Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest transfer portal pick up in rock history?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Greatest transfer portal pick up in rock history? 21 votes

Neil Young to CSN
4%
iDawg 1 vote
Neil Peart to Rush
19%
DerekJohnsonTequillaYellowSnowRTD 4 votes
Rod Stewart/Ronnie Wood to The Small Faces
0%
Mick Taylor to The Rolling Stones
14%
El_KFishpo31WoolleyDoog 3 votes
Sammy Hagar to Van Halen
0%
Brian Johnson to AC DC
19%
Fire_Marshall_Billdfleabiak1JoeEDangerously 4 votes
Joe Walsh to The Eagles
14%
RaceBannonalumni94RDR 3 votes
Dave Grohl to Nirvana
19%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverwhlinderMad_Sonhuskyhooligan 4 votes
Steve Perry to Journey
0%
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
9%
PurpleJPurple_Pills 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Joe Walsh to The Eagles
    Really the answer could be

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Joe Walsh to The Eagles
    Great list from guys who saved bands to guys who improved them like my vote
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Travis Barker to Blink-182
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Peart to Rush

Most of these fall into the "improve" bucket, with Sammy and Brian, being portal moves to save bands from implosion.

I'm a huge Joe Walsh fan, but I can't think of another guy who did more than Neil Peart to take a band to the next level.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Peart to Rush

Can't believe we haven't mined this topic yet @RaceBannon in the 6 years my shoppe has been in bidness.

But with all the transfer portal hawt talk, now is as good as time as any.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 786
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Neil Peart to Rush
    I would say when Chevy Chase left Leather Cannary is a close Portal second.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Agree about Neil P...A great list for sure, I've gotta go with Mick Taylor because the Stones were about to go into free-fall, IMO. "No Jones No Stones" had checked out well before, and Mick was a key component to their four greatest albums. I don't think he "reinvented" the Stones, but inspired them to what could be going forward.

Also, Rod and Ronnie took the Small Faces in a different direction than Mariott...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Peart to Rush
    Fishpo31 said:

Agree about Neil P...A great list for sure, I've gotta go with Mick Taylor because the Stones were about to go into free-fall, IMO. "No Jones No Stones" had checked out well before, and Mick was a key component to their four greatest albums. I don't think he "reinvented" the Stones, but inspired them to what could be going forward.

Also, Rod and Ronnie took the Small Faces in a different direction than Mariott...

I don't view Mick Taylor as "saving" the Stones, per se. They had already started the GOAT 4 Album run with Beggars (Ry Cooder helped that one a bit) and Mick's contributions to Let it Bleed were minimal. But what he did do was enable them to get back on the road (Brian was done as a player and had too many legal issues) and enable them to take things to their greatest ever work with Sticky Fingers and Exile.

The first album with Ronnie and Rod was still under the "Small" Faces title by the way. Imagine a world where Rod doesn't want to go solo and is content as the leader of a band called the Faces. Ties Buffalo Springfield staying together and adding Nash and Crosby in the portal as my all time favorite band that could have been.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Neil Peart to Rush

Fishpo31 said:

I don't view Mick Taylor as "saving" the Stones, per se. They had already started the GOAT 4 Album run with Beggars (Ry Cooder helped that one a bit) and Mick's contributions to Let it Bleed were minimal. But what he did do was enable them to get back on the road (Brian was done as a player and had too many legal issues) and enable them to take things to their greatest ever work with Sticky Fingers and Exile.

The first album with Ronnie and Rod was still under the "Small" Faces title by the way. Imagine a world where Rod doesn't want to go solo and is content as the leader of a band called the Faces. Ties Buffalo Springfield staying together and adding Nash and Crosby in the portal as my all time favorite band that could have been.
    Ry Cooder is massively underrated. His sessions on Begger's were spechul!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Peart to Rush
    RTD said:

Fishpo31 said:

I've got 3 Ry Cooder LP's in my collection, plus the Taj Mahal stuff he played on.

Love me some Ry.

Paradise and Lunch is a GOAT album.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Neil Peart to Rush

RTD said:

Fishpo31 said:

I've got 3 Ry Cooder LP's in my collection, plus the Taj Mahal stuff he played on.

Love me some Ry.

Paradise and Lunch is a GOAT album.
    Lawd I’m a cigarette.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    Founders Club
    Neil Peart to Rush
    Fantastic topic
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Brian Johnson to AC DC

People thought AC/DC peaked with Highway to Hell and they were done for. Then they had their biggest album and one of the biggest in rock history.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 27
    Neil Peart to Rush

it’s a feat of transfer portal brilliance that on one has ever matched.

Different scenario than my Peart vote though.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Joe Walsh to The Eagles

I wanted to hate Brian Johnson but the Young brothers really stepped it up with irresistible hooks and power chords

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

What about Ed King in Skynyrd?

• Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Peart to Rush

Ed was in Skynyrd though before they released their first album.

Maybe if Steve Gaines doesn’t sell the couch and they have a late 70s or early 80s album on par with Pronounced or 2nd helping.

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Does John Frusciante count either time?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Peart to Rush

yes, but I don’t think of this example as being as momentous as the others.