Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Caitlin Clark vs Kelsey Plum

whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,281
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter

Curious to hear my fellow DAWG fans thoughts on this.

The Caitlin Clark hype train probably hit its crescendo today with her being picked first overall on ESPN, fresh off an SNL appearance and absolutely bonkers ratings for her final collegiate games. The level of attention to her and women's basketball has never been even close to what it is now, largely driven by something about Clark.

I watch a decent amount of women's sports, primarily tennis, but compared to the average WASP male I have to be fairly high on the bell curve of awareness of women's sports. USWNT is always interesting too.

While Clark has some ridiculous records and the logo 3s are nuts, what I can't figure out is why the interest has reached such insane levels recently. And I can't help but look back to our* Kelsey and try to understand why she didn't get close to the same level of interest.

Plum set the all-time NCAA scoring record which Clark broke.

Plum led her team to a surprise Final 4 in her junior year; Clark took team to title game.

Both led non-traditional WCBB programs to serious heights.

Both "attractive" brunette young ladies, well spoken, good personality etc. Kelsey prettier if you ask me.

Both #1 WNBA draft picks.

Clark definitely has a personality but I thought Plum always had a good one too.

What got Clark this level of attention which Plum never came close to? Logo 3s? Iowa being the middle of no-where and the only game in town compared to the Seattle sports scene (which in her senior year the football team went to the playoff)? ESPN's investment level in the WNBA/women's hoops finally paying off or even more focus in 2024? Twitter? ESPN becoming even woker? (don't answer, TITTT) The men's tournament becoming more and more lame in the past 7 years to allow a personable, decent looking female baller to garner more attention because the men have nothing interesting happening (Zach Edey lol)?

Maybe we've just changed that much in 7 years? I just find it chinteresting. The media hype train loves Clark and I never saw anything close to this with Plum. Do they think Clark is LBJ and Plum was Glenn Robinson?

Comments