Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A very strange game

I just re-watched the game again with special attention to the defense. My thoughts:

The offense was great. Miles makes an enormous difference. He's not a great passer, but he's good enough. And the rest of the offense looks very potent.

Vernon Adams is fantastic. We will not face a better QB all year.

Our pass coverage was awful. Our young DBs must improve or we are going to continue to get torched.

Even with all that, were it not for a couple of fluke plays we would have pulled away in the 4th quarter and won by 14 to 21 points.

Let's look at each of their scores and determine what happened:

TD 1: A great scramble by Adams and a late hit got them to mid-field. Then Adams made a perfect throw for a 41 yard TD. Kevn King was late getting there.

TD 2.: Another long pass. We blitzed, Adams avoided the hit and made a perfect throw. Kelly got beat 1 on 1, but it was a great throw.

TD 3: 4th and 3. Budda Baker just got torched by Kupp 1 on 1. Another great throw.

TD 4: Adams makes an amazing throw scrambling to left. Beaver and Gardenhire were in the area, but neither committed to the receiver.

FG: We had them stopped on 3rd and 12 but Timu left his man when Adams scrambled and Adams threw it to him. Another great play.

TD 5: Just bad coverage the whole drive. King particularly looked out of position.

TD 6: We had them stopped and Peters' ridiculous penalty lets them off the hook, and then they make an amazing catch on 4th and 3 for the TD.

TD 7: Adams converts on 4th and 12. They catch that deflected pass on another 4th down. King drops a pick in the end zone.

So....yes our DBs were bad. Yes Adams was tremendous. But it took some very unusual plays to make that game that close at the end.

Going forward I feel good about the offense.

I think the run D is OK.

Pass D is a big concern. We knew the young DBs were a big concern. Well, they are a BIG concern.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2014
    Very rarely do I agree with Aubbie, but for the most part I do today. TD#1, we had Adams in our grasp and somehow he escaped and made a huge play on 3rd down. It was almost a 3 and out. The the TD was an incredible throw. On TD#3, Budda dropped a pick/collided with the corner the play before he got burned on 4th down. TD #6, The Peters penalty led to another TD, which was an amazing throw and catch on Sidney Jones who played good coverage. The final TD had a fluky play when Dixon deflected that pass.

Terrible defense, the coaching was suspect, and the secondary was terrible. They should have had 14-21 points less though. Nothing was good, but Eastern was getting lucky on some of those TD's and very few QB's make some of those throws. Adams deserves a lot of credit. We should get better, but the 3 man rush against a QB like Adams is terrible coaching and so is how we use Kikaha. That worries me.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doog. The defense looked like shit. We have some playmakers on the line. Peters is pretty good but 3/4 of our secondary sucks. They couldn't get off blocks on bubble screens vs eastern Washington it's going to look worse when Stanford or a team that actually blocks runs that same shit. We can't get off the field on passing downs and advantageous situations.
    Peterson may figure it out. But it' sure looks like tsifo.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Very rarely do I agree with Aubbie, but for the most part I do today. TD#1, we had Adams in our grasp and somehow he escaped and made a huge play on 3rd down. It was almost a 3 and out. The the TD was an incredible throw. On TD#3, Budda dropped a pick/collided with the corner the play before he got burned on 4th down. TD #6, The Peters penalty led to another TD, which was an amazing throw and catch on Sidney Jones who played good coverage. The final TD had a fluky play when Dixon deflected that pass.

Terrible defense, the coaching was suspect, and the secondary was terrible. They should have had 14-21 points less though. Nothing was good, but Eastern was getting lucky on some of those TD's and very few QB's make some of those throws. Adams deserves a lot of credit. We should get better, but the 3 man rush against a QB like Adams is terrible coaching and so is how we use Kikaha. That worries me.

Fluke plays happen once ...

Two times is a concern

Three times and your defense sucks shit
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I re-watched the game with special attention to the defense. So here is the offense...classic misdirection
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    topdawgnc said:

Fluke plays happen once ...

Two times is a concern

Three times and your defense sucks shit
    The defense sucks shit, there is no doubt. I also think people aren't quite reacting the way they are if it was 59-38. There would be concern without throwing in the towel.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Our secondary sucks at coverage and tackling. They are great in all other phases of the game though.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

If you get to TD 7 and don't delete your post you may be a doog

If you read past "I just re-watched the game again", you might be Section14a Fucking Stupid.
  • Options

Doog
  • Options
    LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Looking at the Pac12 schedule...

This team loses to a better Stanford team @ home...

Goes to Cal and gets a shit-ass win before getting ass-raped @ oregon in eugene with a shit-ass secondary vs the #1 QB in the conference...

After that, home game vs ASU for another ass-pounding secondary beatdown. 50/50 game there only because of ASU wanting to piss that game away.

They get Colorado as a BYE but then UCLA comes to town...Another beatdown on D then they go AT Arizona to have fun with Rich-Rod.

The season ends with Oregon State @ home then a gay trip to Wazzu for a coin-flip after a defeated season...

After all that Peterman is lucky as fuck to get to 5-4.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The kids are young and green ... a number of times they had good position today and didn't do something as simple as turn and look at the ball. They look like they are thinking as much as playing right now and that's partly to be expected ...

Eastern is good at what they do and their QB for the most part played a pretty good game ... sometimes you have to give a little credit.

That being said, there's going to be plenty of examples on film of opportunities for the DBs to make plays and get off the field. We knew that they were going to take their lumps and need to grow up during the course of the season ... they are and they will.

Most important thing that happened today defensively was Peters taking a selfish penalty and Petersen benching his ass as a result. There's a whole lot of Norman Dale in Petersen right now ... I don't have a problem with that at all.
  • Options
    LaZoris said:

Looking at the Pac12 schedule...

