Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Did Lightning Strike, or was it excellence?

I think the frustrating thing about last night was that it raises questions about the season and the future. "Heart attack kids" has been a moniker thrown on a lot of teams over the years in many sports and, usually they are one hit wonders. The team played with fire for most of 15 games and it took until that last game to finally get burned. It was a great success of a season any way you slice it.

Since moving to a playoff or BCS game in which a "championship" is determined on the field only 4 Pac-10/12 coaches have made the championship game. Carroll, Kelly, Helfrich and Deboer. Only Carroll has won it. Probably only Kelly has made the game without a generational QB as the other 3 QBs were Leinart, Mariota and Penix.

Chip has never been a good coach again, strangely. Helfrich was never good to begin with. Only Carroll maintained any success after making the title game. It's a hard task for any coach, outside of Saban to maintain a team at this level.

Frustrating not to get your best effort when you get your shot, because there may not be another.

Comments

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,616 Standard Supporter
    I do think one of the aspects to think about in terms of championship team building is it is usually better to build the Michigan structure of not really any superstars but everyone is really really good, and therefore they play collectively as a team. Afterall that's our 1991 team. The alternative way, which is what we tried, was the superstars in a handful of positions and average players elsewhere. Those players made plays when needed all year, and played really well together as a team, but in this game they were looking to Penix to win it for them. Looking to that 1 player works if you have Jordan but it's much harder in football. Clemson with Watson and Lawrence had the superstar QB but enough others around them. We gotta get back to that better depth throughout the roster even if we don't have the Heisman runner up.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,412 Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't hate the defense as much as I did last year but I'm thinking Inge or Breckterfield need to go
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Encouraging. I dont think there are very many other Head Coaches in the country, if any, that could have got these guys to 14-1. Lots of guys, especially on the offense, sure feel like they played up to their potential most of this season.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723

I think the frustrating thing about last night was that it raises questions about the season and the future. "Heart attack kids" has been a moniker thrown on a lot of teams over the years in many sports and, usually they are one hit wonders. The team played with fire for most of 15 games and it took until that last game to finally get burned. It was a great success of a season any way you slice it.

Since moving to a playoff or BCS game in which a "championship" is determined on the field only 4 Pac-10/12 coaches have made the championship game. Carroll, Kelly, Helfrich and Deboer. Only Carroll has won it. Probably only Kelly has made the game without a generational QB as the other 3 QBs were Leinart, Mariota and Penix.

Chip has never been a good coach again, strangely. Helfrich was never good to begin with. Only Carroll maintained any success after making the title game. It's a hard task for any coach, outside of Saban to maintain a team at this level.

Frustrating not to get your best effort when you get your shot, because there may not be another.

Completely different era with NIL and portal.

I think DeBoer as an evaluator and coach is a great fit for this era.

It’s easier to bounce back nowadays if you have a war chest and a good eye.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Next year will be interesting. Or it might not be interesting at all. Either way it should be interesting.

I have seen a few Helfrich references but I think the main difference between the 2 is Helfrich was given a Ferrari and Deboer was given a beat up classic car that he had to restore. He had some things to work with like the O Line, Odunze, and McMillan but he also brought in Penix and Dillon Johnson. I think their demeanors are completely different as well.

Did Deboer find his Marcus Mariota? Or was Penix a result of Deboer? More at 10!
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,307 Swaye's Wigwam

Next year will be interesting. Or it might not be interesting at all. Either way it should be interesting.

I have seen a few Helfrich references but I think the main difference between the 2 is Helfrich was given a Ferrari and Deboer was given a beat up classic car that he had to restore. He had some things to work with like the O Line, Odunze, and McMillan but he also brought in Penix and Dillon Johnson. I think their demeanors are completely different as well.

Did Deboer find his Marcus Mariota? Or was Penix a result of Deboer? More at 10!

No comparison between Helfrich and Deboer. The wheels damn near came off in his first year where he inherited a stacked team. Next year will be interesting. They should be 5-0 when Michigan comes to town and that game is going to show a lot.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter

DeBoer was fully convinced UW was going to win. I like that. None of this happy to be here bullshit.

That's the most demonstrative he has ever been that I can remember postgame. Still even keeled but he was fuming.
  • Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 787

DeBoer was fully convinced UW was going to win. I like that. None of this happy to be here bullshit.

That's the most demonstrative he has ever been that I can remember postgame. Still even keeled but he was fuming.
    Fucking love that attitude. He’s a killer and he’s our until he’s not.
  • bigccbigcc Member Posts: 896

Haener threw for 4100/33/9 the only full season he had with deboer.

He threw for for 2900/20/3 under Jeff Tedford the next season, who is very well known for prolific qb play (his one season here is the year browning went off)

Point being that I find it very difficult to believe there's going to be a massive drop in qb play.