Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Random Thoughts

Michigan's defense is really fast. I thought we called the right plays a few times and they blew it up before we could get to the next level.

O-line was probably the biggest disappointment of the game. After a good showing against Texas, they got pushed around most of the night.

Penix was definitely missing some throws. Maybe he was injured but sadly not his best game. (Still love him).

Refs were bad. (Not the reason we lost). I think they tend to not call much in these games and I think Michigan used that as strategy somewhat.

Proud of the defense for stepping up after the first quarter.

Everyone wants us to be TCU. I see most people ranking us 20-25 in early rankings next year.

Overall glad we kept it close most of the game. The game was in reach but we didn't capitalize when we needed to.

Comments

• Options
    SECisKingSECisKing Member Posts: 903
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

Starting the 3rd quarter with a pick was absolutely ruthless. Couldn’t have imagined that happening.

Absolute brutal play, that was the "Oh well" moment for me.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Our newfound media overlord Fox had us #7 preseason. ESPN and CBS had us top 15

Everyone knows DeBoer is no Sonny Dykes
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    I think next season is going to be somewhat of a temporary step back and we’ll probably win 8-9 games. Really curious to see how much Austin Mack gets to play, hope the coaches let him get his feet more than a little wet because come ‘25 the roster should be built back up and we’ll want him to have had some playing time.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Its hard to imagine next year not sucking

Deboer has done a really good job at getting the most from the guys he has, he looks like a real coach and MIGHT actually be a legit QB whisperer, but hopefully he now realizes that this isn't Soux Falls or Fresno St. he has to put some energy/focus on getting better players now. He also needs to really think about how to help out his loyal buddies, Morrel and Grubb.

Grubb has had some really strange questionable calling, even if yesterday was mostly fine. Grubb's recruiting, given the perceived success of his offense has been pretty bad... Even more now that UW doesn't really have to compete with Stanford or Cal for "smart" OL/TE recruits.

Morrel obviously needs lots of help... The 1st quarter roll out of our base defense while watching Michigan run for 188 yards was retarded... The defense also very clearly just doesn't have the guys to play at a high level. But he still makes wierd coaching decisions like not playing Bruener against the run, light boxes... UW needs to be transfer raiding the MWC for 1-2 big DL/Edge every year.
  • Options
    NookTunnelSyndromeNookTunnelSyndrome Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 183
    Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    OreDawg said:

I think next season is going to be somewhat of a temporary step back and we’ll probably win 8-9 games. Really curious to see how much Austin Mack gets to play, hope the coaches let him get his feet more than a little wet because come ‘25 the roster should be built back up and we’ll want him to have had some playing time.

That schedule is 10 wins easy
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

Its hard to imagine next year not sucking

Deboer has done a really good job at getting the most from the guys he has, he looks like a real coach and MIGHT actually be a legit QB whisperer, but hopefully he now realizes that this isn't Soux Falls or Fresno St. he has to put some energy/focus on getting better players now. He also needs to really think about how to help out his loyal buddies, Morrel and Grubb.

Grubb has had some really strange questionable calling, even if yesterday was mostly fine. Grubb's recruiting, given the perceived success of his offense has been pretty bad... Even more now that UW doesn't really have to compete with Stanford or Cal for "smart" OL/TE recruits.

Morrel obviously needs lots of help... The 1st quarter roll out of our base defense while watching Michigan run for 188 yards was retarded... The defense also very clearly just doesn't have the guys to play at a high level. But he still makes wierd coaching decisions like not playing Bruener against the run, light boxes... UW needs to be transfer raiding the MWC for 1-2 big DL/Edge every year.

The discipline of the defense was terrible in the first quarter. Not spying on McCarthy on a 3rd and long was curious. Basically inviting him to run and. Watching him do it. That scheme should not have been in the call sheet last night. I don't see anything about the defensive staff that would make me feel like they can produce a top tier defense. They're fine, but way behind the offense.

Unfortunately at the moment recruiting seems to be more about money than relationships. We are behind Oregon and usc out west in that regard and it's not particularly close.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

OreDawg said:

That schedule is 10 wins easy
    So we are only losing 2 from @ Oregon @ Iowa @ Penn State home vs Michigan USC UCLA?
    (I put UCLA here cause we always seem to do dumb things against them)

I can see it happening but we should not assume as much. Won’t be easy. It’s probably the hardest schedule for us in the B1G of the 5 year cycle, unless you view playing Ohio State as significantly tougher than what we have next year.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,868
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Here's a random thought...

