Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Stewart Mandel Picks UW to win the North

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

HuskyJW said:

Pac-10/12 hasn't been won with a black QB since Rodney Peete.....chances aren't good.

Lindquist is black?
    Most Mercer Islanders are
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I can't believe it hasn't been said but Cal is too high.

Not every redundancy on this bored bears repeating.
    Disagree.
    Disagree

Also
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

HuskyJW said:

Pac-10/12 hasn't been won with a black QB since Rodney Peete.....chances aren't good.

Lindquist is black?
    move him to wr
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2014

HuskyJW said:

Lindquist is black?
    Most Mercer Islanders are
    @allpurpleallgold!!! True??

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Mandel is off this year. He has Utah finishing ahead of ASU in the South. I don't see UW winning hte Pac-12 North this year but would not be surprised at all if UW finished 2nd. Hope I'm wrong though and UW finishes 1st with the new QB and young secondary performing better than I anticipate.

The nice thing is that both Stanford and Oregon's defenses should take at least a small step back this year and their WR corps aren't that deep (so we don't have to put more than 3 CBs on the field often). Ty Montgomery and Devon Cajuste are darn good though.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Mandel is off this year. He has Utah finishing ahead of ASU in the South. I don't see UW winning hte Pac-12 North this year but would not be surprised at all if UW finished 2nd. Hope I'm wrong though and UW finishes 1st with the new QB and young secondary performing better than I anticipate.

The nice thing is that both Stanford and Oregon's defenses should take at least a small step back this year and their WR corps aren't that deep (so we don't have to put more than 3 CBs on the field often). Ty Montgomery and Devon Cajuste are darn good though.

The Utah pick is bold, but it actually makes some sense. ASU lost 9 starters from their defense and one of the returners missed the first week or two because of personal problems. ASU is totally reliant on Taylor Kelly. Arizona could be another team that ends up being pretty bad. They still have issues at QB and Kadeem Carey is in the NFL. Utah had a young team last year and brought in Dave Christensen who was a great OC when he was at Missouri.

Stanford's WR's are pretty good, especially Montgomery. I expect their running game to be significantly worse though. I know have recruited very well on the OL, but losing 4 starters is never good. They lost an 1,800 yard rusher on top of that. Is there passing game going to be enough to offset that? I shouldn't be doubting them after their run, but they seem like a strong candidate to be overrated and their schedule is brutal. Road games against UW, Notre Dame, ASU, Oregon, and UCLA. I doubt any other team in the country plays 5 road games that tough. They lose at least 3 of those.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Utah has been garbage ever since they joined the P12. Even calling it 'bold' is being overly generous.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

Utah has been garbage ever since they joined the P12. Even calling it 'bold' is being overly generous.

They have had 8 years to find a QB to replace Travis Wilson but he is still the starter.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Mandel gets paid to not LIFPO, but anyone with half a brain knows it's way too early to tell how things will shake out. I'm expecting to see improvement with Peterman, but to win the PAC12 North, I think they're going to need help. Slingblade V 2.0 will have to be good for -2 games again, Stanford will have to struggle to reload, and the Huskies will have to end up with the kind of defense that can carry the team while the offense gels. Those things could happen, but who knows. For now, I'm in full on LIFPO mode.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2014

Mandel gets paid to not LIFPO, but anyone with half a brain knows it's way too early to tell how things will shake out. I'm expecting to see improvement with Peterman, but to win the PAC12 North, I think they're going to need help. Slingblade V 2.0 will have to be good for -2 games again, Stanford will have to struggle to reload, and the Huskies will have to end up with the kind of defense that can carry the team while the offense gels. Those things could happen, but who knows. For now, I'm in full on LIFPO mode.

Mandel isn't a pussy.

He has confidence in using analytical skill to form an opinion and doesn't care if he's wrong once in awhile.

Stanford or Oregon can reload and still lose a key game costing them the title.

Don't be afraid to take a stand. Mandel risks his cushy salary every day. What do you risk?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

HFNY said:

The Utah pick is bold, but it actually makes some sense. ASU lost 9 starters from their defense and one of the returners missed the first week or two because of personal problems. ASU is totally reliant on Taylor Kelly. Arizona could be another team that ends up being pretty bad. They still have issues at QB and Kadeem Carey is in the NFL. Utah had a young team last year and brought in Dave Christensen who was a great OC when he was at Missouri.

Stanford's WR's are pretty good, especially Montgomery. I expect their running game to be significantly worse though. I know have recruited very well on the OL, but losing 4 starters is never good. They lost an 1,800 yard rusher on top of that. Is there passing game going to be enough to offset that? I shouldn't be doubting them after their run, but they seem like a strong candidate to be overrated and their schedule is brutal. Road games against UW, Notre Dame, ASU, Oregon, and UCLA. I doubt any other team in the country plays 5 road games that tough. They lose at least 3 of those.
    Utah is terrible and Arizona will be more the team that beat Oregon than the team that got pounded by Sark's 2" of thunder. Check the facts.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Arizona and ASU are better. That's why i said it's bold. Utah hasn't shown anything since joining the PAC 12, but they aren't so bad that they couldn't luck into a 5-4 season and win a tie breaker over ASU or Arizona for third. Maybe the three teams go 4-5. All of the teams will probably be mediocre or suck.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HFNY said:

Utah is terrible and Arizona will be more the team that beat Oregon than the team that got pounded by Sark's 2" of thunder. Check the facts.
    They will be the same 7-8 win team they normally are. WSU beat them in Arizona last year. Check those facts.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

I think Arizona and ASU are better. That's why i said it's bold. Utah hasn't shown anything since joining the PAC 12, but they aren't so bad that they couldn't luck into a 5-4 season and win a tie breaker over ASU or Arizona for third. Maybe the three teams go 4-5. All of the teams will probably be mediocre or suck.

I think it's beyond KGFS to think a team losing 9 senior starters will be "improved".
  • Options

I know you are being sarcastic but there are no tiebreakers for third in the division because no one gives a fuck.
  • Options

I know you are being sarcastic but there are no tiebreakers for third in the division because no one gives a fuck.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,068
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,068
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club