Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Agenda 47

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I agree with most of that but the free American Online college sounds like a shit idea with a close to 0% chance of being implemented effectively.

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,926
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Pretty much the hit rate on non-stem degrees from almost any state public college which are running about $20k a year with room and board, tuition, books, fees amok.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Massively overgeneralizing the traditional college problem which is that there too many fuck heads that shouldn't have gone in the first place, but their middle class parents are forcing the issue because they refuse to believe that post high school Johnny is a fucktard.

American online college wont fix that problem either.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,814
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Hey the college thing seems a bit strange but why take up class space with people who don't really want to be in an actual class? Might leave room for the more ambitious.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If online only for high schools and college was a terrible idea (it was) then this idea isn't going to work, and it doesn't matter if it's Trump or Biden behind it.

Military, trade/skill programs, or just straight working your way up from the bottom at a large company out of high school is what a ton of kids need but their middle class boomer parents can't swallow admitting that to their friends.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Government isn't the solution it is the problem. Stupid parents allowing their stupid kids to "borrow" huge amounts of government cash for worthless degrees is a guaranteed failure. Now we have $1.8 trillion of student debt and a huge default rate. If I had student debt I'd default and wait for the 2024 November election and expect that if the dems win that I get a huge amount of debt relief. Get the government out of student debt and let the banks loan money to people they expect to pay it back. Loaning a hundred thousand dollars to a poor student for a gender studies degree ain't happening. I agree, put the money into military, trade/skill programs.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sure, but what you said about "non-STEM degrees", assuming some large cost that can be mitigated by doing your first 2 years at community college, working jobs, etc, and then implying that we should just carve colleges down to being nothing but glorified tech schools is an absolutely terrible idea.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 11

Jesus fucking christ, Vanilla's back end/data layer/lambda system is so fucking slow atm to have the client timeout like this.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 11

Fucking shit ass back end.

This is just users and some guids and some foreign keys. How hard is it to make a schema that doesn't fuck up like this, if that's what's now slowing their shit down.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

If you want to spend a hundred grand of your own money for a gender studies degree, then go ahead and our wonderful colleges can continue as they are. I have a BA in History. Back in the 70s it was still a useful degree as it was Western Civ centric. While the commies were at the gates they hadn't yet conquered the department. Minored in trade school Accountancy. Today I wouldn't touch a liberal arts degree from anywhere not named Hillsdale. Colleges need the market to carve them down. If the History department wants some students, they need to teach some actual history, not made up sh*t to hit a DEI score or secure some chicom money. Toss in some economics and basic science and make a liberal arts degree worth something - how to read, think, learn and be able to write a comprehensive paper that explains your thinking.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I knocked out general education stuff taking history, mostly World War I/II stuff taught by a old guy that did all his shit at Stanford, and it was fine.

Quoting gender studies and all that is just going as extreme as you can with your point which I don't agree with, at least not for UW. There are still normal(ish) people in the other humanities.

Dude, Hillsdale college?!?

Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

So how many open Trump voters do you think are tenured professors in the History and English departments at the U of W? There is no way an avowed conservative gets considered for tenure. There may be a few normal(ish) people but they have their heads down. They don't have their heads down at Hillsdale, which is why I mentioned it.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I didn't realize that tenured professors needed to vote for a specific candidate to not be the woke extremist type you've been talking about.

There was literally a non-woke CS professor that sued the UW.

Hillsdale just seems like a complete joke of a school. No matter your politics.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

So, if you aren't woke you get trashed by Washington and have to sue. I think that was my point about keeping your head down. And you seem to concede my point that for some reason there aren't a lot of Trump voters in the History and English departments. Harvard is a complete joke of a school starting with their now fired anti-semite plagiarizing President. For some reason you think hiring non-woke professors at Hillsdale makes them a joke but Harvard firing them is?

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/03/the-ordeal-of-martin-kulldorff.php

THE ORDEAL OF MARTIN KULLDORFF

According to his Martin Kulldorff bio, Ph.D., Dr.h.c., is an epidemiologist, a biostatistician, and a founding fellow at Hillsdale College’s Academy for Science and Freedom. He was a Professor of Medicine at Harvard University for thirteen years. Dr. Kulldorff’s research centers on developing and applying new disease surveillance methods for post-market drug and vaccine safety surveillance and for the early detection and monitoring of infectious disease outbreaks. In October 2020, he co-authored the Great Barrington Declaration, advocating for a pandemic strategy of focused protection instead of lockdowns.

City Journal has just published Professor Kulldorff’s account of the censorship of his work and his involuntary departure from Harvard. It was something (many things) he thought and said — crimes against the groupthink of the Covid regime. His account runs to 2,500 words and is titled “Harvard tramples the truth.” It’s straight outta Cambridge. It’s straight outta D.C. It’s straight outta Orwell.

It opens: “I am no longer a professor of medicine at Harvard. The Harvard motto is Veritas, Latin for truth. But, as I discovered, truth can get you fired. This is my story—a story of a Harvard biostatistician and infectious-disease epidemiologist, clinging to the truth as the world lost its way during the Covid pandemic.” 

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 12

Again, you just want to make it about "Trump voters". There can't be reasonable people who just don't vote, are true left-center, etc? It's not all whack jobs in those departments. Sending your 18 year old son to do Women's Studies is a DenisLearyFirstOfAllThatDidn'tHappen.gif

I knew you would steer this into political tribalism immediately and start bringing up embarrassing Fox-News 3am infomercial bullshit like Hillsdale. Go send your fucking kids there if you think that's a good use of money. I don't care about Harvard.

Let's cut every single college department except STEM to weed out all the leftists. Doesn't sound Dan BonginoFS at all.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

It's about political diversity. And there is very little in major university liberal arts departments, not just gender studies. Political donations run to 95+% to dems in these departments. So, Harvard kicking out a scientist for being totally correct on the major medical and economic event of the century so far is a nothing burger. But Hillsdale for some reason sends you off on a tantrum.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

My wife had donated to Hillsdale before we got married so I get shit from them now and think they're a bunch of loser fags. No tantrum needed.

I'm not all emotional about the other shit you're crying about. No need for "little guy" comments and comparing compensation packages.