Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Greatest 4 Album Run in Rock History?

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,473 Founders Club
    Neil Young: 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere' (1969), 'After the Gold Rush' (1970), 'Harvest' (1972), 'On the Beach' (1974)

High and Dry

Pyromania

Hysteria

And there is no 4th

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
    The Rolling Stones: 'Beggars Banquet' (1968), 'Let It Bleed' (1969), 'Sticky Fingers' (1971), 'Exile on Main St.' (1972)

Jimi has a chance to win the 3 album run sweepstakes. There was not a 4th.

The Rolling Stones: 'Beggars Banquet' (1968), 'Let It Bleed' (1969), 'Sticky Fingers' (1971), 'Exile on Main St.' (1972)

I just don't think there's a 90s contender here with the exception of Radiohead if you're into them. They did have a pretty epic 3 or 4 album run. I'm just not super versed in that band and didn't feel comfortable including them.

All of the first 5 Beastie albums are legendary, but not really a true rock band.

Pearl Jam's first 3 albums are all essential but they didn't really stretch that into No Code (good but not great)

Nirvana had 2 great (studio) albums and a collection of B-Sides. The live album doesn't count here.

U-2 had 2 terrific albums, but the rest don't measure up to the task of being in this competition.

Weezer's 1st albums are top notch, but the rest aren't worthy of being in this pole.

REM had a great albums but I don't think they had 4 in a row.

I don't feel like Aerosmith had 4 classic albums in a row.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,151
    Led Zeppelin: 'Led Zeppelin III' (1970), 'Led Zeppelin IV' (1971), 'Houses of the Holy' (1973), 'Physical Graffiti' (1975) or any combo of the first 6 LZ Albums

The best modern-day 4 album run is courtesy of Muse.

Showbiz

Origin of Symmetry

Absolution

Black Holes & Revelations

White Stripes had a great 3 album run from De Stijl thru Elephant.

Long Player - Faces

Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart

Nod is as good a wink - Faces

Never a Dull Moment - Rod Stewart

I changed my mind @RaceBannon and am putting Hot Rod on the list.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,473 Founders Club
    Neil Young: 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere' (1969), 'After the Gold Rush' (1970), 'Harvest' (1972), 'On the Beach' (1974)

EPTAS is a legit classic

I'm taking screen shots!

• El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,167 Swaye's Wigwam
    The Beatles: 'Rubber Soul' (1965), 'Revolver' (1966), 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' (1967), 'The Beatles' (1968) (or Revolver to Abbey Road)

I think REM had a great run of good albums

When it comes to "alternative" bands, REM had a pretty solid run of decent records. I first heard of REM reading The Rocket and seeing who the "college bands" were in the back of Rolling Stone.

Life's Rich Pageant / Document / Green / Out of Time / Automatic for the People / Monster

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,898 Founders Club
    AC/DC: 'Let There Be Rock' (1977), 'Powerage' (1978), 'Highway to Hell' (1979), 'Back in Black' (1980)

REM is the band most likely to have to punching people to change the station. I fucking can’t stand their music.

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 23
    The Beatles: 'Rubber Soul' (1965), 'Revolver' (1966), 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' (1967), 'The Beatles' (1968) (or Revolver to Abbey Road)

Just disagree. Harvest Moon is basically Harvest redone, but better. Alabama is the only song on Harvest that, for me, stands up to or beats the best on Harvest Moon. Plus Harvest has a couple of automatic skips for me. After the Gold Rush requires a certain mood, though Cripple Creek Ferry is my only skip. Everybody Knows has two of his best songs, but Cinnamon Girl is overrated for me and the rest is just OK by his standards aside from Cowgirl In the Sand and Down By the River.

Ragged Glory is perfect aside from Mother Earth which I skip. Freedom finishes with 4-5 of his best tracks, and Sleeps With Angels is him at his gloomy best. I don't care for the title track but Change Your Mind, Prime of Life and Trans Am are some of my favorites. Even the little piano ditties that open and close the album really hit for me.

On the Beach is the only one from the option listed that is in my Neil top 4. That's just me though. I'm not bloviating about facts either real or imagined or pretending to be objectively correct in any way. That's just how I feel.

• CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,121 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 23
    AC/DC: 'Let There Be Rock' (1977), 'Powerage' (1978), 'Highway to Hell' (1979), 'Back in Black' (1980)

If Neil Young and Bobby D are considered rock alongside Metallica and AC/DC, I don't know what's happening.

If Skynyrd and/or CCR were on the list, my vote may change, but many of my formative teenage years were performed under the AC/DC and Metallica banner. Also Slayer. AC/DC gets the nod for pure rock and roll. I like the fact that 3 Bon Scott albums and the one great Brian Johnson album were included. That's the correct listing. Bon Scott >>> Brian Johnson all day, but I can't argue with Back in Black. It was great and it was meaningful. What a comeback that album was. The story behind it as well.

AC/DC! Oy! Oy!

You may surprised to learn that "rock" is a very broad genre and includes such sub genres as: folk rock, country rock, roots rock, blue rock, hard rock, heavy metal, southern rock, etc. So yes Neil Young and Bob Dylan are rock musicians.

Skynyrd's 3rd and 4th albums aren't all time classic stuff, so they don't make the cut IMO.

I can, however, make a case for CCR being in the pole.

edited May 23

I think Bobby D is straight folk, not even folk rock. Neil Young may have a case for rock like Pink Floyd may have a case for rock, but still. I don't consider either real rockers.

I love Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Pink Floyd. Not meant to be a slight on any of them. It's a classification thing.

"Classic rock" is the stupidest classification known to man imo.

With all due respect, you couldn't possibly be more off the mark.

When Dylan plugged in and "went electric" he was no longer a straight folk artist. It was only one of the biggest outrages of the mid 60s.

Bringing it Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde all had rock and roll on them.

@chuck care to weigh in?

I don't think being plugged in is a hall pass to rockdom.

edited May 23

What genre is Elvis? Chuck Berry? That's rock and roll, baby!

Christ.

Dylan was born and raised in St. Louis County, Minnesota. Following his self-titled debut album of traditional folk songs in 1962, he made his breakthrough with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan the next year. The album featured "Blowin' in the Wind" and "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" which, like many of his early songs, adapted the tunes and phrasing of older folk songs. He released the politically charged The Times They Are a-Changin' and the more lyrically abstract and introspective Another Side of Bob Dylan in 1964. In 1965 and 1966, Dylan drew controversy among folk purists when he adopted electrically amplified rock instrumentation, and in the space of 15 months recorded three of the most influential rock albums of the 1960s: Bringing It All Back HomeHighway 61 Revisited (both 1965) and Blonde on Blonde (1966). When Dylan made his move from acoustic folk and blues music to rock, the mix became more complex. His six-minute single "Like a Rolling Stone" (1965) expanded commercial and creative boundaries in popular music.[11][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan

The point of all of this is

CCR and AC/DC. That's my 4 album streak winners.

I'm just being a little bitch about everything else because it's fun and I also kind of think the things I do but also not really.

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam

I agree with you. Trying to define and restrict what qualifies as R&R is not something your average, layman listener (like me) should be attempting. Rock musicians branched out and integrated other genres to creat sub genres of rock. Rock in it's origin was already a mix of genres and it only grew in the 60s and 70s, hell even the 80s.