UW started classes on Jan 3. Michigan started on Jan 10.

How much does this make a difference? Imagine being on a football team and you don't have to worry about homework and going to class. You can completely 100% focus on the national championship game. Does that make a difference? Should UW adjust it's scheduling?
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,561
    Swaye's Wigwam

How much does this make a difference? Imagine being on a football team and you don't have to worry about homework and going to class. You can completely 100% focus on the national championship game. Does that make a difference? Should UW adjust it's scheduling?

Might be overthinking it. I thought it was surprising they didn’t just go from New Orleans to Houston but don’t think it played a factor. Given how old so many of the UW players are I bet a large portion are graduated or taking minimal classes.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    Standard Supporter

None of them were doing any school work, be serious
    I expect as much, but still a distraction.

I will hopefully be able to go back and figure out if Michigan flew back home overnight from the Rose Bowl or the day after. We just played "tired" and tired. Yes I know the B1G schedule next year will be similar but regular season you fly in the day before the game and don't have all the media stuff that Natty game requires.

The other part, and I'd be curious what players think, but for big-time bowl games the charter flight will usually be a wide-body with lay flat business class. I've seen that fairly frequently. Google says Michigan flew to Houston in this:

U-M flew charter from Detroit Metropolitan Airport on Friday afternoon, and they took to the air in the “Queen of the Skies” — a Boeing 747-400 with a custom interior for luxury travel. The Atlas Air-owned jumbo jet features “an exceptional VIP experience” to its passengers. It’s an upgrade in size — and likely in comfort — over the Boeing 757 used by the program for its regular-season flights earlier in the fall.

The Wolverines have had a busy travel week. They left Pasadena for Ann Arbor in the hours after their Rose Bowl win the night of Monday, Jan. 1.

Alaska pays us a good amount of money I assume to sponsor our stadiums and our players. And we naturally fly them to games, which is fine for the regular season usually. But playoffs, with so much else gong on, spending 5 hours on Tuesday and then 5 hours on Friday crammed into coach seats, that matters to peak performance. Meanwhile Michigan's dudes are sitting in business class and got back a day earlier.

It wouldn't change the result but I think you compound everything crammed in that week and you can see why we weren't very sharp.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

I’m sure it’s been noticed and mentioned by all, but at the game last night I had a different viewpoint than most other games. (I was up much higher, and was way more sober for some reason).

I knew it was an issue before, but yesterday is was really pounded home how slow our defense is. There is very little high caliber D1 talent anywhere in the D backfield especially.

Watching the CB and safety have an angle on the big runs and not even get a hand on the guy as he cruises by was painful to watch.

Coaching up 3 stars is great. But Deboner really needs to upgrade the raw talent.

Completely agree. As much as people are taking about other areas not playing well last night the DBs and LBs athleticism cost the game ultimately even though they played pretty after the 1st quarter.

Jackson, Dixon, Tupitala, Powell, Hampton all had clunky movement that cost them on plays.

I hope Asa returns. He's not ELITE but he raises the floor. Becky London might be the best DB on the field next year. Pay Muhammad. Banks had sizzle and I have hope for him.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Alexis said:

I’m sure it’s been noticed and mentioned by all, but at the game last night I had a different viewpoint than most other games. (I was up much higher, and was way more sober for some reason).

I knew it was an issue before, but yesterday is was really pounded home how slow our defense is. There is very little high caliber D1 talent anywhere in the D backfield especially.

Watching the CB and safety have an angle on the big runs and not even get a hand on the guy as he cruises by was painful to watch.

Coaching up 3 stars is great. But Deboner really needs to upgrade the raw talent.

It’s amazing these guys were able to play as well as they did at times.

3 or 4 really talented guys and a lot of jags. I think they are all tough kids though.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,235
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

Alexis said:

I hope Asa returns. He's not ELITE but he raises the floor. Becky London might be the best DB on the field next year. Pay Muhammad. Banks had sizzle and I have hope for him.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Canadawg said:

Alexis said:

Completely agree. As much as people are taking about other areas not playing well last night the DBs and LBs athleticism cost the game ultimately even though they played pretty after the 1st quarter.

Jackson, Dixon, Tupitala, Powell, Hampton all had clunky movement that cost them on plays.

JFC some of you are really pushing me into making another Asa sucks manifesto gif post that I really dont want to make...
    Fuck that man. Make it.