Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just had a thought about Mark Emmert (politically incorrect and moved to the Tug)

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,527 Founders Club
edited January 16 in Tug Tavern
It never made sense to me how Emmert so badly mismanaged the Willingham situation but 18 months later became the president of the entire NCAA.

I would bet that he was offered the inside track to the NCAA presidency if he gave Willingham the fourth year. In somewhat the same manner that NFL teams right now quietly receive bonus payments from the league if they hire black coaches who have been fired.

Otherwise, how does someone like Emmert become the NCAA PRESIDENT?

My subconscious has probably been working on that for the past 15 years. Hardy har har

Comments

• Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,265 Swaye's Wigwam
    I think it’s more likely that Emmert wanted a job where you get praised for being shitty at it.
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 827 Founders Club
    There's easier explanations out there. The Peter Principle could apply. Emmert might be a guy more focused on title and status than actually doing the job. The schools and TV networks might've seen him as a patsy or someone easy enought to control, that he would be a perfect candidate.

He could get along well with others in that very small circle and was someone everyone could agree on. Jen Cohen might fit that model too. She seems to be well regarded by others, despite a long list of misses we've seen.

Never attribute to malice/conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    Emmert became president as the ncaa was closing up shop. He was perfect to do nothing

The job about nothing Jerry. He does nothing
  • BlueduckBlueduck Member Posts: 1,353
    Failing miserably to move up ...now where have I heard that before 🤔
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,073 Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

I think it’s more likely that Emmert wanted a job where you get praised for being shitty at it.

To be fair, who wouldn’t?