 90s. off the top of my head the big ones I can think of were Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Wisconsin, Oregon State, and Oregon of course. All of the other programs have basically maintain their success pretty well without the figurative flashing neon billboard. Would Oregon still be a big rival without the hype? Yes, but they would be less annoying.

I totally agree that Washington needs to control what Washington does. They finally seem to be taking football seriously. Finally. On the flip side, if you saw a program come out of nowhere with a billionaire benefactor supporting them and your program had been a top two or three pac-12 program for decades, you no doubt would not like it.

I've said Oregon will not maintain their success. Some of it might be Doog wishful thinking, but just go through college football & name one team that maintains 11-13 win success for more than 4 or maybe five years. FSU? No. Auburn? N. Ohio State? 6-6 in 2011. Texas? ha Bammer? Maybe, but they had really bad years for a long time. It's really hard to maintain. Tgat's why I don't see this success especially with Helfrich lasting gor another five years. TL, DR: I want Husky football to dominate the Northwest again. If that makes me an asshole, call me an asshole on here as much as possible.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Bill... have you noticed all these alternate uniforms, chrome helmets, and that kind of horseshit? They're all copying us. To include the UW.

We may not stay top 5 good but we will stay good. Too much money at stake these days and Phil Knight is very serious about Oregon athletics.

On the plus side for you guys, I still think that you rolled a strike with Peterman.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    AZDuck said:

Bill... have you noticed all these alternate uniforms, chrome helmets, and that kind of horseshit? They're all copying us. To include the UW.

We may not stay top 5 good but we will stay good. Too much money at stake these days and Phil Knight is very serious about Oregon athletics.

On the plus side for you guys, I still think that you rolled a strike with Peterman.

Phil Knight is a fucking genius.

Oregon is a division of his marketing team.

Won't be long before the NFL starts in with the bullshit.

He may have ruined college football ... but he established Nike as THE sports gear company.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,987

AZDuck said:

Here's something else: when I was in grade school and middle school, Oregon was just an afterthought. I didn't hate them... people in western Washington honestly didn't care. I remembered James losing them a couple times in that late 80s, and that was annoying, but not much more.

Then the pick happened, but the hate on our end really didn't start until '95 and '96. I'd call it more of a dislike though. I think it ramped up in the early 2000s with Ontario Smith and Joey Hetherington. That also coincided with all the crass commercialization, 467,000 uniforms, and heavy Phil Knight involvement. It is just gotten bigger since then. A number of programs benefited from scholarship reductions in the 90s. off the top of my head the big ones I can think of were Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Wisconsin, Oregon State, and Oregon of course. All of the other programs have basically maintain their success pretty well without the figurative flashing neon billboard. Would Oregon still be a big rival without the hype? Yes, but they would be less annoying.

I totally agree that Washington needs to control what Washington does. They finally seem to be taking football seriously. Finally. On the flip side, if you saw a program come out of nowhere with a billionaire benefactor supporting them and your program had been a top two or three pac-12 program for decades, you no doubt would not like it.

I've said Oregon will not maintain their success. Some of it might be Doog wishful thinking, but just go through college football & name one team that maintains 11-13 win success for more than 4 or maybe five years. FSU? No. Auburn? N. Ohio State? 6-6 in 2011. Texas? ha Bammer? Maybe, but they had really bad years for a long time. It's really hard to maintain. Tgat's why I don't see this success especially with Helfrich lasting gor another five years. TL, DR: I want Husky football to dominate the Northwest again. If that makes me an asshole, call me an asshole on here as much as possible.
    Uh free shoes finished in the top 5 for 14 straight years at one point. Of course everyone falls but using the noles as an example was ill advised.

The rest of that I'm afraid was as you acknowledged full doogy.

The ducks are not going away. One simple reason: They care about football. And the guy who is set to leave the school a cool billion+ says they continue to do so. That's all that really matters.
  • QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    What if uh C-A-T really spelled dog?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    "We may not stay top 5 good but we will stay good. Too much money at stake these days"
    I remember when I used to think that...
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,953 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

Bring back the leather helmets
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,953 Founders Club
    Fire Marshall didn't start hating Oregon until they got good?

Who knew? SEC SEC SEC