Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Question about "concessions" in golf match play

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,549
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club

No @CFetters_Nacho_Lover , not that kind of concessions. I'm talking golf, bud.

There was controversy last week at the Doosan Match Play in South Korea. Yoon Ina, who had been suspended for three years for cheating but had it reduced to 18 months was back on the tour and ranked as the #62 seed. (She got all the way to the final 4).

Many tour members reportedly resent the fact she's back on the tour. But during match play, Yoon Ina was not conceding all the gimme putts and was forcing her opponents to make the putts. This pissed off some of the players. One of them, I think her name is Lee So-young, walked off the green while Yoon Ina was still putting to show her disgust. (As shown at the 4:00 mark)

I like the gentlemen aspect of golf, but if you're competing, doesn't it make sense to force your opponent to make a two-footer or three-footer?

When I was a young buck playing golf with my dad, he'd say "That's good , son", and not make me hit a two or three footer. Sometimes I would insist on hitting it anyway. And when I invariably missed, he'd say "Should have taken the offer, Derek."

Anyway, does anyone have thoughts on this matter? @Bob_C @Tequilla @RaceBannon @chuck @YellowSnow @pawz etc…. Is it considered rude in America to force a competitor to make the putt?

Comments