Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Husky Hitman: The Life and Times of Dave Hoffmann in the Golden Age of UW Football

Comments

• Options
    HarveyRoadHarveyRoad Member Posts: 121
    Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary

speculation regarding the poor tackling form of Curtis Williams (RIP) >>>>> speculation regarding Hoffmann's potential steroid use

Neither are speculative. The difference is that CW wasn't worth a pinch of shit, so Derek didn't write about him. Hoffman was the Common Man who overcame all the odds. Except he cheated. Would make a good book.
    Derek hasn't written a whole book on CW, but he did write about him in his book on the 2000 Huskies.
    What was that about me not being much of a help?

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2013
    Tailgater said:

Looks like the perfect gift for my oldest son Dave's 50th BD...... who played inside LB (and OG) in HS at one inch shorter and thirty pounds lighter than Hoffman. There's something about the position that brings out the animal in some guys. I think it's the choices made in a millisecond: either plant the helmet and facemask between the numbers or get runover. Always takes a man even while they're still boys.

I'm sure playing against white kids in Idaho was really tough.
  • Options
    BertWinthropBertWinthrop Member Posts: 38
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Tailgater said:

Looks like the perfect gift for my oldest son Dave's 50th BD...... who played inside LB (and OG) in HS at one inch shorter and thirty pounds lighter than Hoffman. There's something about the position that brings out the animal in some guys. I think it's the choices made in a millisecond: either plant the helmet and facemask between the numbers or get runover. Always takes a man even while they're still boys.

I'm always impressed at the ability of a good middle backer to shed blocks and sniff out a play in the middle of chaos. And not only getting to the ball carrier but stuffing him in his tracks with a violent form tackle. Being big inside is a plus, but not always necessary.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hoffman's a blowhard douchebag.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheGlove said:

I doubt you would say it to his FACE!!
  • Options
    PopeHarvPopeHarv Member Posts: 92
    Photogenic 5 Up Votes First Comment
    TheGlove said:

And a cheating drug user. Allegedly.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The allegedly makes all the difference. Allegedly
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    Founders Club
    Given the references above, I will take a moment to say... I've spent a lot of time with Dave, and he's one the most generous, kind-hearted and loyal people I have met, not to mention someone who possesses a tremendous amount of integrity and a warrior's mentality. I've seen it first hand. As Don James said during an interview for Husky Hitman, "As a football coach, you want 100 Dave Hoffmanns on your team."

So carry on, Harvey Montesquieu...
  • Options

Given the references above, I will take a moment to say... I've spent a lot of time with Dave, and he's one the most generous, kind-hearted and loyal people I have met, not to mention someone who possesses a tremendous amount of integrity and a warrior's mentality. I've seen it first hand. As Don James said during an interview for Husky Hitman, "As a football coach, you want 100 Dave Hoffmanns on your team."

WTF does any of that have to do with his cheating and drug abuse? By all accounts, Doc Gooden is a sweetheart. And a fierce competitor.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    Founders Club

WTF does any of that have to do with his cheating and drug abuse? By all accounts, Doc Gooden is a sweetheart. And a fierce competitor.
    Mike Price is a cross dresser. See I can do it too.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

At the time it was pretty well known that Mike Utley (RIP) was waist deep into metabolic steroids. Of course that was just an allegation. If you think about his chances to go to the NFL which were non existent when he signed, it stands to reason he cheated to get there.

• Options

At the time it was pretty well known that Mike Utley (RIP) was waist deep into metabolic steroids. Of course that was just an allegation. If you think about his chances to go to the NFL which were non existent when he signed, it stands to reason he cheated to get there.

Derek should write a book about what an overachiever Mike was.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2013

It's been written. More than once.

• Options

No. It hasn't.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

No. It hasn't.
    articles.orlandosentinel.com/1999-05-23/sports/9905230371_1_mike-utley-utley-foundation-detroit-lions
  • Options

Great book. As always. CHRIST.

No. It hasn't.
    articles.orlandosentinel.com/1999-05-23/sports/9905230371_1_mike-utley-utley-foundation-detroit-lions
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

No. It hasn't.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

No. It hasn't.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I'm sure playing against white kids in Idaho was really tough.

Not that it matters, but yes, playing with and against Idaho kids was really tough...... in the 1950's. Not so tough was living in Edmonds for 30 years and watching my boys play WESCO football.