This team loses to a better Stanford team @ home...

Goes to Cal and gets a shit-ass win before getting ass-raped @ oregon in eugene with a shit-ass secondary vs the #1 QB in the conference...

After that, home game vs ASU for another ass-pounding secondary beatdown. 50/50 game there only because of ASU wanting to piss that game away.

They get Colorado as a BYE but then UCLA comes to town...Another beatdown on D then they go AT Arizona to have fun with Rich-Rod.

The season ends with Oregon State @ home then a gay trip to Wazzu for a coin-flip after a defeated season...

After all that Peterman is lucky as fuck to get to 5-4.

Fortunately, Stanford isn't a better team this year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

The kids are young and green ... a number of times they had good position today and didn't do something as simple as turn and look at the ball. They look like they are thinking as much as playing right now and that's partly to be expected ...

Eastern is good at what they do and their QB for the most part played a pretty good game ... sometimes you have to give a little credit.

That being said, there's going to be plenty of examples on film of opportunities for the DBs to make plays and get off the field. We knew that they were going to take their lumps and need to grow up during the course of the season ... they are and they will.

Most important thing that happened today defensively was Peters taking a selfish penalty and Petersen benching his ass as a result. There's a whole lot of Norman Dale in Petersen right now ... I don't have a problem with that at all.

This is an understatement. He is a top 10 QB. I don't know his NFL prospects because he is small, but he is a great college QB. I can't remember the last time I saw a QB drop that many pinpoint passes on us. It was terrible defense, but a lot of people here aren't recognizing how good he is (and Kupp) because he plays for Eastern.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Peters situation. It was a soft call, and he was pissed off about how we were playing. He broke up a pass a few plays prior and got really, really fired up and tried to get the defense going. I love Peters' fire, but I also understand Petersen needing to send a message that he won't tolerate throwing tantrums and unnecessary penalties.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The thing with Peters is that it's not trying to limit his fire and drive ... what it is trying to do is send a message to him and his teammates that doing FS things on the field that draw penalties that extend drives fucking kills you in football games.

One of the biggest themes that is in play after 2 games is that the offense has exactly ZERO turnovers at this point. You could argue that the difference in the game today were the 2 turnovers that we created.

But then think about all the opportunities that we gave Eastern today:

Peters penalty to extend a drive - led to a TD

How many dropped INTs that led to TDs?

4th down pass that we got a hand on after a deflection that we deflected right back to the WR for a conversion - led to another TD

One of the biggest things that I'm seeing out of Petersen as he tears this team apart to build them back up is how important the little details of the game are. Having opportunities to get turnovers gets your team off the field and takes away opportunities to give up points ... often it puts you in a great position to score for yourself. However, you let those plays go through your fingertips and they often lead to points for the opposition.

Look at the Stanford/SC game today. Stanford makes a living out of doing the small details better than their opponents. Today they shot themselves in the foot and lost a game that they probably win 81% of the time (or more) given the stat line.

It's one thing if the other team beats you ... but the reason that you're 94-12 as a head coach is because to beat you, you force the other team to actually have to beat you by outplaying you. The biggest criticism so many of us had on Sark was that his teams continually found ways to beat themselves by shooting themselves in the foot, taking stupid penalties, etc. What Peters did today would have barely registered on the radar of Sark from the standpoint of sending a message.

And yes, Eastern's QB played a great game today. He's clearly got a lot of skills and he's got more talent around him than many would care to admit. However, I also saw a guy who when faced with pressure threw a number of balls that a more seasoned secondary would have capitalized on forcing more turnovers off of.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I think you guys have a shot to beat Stanford, Cal could go either way (yeah, weird I know and phrasing), lose to Oregon, lose to ASU, beat Colorado, beat UCLA, Arizona is another toss-up, beat the Beevs and Cuogs.

So... add that to your gimmes against Illinois and GA State-

9-2-2

Other than the ugly product Peterman is putting on the field in the preseason, he is meeting expectations. So chill.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

The thing with Peters is that it's not trying to limit his fire and drive ... what it is trying to do is send a message to him and his teammates that doing FS things on the field that draw penalties that extend drives fucking kills you in football games.

One of the biggest themes that is in play after 2 games is that the offense has exactly ZERO turnovers at this point. You could argue that the difference in the game today were the 2 turnovers that we created.

But then think about all the opportunities that we gave Eastern today:

Peters penalty to extend a drive - led to a TD

How many dropped INTs that led to TDs?

4th down pass that we got a hand on after a deflection that we deflected right back to the WR for a conversion - led to another TD

One of the biggest things that I'm seeing out of Petersen as he tears this team apart to build them back up is how important the little details of the game are. Having opportunities to get turnovers gets your team off the field and takes away opportunities to give up points ... often it puts you in a great position to score for yourself. However, you let those plays go through your fingertips and they often lead to points for the opposition.

Look at the Stanford/SC game today. Stanford makes a living out of doing the small details better than their opponents. Today they shot themselves in the foot and lost a game that they probably win 81% of the time (or more) given the stat line.

It's one thing if the other team beats you ... but the reason that you're 94-12 as a head coach is because to beat you, you force the other team to actually have to beat you by outplaying you. The biggest criticism so many of us had on Sark was that his teams continually found ways to beat themselves by shooting themselves in the foot, taking stupid penalties, etc. What Peters did today would have barely registered on the radar of Sark from the standpoint of sending a message.

And yes, Eastern's QB played a great game today. He's clearly got a lot of skills and he's got more talent around him than many would care to admit. However, I also saw a guy who when faced with pressure threw a number of balls that a more seasoned secondary would have capitalized on forcing more turnovers off of.

Even for you ... this is a lot of words to say ...

A Div 1AA school hung 52 on UW at home and it is bullshit