Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Peterman and Recruiting

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
I think we would all prefer UW to field a team of all 4 and 5 star recruits. That said, the hoopla about his recruiting is fucking stupid. Peterman is likely going to sign top 25 classes. Even Ty did that at times. There are outliers to the recruiting rankings and Peterman has proven to be a great coach and talent developer. There are plenty of other examples. Mark Dantonio has his teams frequently at or near the top of the Big 10 despite not having a single class ranked in the top 25 by Scout from 2009-2013. He still won 11+ games three times during those years. I checked all the way back to 2006 and Wisconsin also did not have a single top 25 class. Somehow they have still gone to three Rose Bowls since 2010. Bill Snyder at Kansas State is another example. He has always gotten lowly ranked guys and JC recruits yet been a winner.

On the other end, Miami, Tennessee, USC, Michigan, and North Carolina are almost always in the top 25 and haven't won shit recently. Tennessee has been especially bad for where their recruits have been ranked. The more I have looked at it, the more I come to the realization that these rankings are mostly shit. What the rankings really prove is that coaching is the only thing that matters. Auburn under Chizik was going in the toilet despite highly ranked classes. Malzahn comes on board and they are playing in the title game.

Fuck the doogs that loved the sizzle of coming in third place for 5 star recruits. Kim and his lemoniers know their site is based on recruiting so they have to act like the rankings are so important. They're not and it takes no skill to rank Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Florida State, and Texas' classes at the top. Those schools always get great talent. I know that Peterman is putting a lot more effort in the bottom half of his classes than Sark did. Not to mention, the balance Peterman will have each class. For the dumb fucks who say Peterman won't take edgy or academically risky players, I present Vita Vea. I think a number of our lower ranked recruits that Peterman signed last year will turn out to be good players.

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    If he wins I'm not worried. Sark's 4 stars were shitty a good chunk of the time too. I couldn't care less about the stars and rankings and I bet Peter north and his staff dont either.

Again why is it so exciting to sign a bunch of 4 star recruits now just to have 50% of them switch by signing day? I liked Petersen in the interview where he said they aren't going to put time into kids who aren't interested.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I did that on purpose.... Also notice Seven's section is pink
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Rick is gold and Peterman is purple.

Well played sir.

But why's Gilby red? Like the meat he eats?

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Recruiting talk in August...LOVE IT!!1!
  • SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,450

Wonder what was happening during 2009 and 2012 when he was averaging around 2 in the pink?
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    dnc said:

Rick is gold and Peterman is purple.

Well played sir.

But why's Gilby red? Like the meat he eats?

Yea, the Rick and Peterman sections are purple and gold on purpose. I did red for Gilby because I consider it a bloody year.
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581

I realize it has already been beaten around quite a bit already. I had some free time today and was looking at these rankings. That's all the post was.

Star system defenders (at one point I was one) always throw out the adage that the best teams have the best recruiting rankings, but it's more complex than that. Some do, some don't. A great coach is much more inportant than any recruiting ranking (water is wet). These idiots on doogman are worried whether we will be ranked 15th or 25th in recruiting rankings when it doesn't matter at all.

Why do you hate offseason natty's?
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Who could forget all of Ty's Puget Sound All-stars.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    The rankings matter at the very top of the scale. Prior to FSU's NC, their classes were ranked #8, #6, #1 & #2 respectively. Sorry, those are ESPN numbers. And I am pretty sure you would see the same thing for over 98.3% of the last 15 national champs. Of course you need a good coach, but even a guy like Chizik can find a nut with high caliber players.

But after that there is no way to tell the difference between a ranked #67 and #367, and this is where the coaching aspect comes into play. And I believe Scout still uses class size in their metrics, which hurts a team like Mich St. who has taken some smaller classes in recent years, but still had over a 3* average.

I will trust Coach Pete over some fat guy who wears overalls at half-mast.
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627

I realize it has already been beaten around quite a bit already. I had some free time today and was looking at these rankings. That's all the post was.

Star system defenders (at one point I was one) always throw out the adage that the best teams have the best recruiting rankings, but it's more complex than that. Some do, some don't. A great coach is much more inportant than any recruiting ranking (water is wet). These idiots on doogman are worried whether we will be ranked 15th or 25th in recruiting rankings when it doesn't matter at all.

Well the "talent evaluators" (tbs) also basically base their ranking on offers. If a kid gets interest from Alabama he'll get his stars real quick.

If the tbs crew actually knew anything about evaluating teen boys, you'd frequently see 5 star kids with no big time offers. But no, they just asks kids who's offered them and rank accordingly.

And GOD FORBID a kid spit on the whole farce and skip some of their stupid camps (hi jake browning!), because the lemon party trio will eat you alive.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212

The rankings matter at the very top of the scale. Prior to FSU's NC, their classes were ranked #8, #6, #1 & #2 respectively. Sorry, those are ESPN numbers. And I am pretty sure you would see the same thing for over 98.3% of the last 15 national champs. Of course you need a good coach, but even a guy like Chizik can find a nut with high caliber players.

But after that there is no way to tell the difference between a ranked #67 and #367, and this is where the coaching aspect comes into play. And I believe Scout still uses class size in their metrics, which hurts a team like Mich St. who has taken some smaller classes in recent years, but still had over a 3* average.

I will trust Coach Pete over some fat guy who wears overalls at half-mast.

It's probably more like 81%
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    I'm with Irish on this one. At the very top it fucking matters. There are always a few guys ahead of the pack that you stand back and say, "holy fuck, he's a game changer".

After that, it's a fucking crap shoot of 6'4 self timed 4.4 40 4 stars that will either flourish or fail depending on coaching.

Development is king, but I still get excited about game changers.