Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2024 NFL Draft QBs

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,549
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam

I'm pretty confounded seeing JJ McCarthy remain ahead of Penix and get talked about as going as high as #2, even considering the injuries. I thought the ASU walk on, Utah walk on pig fucker, and whoever was playing QB at Stanford all looked better playing UW. How do you objectively stack this year's QB class if you were an NFL team?

My list:

1. Caleb Williams - It's popular and easy to hate on him. I still think he's a no question top pick. The roster around him quietly sucked the past two years. Who has he had on his team other than Jordan Addison last year?
  2. Penix - The guy simply can already make all the NFL throws. He hasn't missed more than a few plays in two years and since he hasn't had to run around as the only player on his team. Also seems like a great locker room guy and outside of the Michigan game has been at his best on the biggest stages and in the biggest moments.
  3. Jayden Daniels - I'll admit I didn't watch him much this year but watched him a decent amount at ASU and loved him against Oregon in 2019. I think he actually fits pretty well for the current day's game and can do everything and is a great level of mobile. How skinny and reckless he is could be a concern.
  4. Drake Maye - Love his size and raw skills and have watched him a bit and been impressed at times. Hasn't proven much though. These types of guys have gotten a lot of credit because of guys like Josh Allen and Herbert and I think the league is getting better at developing guys who have tools but are raw at QB.
  5. Bo Nix - I don't hate Nix and wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being a guy who is a starter for a long time on bad teams how is actually decent or a guy like Brock Purdy who gets on a good team and isn't asked to do too much. That said, I would be wary of drafting him in the first round given I've never seen him just make downfield throws without having a bunch of screen passes set it up.
  6. JJ McCarthy - I don't understand this at all. He was one of the least impressive QBs UW faced all year and was really unimpressive against a defense that made almost every QB they played look really good and a D that was probably 95% just focused on the run.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

JJ is a false flag. People know who he is

Had UW won it would have been in large part due to Penix. Michigan could have plugged anyone in to hand off

There was no comparison at the combine

• Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I’d go: Maye, Penix, Williams, Daniels, Nix McCarthy. Caleb, while talented, doesn’t see the middle of the field too well and that issue will only get amplified at the next level. Also not sure he can play in structure. Only the top 4 should be first rounders if the NFL weren’t a QB Industrial Complex

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,529
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nobody with half a brain is picking that crybaby loser from USC.

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 8

If the top QB isn't Penix or Maye, I don't know shit about shit. If Daniels, Nix and McCarthy all end up being quality starters I'll eat my hat. I think Williams has some Russell Wilson potential tho. Now that I say that, I want to contradict myself. A stronger armed Wilson is definitely a #1 pick.

As far as Daniels goes, he might get drafted to a team with worse WR talent than he had at LSU. I don't love the logic that it should be considered a negative for him, because if you're going to win at the next level you're gonna do it with tons of talent around you, but still.

And the dual threat shit should be thrown right out the window. Scramblers are the modern NFL meta QB, not 1000 yard rushing QBs. Move in the pocket to outside the pocket, keep the play alive, do something nifty, hit a WR. Daniels won't last half a season if he tries to be Lamar Jackson running the ball, and the reason Jackson is so good is because he's improved so well as a passer. The 2 time MVP is the exception, not the norm. Maybe I'm way off and Daniels is that dude.

I read somewhere that Daniels had six 40+ yard runs last year. In 19 games Lamar Jackson's longest run was 30 yards. It's just not going to translate and shouldn't be weighted so heavily.

I looked it up. Daniels had at least seven 40+ yard runs last season.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,346
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Williams is gonna flame out. Literally.

Any team that has a chance to draft Penix and passes on him will regret it.

The rest are OK but no future stars in the group.

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 9
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

McCarthy sucks and will be the next Trubisky if someone takes him high. Has to be a false flag from teams trying to drive up the value of their picks.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 9

Williams with the right team could be great but he's going to be terrible in frigid ass, roll the ball out there on offense Chicago.

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

No QB in this class will have a better NFL career than Andy Dalton or Derek Carr. Its a bad class and none of these guys were better pro prospects than Dal Prescott or Kirk Cousin and those guys went in the 4th rd.