Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How OCD are you about car washing and detailing?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,259
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

How OCD are you about car washing and detailing? 22 votes

1st Place in the local car show level detailing
9%
Williams3BleachedAnusDawg 2 votes
I hand wash only, wax and Armor All regularly (i.e., better than 99% of the general public)
9%
PurpleBazeYellowSnow 2 votes
I go to the Brown Bear Car Wash a few times a year and use the scratchy brush and/or drive through
54%
DerekJohnsonCFetters_Nacho_LoverBennyBeaverMad_SonchuckhuskyhooliganEl_KJoeEDangerously1to392831weretakenFishpo31hopelesshouseofpain247 12 votes
My car looks like the domicile of a homeless person
27%
RaceBannonwhlinderPurpleThrobberPitchfork51CallMeBigErndannarc 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 21
    I hand wash only, wax and Armor All regularly (i.e., better than 99% of the general public)

So @BleachedAnusDawg I'm probably not too far behind you.

Cars are expensive as fuck these days- e.g., my 2022 Toyota Sequoia TRD PRO was $75,000 ( @creepycoug made me do it with his 4 Runner Bullying). So, I'm gonna have this thing for 15 year plus (had my old 4 Runner for 14 years) and I need to take care of it.

Both our cars are garaged. I only hand wash, and wash and clean the interior regularly. I even get out the clay bars once in while although the car is new enough to not need that yet. But I cheat on stuff and don't quite get to car show level detailing. For example, I use the spray on quick wax vs a more traditional harder wax. Or I clean the wheels but I don't Armor All the tires. If there's some kid crumbs in spots I can't reach with the Dyson, I don't sweat it. I get 95% of the bugs off the front bumper, but I'm not getting out the bug and tar remover products.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,695
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

You are definitely doing more than 95% of people are willing to do. The next level is doing your own polishing and ceramic coating the wheels, trim, paint, etc with various forms of those products. It's an investment in proper equipment, lighting, and higher-end products (throw that Armor All away!) that most people aren't willing to spend the money on. Not really worth it unless car detailing is your hobby or you have higher end vehicles. Not many people are willing to put 10+ hours into just the polishing stage to get mirror-perfect paint.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think it's a use case thing. If cars were my number one hobby, I'd be at your level. They aren't and that's fine. But I'm big on pride of ownership and protecting resale value. Most people treat their cars like shit.

I think if you stay on top the hand washing, waxing etc you're going to keep the pain in great shape which is most important. Kiddy sunscreen is the bane of the existence with interiors. It's nearly impossible to get off plastic or vinyl in the interior unless you're on the shit right away every time. You got any tips on this (i.e., sunscreen) BTW @BleachedAnusDawg ?

The other key to keeping a car looking great is USE YOUR GARAGE PEOPLE!! You wouldn't believe how many neighbors I have with nice cars parked outside in the drive way or on the curb, and garage cluttered with shit. Hoarders I tell ya!

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,169
    Founders Club
    I go to the Brown Bear Car Wash a few times a year and use the scratchy brush and/or drive through

People not parking cars in their garage is one of my biggest pet peeves. I get very judgy about people who don’t park in their garage.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I mean it's not as bad not returning the shopping cart @CFetters_Nacho_Lover, but I'm like come on peeps: the garage is one of mankind's greatest advancement to quality of life.

The problem here in Bend is that everyone has so much fucking ski, bike, paddle board, etc, gear that the garage becomes like a REI store. I got all that shit and I park 2 cars, but we've got a shit ton of shelving an racks to make it work.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,169
    Founders Club

What a person does with a shopping cart tells me everything I need to know about them.

When we bought our house, the 2.5 car garage was my tipping point. In our previous 2 houses, we had standard 2 car garages but at least my house in Burien was a deep garage. The Chicago burbs house barely had room for anything besides the cars.

As for this poll, there should probably be 1 more middle option

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've never parked a car indoors in my life. Cars are waterproof. Expensive tools and machinery and motorcycles aren't. I roll my cars in to work on them and then roll them back out when I'm done.

Ideally, I'd have both a 2-car attached garage AND a detached shop, but they didn't build many attached garages in my town in the 1920s.

• Options
    Founders Club

To get the sunscreen cleaned off I would recommend either Optimum Powerclean (the best all-purpose cleaner I've ever used) or you might need a steam gun. I'd go with the cleaner, first, since you can use it around the house, etc. You can buy it pre-mixed or get larger quantities and dilute it yourself. Bulk and dilute is a far better value. I just used it to clean up some kind of lotion spots on my in-laws' door panel the other day.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@BleachedAnusDawg can I buy this product at Oreillys or do you have special order ?

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 22

Should be able to find it on Amazon. Definitely not going to be on a local store shelf.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ordered off Amazon. I will dilute to 1 to 3 and see how it does on the sunscreen statins that I can't get out with regular Armor All all purpose interior cleaner.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,959
    Founders Club

Did Yella make the poll? And it needs that middle option where I qualify? Shocking.

I’m a car wash guy every couple weeks and weekly in the summer.

I don’t care that much, but don’t want to look like a total schlep.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree. 4 options is sufficient. You wash you're car, but are nothing special in this regard.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,959
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Then start hand washing the Bimmer, boss!

You think @PurpleJ is taking his Bimmers to the Brown Bear?

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I got a "Detail Kit" when I got a new rig a couple years ago, and deep clean a couple times a year / as needed, which is not very often now. I am not fanatical about it, but put my foot down on eating in the car many years ago. My daughters were notorious for eating stuff and leaving the remnants. The tipping point was smelling something foul, investigating, and finding cereal bowls and small plates jammed under the front seats, with silverware, along with half-eaten breakfast/protein bars.

My old Highlander was pristine for a long time, but too many trips to the dump / nursery / big box stores wore the interior down…I refuse to own a truck, in that if I don't have a truck, friends won't ask me to "help" them…

I will go hand-wash when the weather is nice, do the tires, but that's about it.

• Options
    Founders Club

I waddle with Pawz!

PS - fuck off Vanilla and your "Body is 92355 characters too long." bullshit.

• Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,126
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

In Texas, there are car washes on every corner, like a Starbucks. They offer monthly unlimited memberships. Free vacuums and window cleaner along with compressed air to blow out any water. I go about once a month. Wash the wheels at home as some car washes suck at wheels. And I get the front bumper done at home to get the dead bugs.