Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Things that scream cheese ball tourist

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Yankees hats. Fucking Christ.

Apparently I missed the memo, but Yankees hats have become ubiquitous among international travelers these days. I must have seen a 1,000 of them in Australia over 2 weeks.

I get that it's the most iconic logo in all pro sports, but most of these goofballs don't know who Ruth, Mantle or Mattingly are/was.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27055049/sam-borden-why-yankees-hat-become-global-fashion-sensation

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, the Yankees cap is like tshirts of bands these kids weren’t even alive to see (or heard of). Some sports teams just have that “it” factor with young people. I remember when Raider gear was everywhere.

If UW was smart, they’d start sending Huskies gear to famous Ti-Tok/Instagram influencers and make licensing deals with Urban Outfitters, Uniqlo, and H&M. Get those hipsters wearing our stuff. I don’t care if they’re fans or not.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    HIP HOP you old fart. kids like to rock that thing
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 4

Yeah, the Yankees cap is like tshirts of bands these kids weren’t even alive to see (or heard of). Some sports teams just have that “it” factor with young people. I remember when Raider gear was everywhere.

If UW was smart, they’d start sending Huskies gear to famous Ti-Tok/Instagram influencers and make licensing deals with Urban Outfitters, Uniqlo, and H&M. Get those hipsters wearing our stuff. I don’t care if they’re fans or not.

I don't wanna be that brand though. If I see someone in a UW hat and I'm gonna say Go Dawgs and expect you to have some knowledge (don't need to be an alumni of course).

Raiders gear had a lot of rebel/gangsta cache, but I don't think they ever went international and it certainly wasn't a tourist look.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

HIP HOP you old fart. kids like to rock that thing

You're biased being from Moldova, comrade.

It ain't cool if everyone is wearing one.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 4

I don't wanna be that brand though. If I see someone in a UW hat and I'm gonna say Go Dawgs and expect you to have some knowledge (don't need to be an alumni of course).

Raiders gear had a lot of rebel/gangsta cache, but I don't think they ever went international and it certainly wasn't a tourist look.
    I used to feel that way too. Like certain music groups I used to like - I hated it when they got big and I had to see them at big, soulless stadiums and stand next to new fish, bandwagon fans that only knew the hit single.

But, this is the next step in UW’s evolution if they want to be a perennial power. I’m not saying you go full Oregon and Nike-ify everything…you can be classy and smart about it, but this is how you seize on the momentum and grow the fan base.

And there’s worse ways to do it than getting FREE PUB! from international tourists.